Awful Cpu temps

Cygi

Hello people of the internet. 

For a month I have had experienced a problem where my Cpu temps would spike over 90 C. I have an i7 7700k with Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 cooling and I have never had this problem. I used to run 4,8 Ghz barely touching 80 C on full load, now on 4,5 Ghz playing metro exodus Im getting over 85 C. I turned off the Oc, changed thermal paste to a high end one and set bios options to default without any results its just getting worse and worse. It all started when I tried overclocking it to 4,9 Ghz.On idle I have around 45  C. It came to the point that my room feels like a sauna.  I ll note that I used to park my cpu. I need your help. Thanks in advance 

image.png

1 - What are your ambient temperatures like?

2 - What thermal paste are you using?

3 - What voltage is the CPU running at, and what voltages have you run it at before? Auto voltage may be unreasonably high...

4 - Are you sure that nothing has changed in the mounting of the cooler? I found that my Intel Stock Cooler just happened to unmount one of its clips one and and my system stuttered horribly until I fixed it.

5 - Are you sure that the cooler fans are spinning, and at the same speed they were before?

Sig under construction.

If this just started happening to you, then you should check if your CPU fan works properly, check if nothing's come loose due to vibrations or anything else, and you could also change the thermal paste.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Tedster said:

1 - What are your ambient temperatures like?

2 - What thermal paste are you using?

3 - What voltage is the CPU running at, and what voltages have you run it at before? Auto voltage may be unreasonably high...

4 - Are you sure that nothing has changed in the mounting of the cooler? I found that my Intel Stock Cooler just happened to unmount one of its clips one and and my system stuttered horribly until I fixed it.

5 - Are you sure that the cooler fans are spinning, and at the same speed they were before?

1. When using the pc I would say close to 30 C

2.thermal grizzly kryonaut

3. I don’t remember now but stock, I reseted the bios

4. i remounted it, the cooler sits perfectly 

5. Spinning like they used to, I cleaned them, 2000 rpm

Is it possible that there is a program changing the voltage of my cpu? I’ll check it when I wake up (EU time zone)

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

If this just started happening to you, then you should check if your CPU fan works properly, check if nothing's come loose due to vibrations or anything else, and you could also change the thermal paste.

Nope, everything is normal. I’ve changed it already 

IDK how likely a solution this is, but after checking everything else I'd consider delidding and replacing the stock TIM before concluding the CPU die has just degraded.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

6 hours ago, Cygi said:

5. Spinning like they used to, I cleaned them, 2000 rpm

The DR3 fan should only go up to 1400rpm. Check and make sure which header the fan is plugged into. If it was plugged into a system header, the fan speed could be pretty low and explain your temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

IDK how likely a solution this is, but after checking everything else I'd consider delidding and replacing the stock TIM before concluding the CPU die has just degraded.

Too much hassle, I have had this CPU for just over a year and I’m planning for an upgrade soon

6 hours ago, quakeguy said:

Speccy is a really bad program for monitoring temperatures.  It was last updated over a year ago.  I personally would use something like HWinfo (sensors) or HWmonitor (both free).

I know, I heard about that. Though I can feel it’s running hot af

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The DR3 fan should only go up to 1400rpm. Check and make sure which header the fan is plugged into. If it was plugged into a system header, the fan speed could be pretty low and explain your temps. 

It’s plugged into the Cpu fan 

Core voltage stays in between 1.150-1.160 V . I noticed Intel Turbo boost is set to on by default, I turned it off for now. 4,20 GHz full load 69 degrees 

34 minutes ago, Cygi said:

It’s plugged into the Cpu fan 

Ah, I'd forgotten than the fan's six-pole motor ends up reporting 1.5x rpm. 

8 hours ago, Cygi said:

1. When using the pc I would say close to 30 C

What were ambient temps before? Your load temps are a bit high but they seem normal considering the high ambient temps. 

What case are you using and how's your airflow configured?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, I'd forgotten than the fan's six-pole motor ends up reporting 1.5x rpm. 

What were ambient temps before? Your load temps are a bit high but they seem normal considering the high ambient temps. 

What case are you using and how's your airflow configured?

I mean it all started in summer but I doubt that’s the case, because when the room is cold right after the night the temps stay the same. I’m using a case that came with 3 rather cheap 120 mm fans, one at the back and 2 at the front

7 hours ago, Cygi said:

Core voltage stays in between 1.150-1.160 V . I noticed Intel Turbo boost is set to on by default, I turned it off for now. 4,20 GHz full load 69 degrees 

Under same load that gave you 90C temps? I ask because voltages are the usual issue with bad temps. And stock/auto isn't solution, it's more reason as Intel chipset has had issues with this since Devils Canyon.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Under same load that gave you 90C temps? I ask because voltages are the usual issue with bad temps. And stock/auto isn't solution, it's more reason as Intel chipset has had issues with this since Devils Canyon.

yes same load, anything under 1.130 V crashes. Still even playing games I have 70 C

12 minutes ago, Cygi said:

yes same load, anything under 1.130 V crashes. Still even playing games I have 70 C

Well, that part can be attributed to fact that its just bad CPU, or that you have bad luck with it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Well, that part can be attributed to fact that its just bad CPU, or that you have bad luck with it.

Well everything used to be okay with it... should I use my warranty?

13 minutes ago, Cygi said:

Well everything used to be okay with it... should I use my warranty?

Warranty won't help you. Whatever is going on is probably just normal degradation of silicon.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I will add that some programs just wont work, like vegas pro will crash every time. Im so confused

2 hours ago, Cygi said:

I will add that some programs just wont work, like vegas pro will crash every time. Im so confused

Just upgrade your cpu at this point, but only if you were already planning to. It looks like your CPU has aged really badly, and I would definitely upgrade if it were me and I could afford it. If you can use the warranty to get a replacement for free, go for it and see if it helps. Otherwise, upgrade. Some good new options would be the AMD ryzen 7 3700x & 3800x, or the core i7-9700k. I'd personally go ryzen for the better value if I were you, though. If your going mid-range, go for a ryzen 5 3600, or the 2600 if your budget falls short. If you want to go intel at that price point, go for an i5-9600k. Hope this helped!

Edit: Did you try DDU and reinstalling the drivers? It just came into my head to try that

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

10 hours ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Just upgrade your cpu at this point, but only if you were already planning to. It looks like your CPU has aged really badly, and I would definitely upgrade if it were me and I could afford it. If you can use the warranty to get a replacement for free, go for it and see if it helps. Otherwise, upgrade. Some good new options would be the AMD ryzen 7 3700x & 3800x, or the core i7-9700k. I'd personally go ryzen for the better value if I were you, though. If your going mid-range, go for a ryzen 5 3600, or the 2600 if your budget falls short. If you want to go intel at that price point, go for an i5-9600k. Hope this helped!

Edit: Did you try DDU and reinstalling the drivers? It just came into my head to try that

Well, I will need to wait a little cause I’m running low on money. I used the warranty and no I haven’t done it. The thing that worries me is that it happened so suddenly while I was trying to overclock. Thanks for help dude

Maybe try another progeam than kombuster, maybe cinebench. Will give you a more realistic scenario. Have you considered delidding? Did it recently on a pals PC with a 7700k and noctua NH-D14 - about 60c full load (IBT for about 2 h) @5ghz, 1.325v - ambient temp must have been around 20-25c (at most)  

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Maybe try another progeam than kombuster, maybe cinebench. Will give you a more realistic scenario. Have you considered delidding? Did it recently on a pals PC with a 7700k and noctua NH-D14 - about 60c full load (IBT for about 2 h) @5ghz, 1.325v - ambient temp must have been around 20-25c (at most)  

I don’t see the point in delidding as I’m planning to upgrade in a couple of months. I also ran stress tests on intel XTU, same temps. I said earlier but even in metro exodus I’m getting over 85 C

19 hours ago, Cygi said:

I don’t see the point in delidding as I’m planning to upgrade in a couple of months. I also ran stress tests on intel XTU, same temps. I said earlier but even in metro exodus I’m getting over 85 C

Fair enough :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 8/29/2019 at 4:07 AM, Cygi said:

Well, I will need to wait a little cause I’m running low on money. I used the warranty and no I haven’t done it. The thing that worries me is that it happened so suddenly while I was trying to overclock. Thanks for help dude

No problem!

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9