Spotify refuses to fix a bad driving hazard, calls it a feature instead.

31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Selfish pricks playing with their phones have been making driving a larger risk for everyone for years.

Eloquently put.  Seeing how passionate you are about this, why would you not support anything that would lower this risk?

2 minutes ago, IAmSandor said:

why would you not support anything that would lower this risk?

I am. Spotify trying not let you interact with their app in a situation where you should not be interacting with your phone AT ALL is something that does more to lower the risk of death than the other companies outright embracing it.

But continue your libelous claims that Spotify is making the situation worse. Continue enabling this self centered behavior.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I am. Spotify trying not let you interact with their app in a situation where you should not be interacting with your phone AT ALL is something that does more to lower the risk of death than the other companies outright embracing it.

In this case wouldn't it be better if the phone was completely inoperable while it is in motion - as opposed to now, where you can still unlock it except it requires you to stare at it or touch the fingerprint sensor?  I assume you agree with that.  And if you do, you must agree that until the 'inoperable functionality' is implemented it is safer to have the phone not go to sleep at all. 

1 minute ago, IAmSandor said:

you must agree that until the 'inoperable functionality' is implemented it is safer to have the phone not go to sleep at all. 

No, I don't. That statement is illogical. Only someone trying to justify their shitty, self centered behavior would argue for that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only someone trying to justify their shitty, self centered behavior would argue for that.

Thank you for summarising your position on this topic.  It will be interesting to see how many on this forum agree with your sentiment.  Feel free to have the final word on this, I will refrain from replying to your post.  

31 minutes ago, IAmSandor said:

In this case wouldn't it be better if the phone was completely inoperable while it is in motion - as opposed to now, where you can still unlock it except it requires you to stare at it or touch the fingerprint sensor?  I assume you agree with that.  And if you do, you must agree that until the 'inoperable functionality' is implemented it is safer to have the phone not go to sleep at all. 

Unless you have a handsfree set on thats the recommended way to have your phone whilst driving in the UK. You are not supposed to touch your phones controls whilst driving. Period.For any reason.

Is Spotify not allowing music streaming while the phone is locked? That's messed up. This is only asking for problems to arise when people inevitably go to unlock and then get into an accident. 

And no, the issue isn't just on the driver, it's on Spotify as well if they're stopping playback after a few minutes post-lock. It's an easy fix from Spotify and would likely prevent idiots from grabbing their phones while driving in the first place. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Is Spotify not allowing music streaming while the phone is locked?

No, the music still plays while the phone is locked.

32 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Is Spotify not allowing music streaming while the phone is locked? That's messed up. This is only asking for problems to arise when people inevitably go to unlock and then get into an accident.  

And no, the issue isn't just on the driver, it's on Spotify as well if they're stopping playback after a few minutes post-lock. It's an easy fix from Spotify and would likely prevent idiots from grabbing their phones while driving in the first place.  

The music still continues to play. The people criticizing Spotify are saying they want to look at album art and the progress bar while driving.

Spotify don't let them do that anymore because it follows the OS's screen timeout rather than keeping the phone unlocked as long as it's plugged in.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

they want to look at album art and the progress bar while driving.

which is a pretty weaksauce excuse.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The music still continues to play. The people criticizing Spotify are saying they want to look at album art and the progress bar while driving.

Spotify don't let them do that anymore because it follows the OS's screen timeout rather than keeping the phone unlocked as long as it's plugged in.

What's the issue then? I could understand the cover, but the bar? 

These users are dumb AF.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

My phone connects to my car via bluetooth.. so i just press the forward and back buttons on the head unit in the car.

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

What's the issue then?

Entitlement,  over hyped sense of importance, lack of critical thinking, complete ignorance regarding personal responsibility, take your pick.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

What's the issue then? I could understand the cover, but the bar?  

These users are dumb AF.

The only decent argument I've seen in this thread is (at least my interpretation of it) that people will fiddle with their phones to change music and whatnot regardless, so it's best to keep it as simple as possible. And realistically, I can't think of any drawback to making it an optional feature to keep the screen on at all times when it's loading.

My problem with this thread are the people saying Spotify are now causing a "driving hazard", or that if something happens it's Spotify's responsibility.

That's in my opinion a really dumb argument to make. But I guess "Spotify remove function for keeping screen on while charging" is not exactly as catching of a title as "Spotify refuses to fix a bad driving hazard".

I think OP's attempt to sway people onto their side has backfired a bit though.

as much as I like the idea of using your phone as a second touch screen radio/media/Satnav etc. This is probably on the back of news about hand-free's supposedly becoming illegal due to 'distractions'
want a simple solution? get a bluetooth media controller for your car (you can get universal ones that fit onto steering wheel) and deal with either making playlists before driving, or the old skip through tracks till you find one you want on.
Not perfect by any means, but still safer that looking at a phone while you scroll through selections instead of looking at the road.
I never even noticed this update, but then again I'm the type to just connect my phone via Bluetooth and use the mentioned steering wheel controller, leaving my phone in my pocket or the cup holder.
DON'T text and drive
DON'T scroll and drive
DON'T look at your phone in anyway and drive

13 hours ago, IAmSandor said:

Thank you for summarising your position on this topic.  It will be interesting to see how many on this forum agree with your sentiment.  Feel free to have the final word on this, I will refrain from replying to your post.  

I feel confident saying that the vast majority of people responding hold a similar position as @Drak3 - myself included.

Yes, some people will operate their phone while driving, including messing with Spotify (to, uh, "look at album art", etc).

But hey, some people also drive without wearing a seat belt. Can't fix stupid.

Spotify has no legal - nor moral - liability in this scenario. If people choose to disregard safe driving practices (and driving laws, in most places) and decide to fiddle with the phone and unlock it for some stupid reason, that's on them.

Because, let's be honest, iOS already includes all the tools needed to operate the phone and play music hands free - without touching it. Even if your car doesn't have steering wheel controls that work over Bluetooth (My car has Bluetooth and it has steering controls - the controls only work when I'm hard wired in).

How?

Siri.

Just ask Siri to change the song. Or ask Siri what song is playing. Or what artist. Or basically anything else you'd need to do besides looking at the fucking album art (which is entirely unsafe and anyone who intentionally wants to look at Album Art while driving is a goddamn moron, and is an unsafe driver who is putting themselves, and everyone else around them on the road, in immediate danger).

Quite simply, people need to take responsibility for their own dangerous actions.

Because the argument that "they're going to do it anyway" is simply bullshit. Especially since if Spotify did make it easier, because "they're going to do it anyway", one could simply claim that now Spotify is encouraging people to use the phone while driving - and that would be an even worse liability for them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

We had to make a mixed tape in my day,  no internet, no skip forward, no instant replay let alone internet while driving a car and instant skip/replay at the touch of a single button.  People these days have the ability to have so much more without taking your eyes off the road and yet they still complain about a few touches or missing a picture.

This thread reminds me what the Human race is losing by having everything at its fingertips. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, IAmSandor said:

I'm too lazy to go back and find the post you said in Australia it's illegal to have any moving objects showing on your phone screen while driving (besides GPS which is allowed)

You're progress bar for the song is moving, so that means it's illegal.

Quit complaining about not being allowed to fiddle with your phone while driving and keep your eyes on the road before you run over someone's innocent kid because you were too busy trying to look at some stupid cover art for a song.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, colonel_mortis said:

@IAmSandor please can you update your post to comply with the Tech News Posting Guidelines. In particular, can you include a quote from the source that you are citing.

I have now moved the topic to Programs, Apps and Websites. If the topic is updated, I can move it back.

HTTP/2 203

To all of you who argue that the Spotify is doing this to make driving safer ... explain why they have a driving mode showing you big buttons that make fiddling with your phone easier.

2 hours ago, IAmSandor said:

To all of you who argue that the Spotify is doing this to make driving safer ... explain why they have a driving mode showing you big buttons that make fiddling with your phone easier.

Why they did this is irrelevant. The argument that this makes things more dangerous is incorrect because either way it’s dangerous.

Want to see what’s in the app? Disable the screen lock. But you have zero need to actually touch the screen, ever, while driving. 

Use Siri or use steering wheel controls if your car has them. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why they did this is irrelevant.

LOL ... irrelevant.  Yeah, ok.  Clearly you missed the entire point of this topic.  

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The argument that this makes things more dangerous is incorrect because either way it’s dangerous.

That makes zero sense ... something cannot be more dangerous than something else cause both are dangerous???
Please... 

18 minutes ago, IAmSandor said:

LOL ... irrelevant.  Yeah, ok.  Clearly you missed the entire point of this topic.  

That makes zero sense ... something cannot be more dangerous than something else cause both are dangerous???
Please... 

It’s less dangerous because it encourages you to leave the phone alone, seeing as how if it’s easier to operate it encourages you to use it more. 

I just find your argument that “people are

going to do it anyway” ridiculous. 

Want to mess with the phone? Use Siri and use voice controls. 

Let's see if I understand this correctly.  Spotify used to keep the phone screen on at all times while playing (unless you manually locked it of course), but now it allows the screen to timeout as it normally would and go black and lock?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.