A Question About Raid 0

FireFox

I'm thinking of doing something like that with a pair of 120GB or 240GB SSD's in the future for my beast built but someone said that I better make sure I back everything up because if one drive fails then you've lost your data (even though if you are rocking a single drive PC and it fails then you've lost your data anyway, so I can't see any additional problems compared to single drive computing) but what intrigued me is that he said that Raid 0 increases stress on the drives and increases the likelihood of a failure.

Is this true?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Well, technically, it doesn't introduce more stress or anything, but the problem is that you have two drives, so you now have a bigger chance of losing everything, because although both have the same chance of failing, now you have two drives that can fail, with either making you lose all data.

Hope that helps.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You have 2x the chance of data loss because if one drive out of two fails you lose everything. You can always just buy a 500-1000GB HDD and back up your data to it. 

In my opinion there is no point of having 2 SSDs in RAID0, I don't think that too many people need a 900+MB/s transfer speed.

Raid 0 will not put more stress on the drives. The stress is usually on the other raid levels because they swap data around to keep the drives balanced. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

As the users above me already said, you're putting more load on the sata-controler but not on the drives as it is in RAID 1.

On my personal opinion it's not worth to get SSD Raid. Get an SSD and an HDD.

You have 2x the chance of data loss because if one drive out of two fails you lose everything

But surely you have an equal chance of a hard drive failing in a single drive system?

Also about the 900MB/s speeds I was thinking as a program and OS drive/s, I thought the faster the better to reduce loading times.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

ssds are extermely relayable esspecally the plextor m5p/m5p xtreme almost enterprise grade

almost enterprise grade

Sweet, I love enterprise grade components.

You have 2x the chance of data loss because if one drive out of two fails you lose everything. You can always just buy a 500-1000GB HDD and back up your data to it. 

In my opinion there is no point of having 2 SSDs in RAID0, I don't think that too many people need a 900+MB/s transfer speed.

Raid 0 will not put more stress on the drives. The stress is usually on the other raid levels because they swap data around to keep the drives balanced. 

You should try two SSD's in RAID 0, no waiting at all! If you can't imagine it then yea, one SSD is fine, but living on the fast lane is well fast!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I'm thinking of building a computing monster, I've priced it up and so far its £5,400 which might take me till the end of time to save up for

Just buy good SSD's and you should be fine. You don't need to worry about anything unless you get a bad drive and you should never store valuable data on a RAID 0 anyways.

For storage I'm thinking of a single (and backed up) 4TB or so Caviar Red

For storage I'm thinking of a single (and backed up) 4TB or so Caviar Red

I recommend a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB instead, The WD RED drives are meant to be used for mass storage in RAID configurations. 

I would recommend the WD Black drives, but I used to have one and it was very loud, louder than all the fans in my system.

The Seagate Barracuda is quieter and a bit faster than the black in some tests that I did. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I'm not keen on Seagate drives, I've had a few mates in the past which the drives just locked up, I'd prefer WD drives (personal preference) because in 15 years or so playing with computers I've never had any problems apart from my own incompetance.

For backups, you might want to look at WD's RAID Edition drives. They're more baller versions of the RED drives ;)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Cool, gonna take note of that:)