Power To GPU

thdevi
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

So you mean you have a PSU with only one 6+2 pin PCIE power connector, but a GPU with with a 6+2 and 6 pin connector?

Best case scenario it will run, until you are fully loading the GPU in a game and it will crash, worst case it won't start up at all.

Don't do this though, if your PSU only has one PCIE power connector, it likely is not of sufficient quality with a beefy GPU.

what would happen if i plugged a 6+ 2 into a 8+6 Slot on a gpu would i just not get a signal

2 minutes ago, thdevi said:

what would happen if i plugged a 6+ 2 into a 8+6 Slot on a gpu would i just not get a signal

I wouldn't.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

So you mean you have a PSU with only one 6+2 pin PCIE power connector, but a GPU with with a 6+2 and 6 pin connector?

Best case scenario it will run, until you are fully loading the GPU in a game and it will crash, worst case it won't start up at all.

Don't do this though, if your PSU only has one PCIE power connector, it likely is not of sufficient quality with a beefy GPU.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I know i have enough power to power it iv ordered a molex to 6pin for it which apparently will work

10 minutes ago, thdevi said:

I know i have enough power to power it iv ordered a molex to 6pin for it which apparently will work

molex to 6 pin is not recommended, not for a system you care about.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

molex to 6 pin is not recommended, not for a system you care about.

why what will happen? also its not perminant just for a few weeks

Just now, thdevi said:

why what will happen? also its not perminant just for a few weeks

The power delivery of molex is not appropriate for a power hungry GPU. Anything from the PSU dying to cables melting is possible. I speak from firsthand experience

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The power delivery of molex is not appropriate for a power hungry GPU. Anything from the PSU dying to cables melting is possible. I speak from firsthand experience

how long did yours take to meal or your psu dying also its a 2xmolex to 6 pin if that makes a differance

Just now, thdevi said:

how long did yours take to meal or your psu dying also its a 2xmolex to 6 pin if that makes a differance

I was running a 780 off a PCIe 8 pin + a dual molex to 6 pin, that was the death of both the PSU and the motherboard. When a crappy PSU dies it usually takes something with it.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I was running a 780 off a PCIe 8 pin + a dual molex to 6 pin, that was the death of both the PSU and the motherboard. When a crappy PSU dies it usually takes something with it.

Is Mine Crappy 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JKVHKSU?pf_rd_p=330fbd82-d4fe-42e5-9c16-d4b886747c64&pf_rd_r=Q6SYC9XRT7F12AZ5RK0Z

4 minutes ago, thdevi said:

the integrator is a super cheapo model. definitely not recommended.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, thdevi said:

What GPU are you trying to power with that firebrick? 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

980 my friend has been using a molex to 6 pin for almost a year and it worked fine and he has a 980 also

Maybe you could put the power limit to like 50% or so so you shouldn't overload it but can enjoy it for the time being? :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

17 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

33 minutes ago, thdevi said:

980 my friend has been using a molex to 6 pin for almost a year and it worked fine and he has a 980 also

Some win the gamble, some lose. I choose not to gamble at all.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Some win the gamble, some lose. I choose not to gamble at all.

can i just wrap it up then if it mealts its not everywhere