Best AM4 air cooler for Ryzen 3600 in Core V1

Falcon1986

I recently built a compact ITX Ryzen system for portability and am quite satisfied with it except for the high temperatures and resultant throttling on full load. The components of concern are as follows:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1 (stock 200mm fan intake at front, 2x 80mm fans exhaust at rear)

Motherboard: MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC

CPU: Ryzen 3600 with stock cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB

Because of the small internal environment of the Core V1, I knew there would be challenges with temperature, especially since I live in a tropical climate. Idle CPU temperatures are in the upper 50 to 60-degree C range, but on synthetic stress tests the CPU temperature is getting above 95 degrees C and not achieving full 4.2GHz speeds. Now I'm not planning to overclock this system to cause more heat production, but should I be concerned about those high temperatures on load? I would be more comfortable with temperatures under 85-90 degrees C with air cooling preferred. Given the 140mm height limit for CPU coolers in this case, the close proximity of the RAM modules and VRM heatspreaders, what would be your recommendation?

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Photos: one, two

Are you sure you can't fit a larger cooler in the case? The product page and some systems on pcpartpicker show the NiC L31 fitting just fine which is 160mm tall. https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/fGvRsY#h=338

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don’t have any problems shopping at the major online retailers (Amazon, Newegg, eBay) and I’d like to keep the budget under $100... even less if the price for performance is good.

I like the downdraft-type coolers for their ability to also cool the VRMs. However, the issue I have with the tall ones in this case is that their height might cause them to be too close to the glass window “roof” panel of the Core V1 and cause turbulent air flow. I know I can swap out the panel for an all-metal perforated one, but dust would easily accumulate in the case with time.

59 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I don’t have any problems shopping at the major online retailers (Amazon, Newegg, eBay) and I’d like to keep the budget under $100... even less if the price for performance is good.

I like the downdraft-type coolers for their ability to also cool the VRMs. However, the issue I have with the tall ones in this case is that their height might cause them to be too close to the glass window “roof” panel of the Core V1 and cause turbulent air flow. I know I can swap out the panel for an all-metal perforated one, but dust would easily accumulate in the case with time.

So shopping in the US?

Being close to the panel shouldn't be an issue. Better vrm cooling is nice but there's still ample cooling from tower type coolers and case airflow.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

too close to the glass window

I believe you can mount the fan to the underside of the heat sink if case clearance is an issue, but you might lose some ram clearance.

If ram clearance turns out to be an issue you could always go from a 140mm to a 120mm or try a slim fan

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 2:58 PM, GoldenLag said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y27CmG/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk020

Dark rock TF. its 131mm. then its got 1cm to grab air aswell as it does downdraft to cool the VRM. 

So I installed the Dark Rock TF with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and, I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed!

Firstly, the Dark Rock TF fits perfectly in this case. Heat pipes cleared the RAM modules and VRM heat spreaders without a problem. However, because this HSF "gets bigger" as it gets taller (like an inverted pyramid), my two 80mm exhaust fans became the only hindrance. Anyway, I simply fixed that by mounting them on the outside of the case. There is about a 1.5" gap between the case lid and top fan of the HSF, but this doesn't seem to hinder the performance of this air cooler.

Secondly, idle temperatures have dropped to 45-50 degrees C, single core temperature has seen a max of 65 degrees C on load and multi-core temperature max of 75 degrees C! I feel more comfortable now with these temperatures.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!