Cooling a 9900k

jasonw99

Planning to upgrade to 9900k and would like to achieve a moderate to high OC, can I do this on a large air cooler or is water a must? Any suggestions for a cooler that's not too expensive?

What cooler, case, and ram do you currently have?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have a stock CPU cooler right now, a Meshify C and 16GB 2133mhz RAM. I'm keeping the case and upgrading the other 2.

In the UK, around and I'd say maybe £100 on the cooler? The budget is kinda flexible though.

4 minutes ago, jasonw99 said:

I have a stock CPU cooler right now, a Meshify C and 16GB 2133mhz RAM. I'm keeping the case and upgrading the other 2.

In the UK, around and I'd say maybe £100 on the cooler? The budget is kinda flexible though.

for 100 pounds i'd go directly to the Noctua NH-D15, it should be the best air cooler around

why not a noctua nhd15

I say air coolers. Linus even made a vid where a beefy air cooler beat a much more expensive AIO by quite a bit

1 minute ago, Epimetheus said:

for 100 pounds i'd go directly to the Noctua NH-D15, it should be the best air cooler around

How much of an OC could I expect from a D15?

1 minute ago, The_Tron said:

why not a noctua nhd15

I say air coolers. Linus even made a vid where a beefy air cooler beat a much more expensive AIO by quite a bit

Yeah I've seen that video, but can a large air cooler work as well as an AIO on a 9900k?

Im pretty sure so, or better

Just now, jasonw99 said:

Yeah I've seen that video, but can a large air cooler work as well as an AIO on a 9900k?

for what he's found out on that video the aio and the nh d15 kept the processor at the same temperature, and for 100 dollars you'd only get average aio

2 hours ago, jasonw99 said:

Can you be more specific about the ram? If the ram is too tall, that would limit the coolers that may fit. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

36 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you be more specific about the ram? If the ram is too tall, that would limit the coolers that may fit. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them

I'll likely be upgrading to Corsair Vengeance RAM, which are pretty short dimms. PCPartpicker hasn't flagged anything.

5 minutes ago, jasonw99 said:

I'll likely be upgrading to Corsair Vengeance RAM, which are pretty short dimms. PCPartpicker hasn't flagged anything.

Which Vengeance? LPX? RGB?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Which Vengeance? LPX? RGB?

LPX

3 minutes ago, jasonw99 said:

LPX

Ok, that fits under pretty much every cooler. And as for your question about OCing. D15 and be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro are the best air coolers you can get. Both beat 240-280mm AIOs. And can even trade blows with bigger AIOs. So you should be able to get whatever the average for that chip is (5.1GHz?)with decent load temps. But what the actual numbers are depend on the chip itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, jasonw99 said:

LPX

LPX is standard height which all coolers are designed to clear. 

As mentioned, the NH-D15 is about as good as it gets.

Alternatively, you could get the NH-D15S with an additional NF-A15 for better pcie clearance: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/znPfrH/noctua-case-fan-nfa15pwm

If you want to save a bit of money, you could just go with the cheaper Macho Rev. B: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

or just the NH-D15S without the extra fan.  

11 hours ago, jasonw99 said:

Planning to upgrade to 9900k and would like to achieve a moderate to high OC, can I do this on a large air cooler or is water a must? Any suggestions for a cooler that's not too expensive?

Curious, do you already have a compatible motherboard?

NHd15, Dark Rock Pro 4, Scythe Ninja 5

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ok, that fits under pretty much every cooler. And as for your question about OCing. D15 and be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro are the best air coolers you can get. Both beat 240-280mm AIOs. And can even trade blows with bigger AIOs. So you should be able to get whatever the average for that chip is (5.1GHz?)with decent load temps. But what the actual numbers are depend on the chip itself. 

I thought they competed with 240mm AIO's

20 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Curious, do you already have a compatible motherboard?

NHd15, Dark Rock Pro 4, Scythe Ninja 5

I thought they competed with 240mm AIO's

They are proven to be better performing, not just better price/performance ratio. Only triple-rads perform better, but would still lose in price/performance.

There are still situations where SIO can be seriously considered, but then buyer has something else beside performance or noise as priority (looks, case support, bias etc).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Can attest to some of these.  I have D15 cooling 9900k, using corsair LPX.  They fit under almost anything, def the D15 as well.

Multiple people have tested D15 and DRP4 against 100$+ aios and they can hang for sure.  At stock no difference (except the D15 is quieter).

In terms of OC, yes you can potentially get an OC but chip dependent.  I got kind of a hot chip that requires somewhat higher voltages to be stable at 5.1 and 5.2 respectively.  Due to that, the D15 cant keep up with the 5.2 (start spiking over 100, def not stable) but I have gotten 5.1 stable.  If I was lucky as some of these folks who post their stable 5.1 OC at 1.28-1.30v then I am certain I could get 5.2 stable, but unfortunately mine won't stay stable at 5.1 without a Vcore over 1.35, so it gets hot.  The D15 should be able to do all core 5.0 (still super fast) and might be able to do 5.1.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar