Spotify refuses to fix a bad driving hazard, calls it a feature instead.

Been trying to get Spotify to fix a bug ... found community backlash .. then this on Reddit ... https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/csawse/spotify_refuses_to_fix_driving_hazard_calls_it_a/

The issue is that when you play music using Spotify while driving and plugged into the power the screen still locks.  So people driving need to either keep tapping the phone every minute, or have to re-auth to unlock it using face ID.  Pretty unsafe in my book.

It is amazing how a company just refuses to fix an actual bug they introduced and everyone is telling them is a driving hazard.

And the way they try to just fob everyone off is amazing ... such arrogance.

This might be a good story for TechQuickie

Edited by IAmSandor

the latest software update disabled the ability to keep the screen open while recharging. After numerous reports of users being asked to reauthenticate with their iPhones every few minutes while driving, the music company has so far refused to acknowledge the community's safety concerns and has instead decided to promote this as a 'feature'.

Surely you shouldn't be touching your phone at all when driving, so this shouldn't be an issue

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Not sure this classifies as "news" per se...

Seems Spotify are trying to discourage interacting with the device at all during driving. This could be bypassed itself in iOS however. Given that the phone is on the charger when this "feature" occurs, there should be no problem with extending the time to have the screen power off.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

KeepScreenOn might be a temporary solution.  That will prevent the screen from turning off regardless of what app is on the foreground. 

It's never a good idea to manipulate a touchscreen while driving though.  Your eyes are off the road much too long.

Here's the thing ... the screen locks even when phone is on desk plugged into power.

No other Music app - including Apple's and YouTube's locks while it is playing.

It really is a strange and unwanted 'feature' and people are rightly pissed about it.

Not really that big of a deal imo.

Spotify starts up when my phone connects to my car's stereo via bluetooth, and then I can go to the next/last track, play/pause, and control volume from there. No need to touch my phone unless I want to change playlists, but something like that shouldn't be done while you're driving anyways.

Not really something for people to be "pissed" about. Annoyed? sure, but pissed? nah.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't mind this, I have finger print unlock and shortcut button to play next or previous or repeat the song. 

I also use Bluetooth with my car and I have the option to keep the screen unlock when connected to Bluetooth if I want it. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

45 minutes ago, IAmSandor said:

Been trying to get Spotify to fix a bug ... found community backlash .. then this on Reddit ... https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/csawse/spotify_refuses_to_fix_driving_hazard_calls_it_a/

The issue is that when you play music using Spotify while driving and plugged into the power the screen still locks.  So people driving need to either keep tapping the phone every minute, or have to re-auth to unlock it using face ID.  Pretty unsafe in my book.

It is amazing how a company just refuses to fix an actual bug they introduced and everyone is telling them is a driving hazard.

This doesn't appear to be a bug, but a feature to designed to not allow playing with the phone while the vehicle is in motion. If the car has the Apple/Google car integration software, then the car itself should let you skip tracks from it's own controls when plugged into the car via USB. If you're using generic cigarette lighter 12V-to-USB adapter, then of course the phone will think you're driving with it on.

Particularly with OLED screens, you probably don't want it to have the screen lit up the entire time.

My issue with Spotify is that when I'm walking with it, it does NOT lock, and somehow will randomly skip forward or stop entirely like I had touched it, even if I've kicked it back to the lock screen.

For reference, it's illegal to have your phone within reach in BC, Canada while driving.

Last time I checked listening to music was not compulsory,  so this doesn't sound like a safety issue.  If someone thinks music is more important than driving the car and has to tap on the screen all the time then they are a bad driver.   There are plenty of other options for music that are set and forget.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It sounds like a legitimate bug. However, I don't share the opinion that you should be able to use your phone while driving. If you really find it necessary to use then you should get a car with these services integrated.

Here in Belgium, it's prohibited by law to use your phone while driving. Handsfree is allowed.

@IAmSandor please can you update your post to comply with the Tech News Posting Guidelines. In particular, can you include a quote from the source that you are citing.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, IAmSandor said:

Not much of a big deal for me It's illegal here. Only voice command control is legal and it doesn't work on my A5 with Spotify. I have stopped using Spotify since.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

This doesn't appear to be a bug, but a feature to designed to not allow playing with the phone while the vehicle is in motion. If the car has the Apple/Google car integration software, then the car itself should let you skip tracks from it's own controls when plugged into the car via USB. If you're using generic cigarette lighter 12V-to-USB adapter, then of course the phone will think you're driving with it on.

Particularly with OLED screens, you probably don't want it to have the screen lit up the entire time.

My issue with Spotify is that when I'm walking with it, it does NOT lock, and somehow will randomly skip forward or stop entirely like I had touched it, even if I've kicked it back to the lock screen.

For reference, it's illegal to have your phone within reach in BC, Canada while driving.

Are you not allowed to use your phone as a GPS?

That's an F in the profile pic

20 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Are you not allowed to use your phone as a GPS?

Must like my province. It's not unless it's 100% handsfree. If you have to touch it for information or reroute it's not legal. If you want to touch it you have to be in neutral (manual car) or park (in automatic) and ignition must be off.

So do I understand the issue here correctly.

You used to be able to keep the screen on while playing music on Spotify and then they removed that feature.

This in turn means that people who used to click on the touch screen on their phones to change music now has to unlock it before switching.

Is that correct?

I'd say this isn't on Spotify to fix. If your car is not equipped with some kind of Bluetooth system with music control then maybe you shouldn't be fiddling with your phone at all. Yes, this change means you need more fiddling that you did before, but it's not like what you did before was that good either.

And no, this isn't Spotify "refusing to fix a driving hazard". The only hazard is the driver choosing to fiddle around with music on their phone rather than pay attention to the road. That is not a Spotify problem, that's on the driver.

Sounds like a good feature. You shouldn't be messing with your phone while driving anyway.

1 hour ago, Franck said:

Must like my province. It's not unless it's 100% handsfree. If you have to touch it for information or reroute it's not legal. If you want to touch it you have to be in neutral (manual car) or park (in automatic) and ignition must be off.

So lemme see if I understand yohr province's laws. If it is 105 degrees Fahrenheit out, and I pull off into a parking lot to check Maps and reroute, I need to shut off the engine, and consequently the AC? A little excessive a requirement there, is it not?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, IAmSandor said:

I don't see what the issue is. Having the screen lock itself after a couple of minutes has been a pivotal feature of mobile technology for years now.

What's the deal with it being a Spotify 'bug'? It's not like you need to change song every minute, do you? Just slap on  a playlist and you're done, it's not hard. If you want to skip, just wait at a red traffic light and move on.

It's not a driving hazard at all, Spotify is a music streamer, it doesn't need your 100% attention on the road.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

12 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So lemme see if I understand yohr province's laws. If it is 105 degrees Fahrenheit out, and I pull off into a parking lot to check Maps and reroute, I need to shut off the engine, and consequently the AC? A little excessive a requirement there, is it not?

I don't think so. Unless to reroute it takes you and hour and half. Personally it's max a minute and once the air is cool it stay that way at least 10-15 minutes so it's not a problem. Anyway i have voice control for that

That moment when your car has a really good Bluetooth streaming solution where even the steering wheel controls change the track.

No CarPlay/AA though, only MirrorLink, and while Spotify works fine, MirrorLink kinda sucks.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Personally, I consider ANY touchscreen-interaction in the first place a hazard in a moving vehicle, if it's the person operating the vehicle doing it. Actual physical knobs and buttons can be operated simply with finger-feel, touchscreen can't. If anything, I'd make it illegal to operate any touchscreen at all by the person operating the vehicle.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.