3900x and/or Asrock x570 defective or just junk?

I’m sick and tired of fighting with stability problems.

Just bought all of this stuff...installed windows. Ran Userbenchmark and got good results except for ram performance. 

Go look in BIOS and see it’s only running at 2133Mhz. Enable XMP. Ram shows up running at 3200mhz. Boot back into windows and it starts BSODing. Go switch it off it goes back down to 2133mhz and it starts seemingly working fine again. Enable it again and then same thing BSOD.

The ram I have is G Skill tridentz 3200

I did some testing with Memtest and this is what I’m seeing...

Asrock x570 Tiachi

4 sticks @ 3200mhz - errors

4 sticks @ 2133mhz - no errors

3 sticks (slots 1-3 furthest from cpu empty (slot 4)) @ 3200 - no errors

3 sticks slots 1,2,4  @ 3200- no errors

1 stick (assumed bad) slot 4 - no errors (WTF)

4 sticks @ 3200 - errors

3 sticks slot 2-4 @ 3200 - errors

3 sticks slot 2-4 (memory stick from slot 1 in slot 4) @ 3200mhz - no errors but it BSOD when i accidentally let it boot into windows instead of memtest, like WTF.

Should this board not function correctly at 3200Mhz with 4 sticks of RAM? Is there some magical unicorn buried information that the board won’t function with 4 sticks of ram @ 3200mhz on days that end in Y, is the board defective or just a piece of shit? 

I can’t pinpoint what’s wrong and can’t figure out definitively if something is defective or it’s not supposed to work. Im so irritated with this stuff it’s unreal. Any clue?

try upping your SOC voltage. You can safely up it to 1.2v for 24/7 usage. Its common knowledge that the SOC voltages on most boards when DOCP/XMP is enabled is not enough and causes the BSOD. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

try upping your SOC voltage. You can safely up it to 1.2v for 24/7 usage. Its common knowledge that the SOC voltages on most boards when DOCP/XMP is enabled is not enough and causes the BSOD. 

So by default is this _not_ supposed to run at 3200Mhz? Is it supposed to run at 2133Mhz and that’s it’s “native” speed? I’m confused. I don’t care to O/C, is that what this is doing? 

Why would people be recommending 3200 or 3000Mhz ram if that’s not what these things are supposed to run at?

Whats SOC voltage?

4 minutes ago, kur1j said:

So by default is this _not_ supposed to run at 3200Mhz? Is it supposed to run at 2133Mhz and that’s it’s “native” speed? I’m confused. I don’t care to O/C, is that what this is doing? 

Why would people be recommending 3200 or 3000Mhz ram if that’s not what these things are supposed to run at?

Whats SOC voltage?

by default it will run at 2133 until you enable XMP/DOCP. You enable XMP/DOCP to technically overclock the RAM which helps infinity fabric interconnect between the chiplets, but rumors have it this is not as needed with the 3000 series CPUs as they were on the 1st and 2nd gen CPUs. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

technically with XMP you are overclocking the ram

i believe SoC stand for System on a CHip...gives power to the internal memory controller

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

Also try using Ryzen RAM calculator and enter your timings manually.. Has helped me in the past AND you will get better performance anyway.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

6 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Also try using Ryzen RAM calculator and enter your timings manually.. Has helped me in the past AND you will get better performance anyway.. 

What is this doing? 

8 minutes ago, kur1j said:

What is this doing? 

Refer to YouTube please.

Here's one that I just found but there's quite a few. It's super simple once you figure it out.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

13 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

by default it will run at 2133 until you enable XMP/DOCP. You enable XMP/DOCP to technically overclock the RAM which helps infinity fabric interconnect between the chiplets, but rumors have it this is not as needed with the 3000 series CPUs as they were on the 1st and 2nd gen CPUs. 

Ah, interesting.

Well I found what I assume you were talking about SOC in the bios.

The menu option “SoC/Uncore OC Voltage” is set to auto and grayed out. It says I need to “enable SoC/Uncore OC Mode”. I go and enable “SoC/Uncore OC mode” and the “SoC/Uncore OC” option is still grayed out. So it’s either buggy bios or some other random setting needs to be changed.

This is where I don’t care to tinker. Since you said that it’s supposed to run st 2133Mhz and bumping the ram up to 3200Mhz is overclocking, this is where I don’t care to spend my time trying to get .5FPS. I just thought that it was supposed to run at 3200Mhz and something was messed up. But now that you say that I’m not honestly worried about it. Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Refer to YouTube please.

Here's one that I just found but there's quite a few. It's super simple once you figure it out.

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

However, for me I’m really only interested in the system being stable at it’s intended specs. Which is why I *thought* it was supposed to be running st 3200Mhz. 

If it’s supposed to be running at 2133Mhz and that is it’s “stock” clock for the memory I’m completely okay with that. Futzing around with voltages and timings to try and eek out 2FPS from overclocking my ram is not worth my time and I have 0 interest in it. I’ve already wasted hellva lot more time than I wanted barking up a tree that wasn’t even supposed to be.

Thanks for the info. 

you are actually losing huge performance. Ryzen is very ram sensitive

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

Unfortunately memory companies are kind of misleading when they market and label ram. Normally what they market it as is not what it will run at if you just put in and fire up your computer. Sometimes it will, especially with lower speed memory, like under 3000 MHz. The memory sticks have a small chip on them that stores the base configuration, called SPD. This will be what the bios sees when it boots up and recognizes the ram for the first time. Often times is a lower speed and different timings than what they advertised the ram as. Not always, depends on what you buy, but most times it will be. They probably do this to make sure it will at least boot up after you install the ram. If you want the higher speed you have to choose a profile or manually raise the speed in the bios.

If you look at the specs for your motherboard and the compatible ram list it will tell you what it will run at, and what it should be capable of. It will list three speeds. One will be SPD, which is what it will run at out of the box if you don't change anything. The other will be what the ram is rated for, probably what it says on the box. And the third will be what the motherboard company could get out of it when testing it.

4 hours ago, paulmohr said:

Unfortunately memory companies are kind of misleading when they market and label ram. Normally what they market it as is not what it will run at if you just put in and fire up your computer. Sometimes it will, especially with lower speed memory, like under 3000 MHz. The memory sticks have a small chip on them that stores the base configuration, called SPD. This will be what the bios sees when it boots up and recognizes the ram for the first time. Often times is a lower speed and different timings than what they advertised the ram as. Not always, depends on what you buy, but most times it will be. They probably do this to make sure it will at least boot up after you install the ram. If you want the higher speed you have to choose a profile or manually raise the speed in the bios.

If you look at the specs for your motherboard and the compatible ram list it will tell you what it will run at, and what it should be capable of. It will list three speeds. One will be SPD, which is what it will run at out of the box if you don't change anything. The other will be what the ram is rated for, probably what it says on the box. And the third will be what the motherboard company could get out of it when testing it.

So that’s the thing, this is what the MB states in the manual.

It shows 3200Mhz as non OC. So I assumed it was “normal”. To run at that speed.

So why would my MB not allow me to make adjustments to my SoC even though when I enable it?

2A64AE58-3454-43FF-889D-547F162084AC.png

7 hours ago, Tom H said:

you are actually losing huge performance. Ryzen is very ram sensitive

Ugh. From what I’ve seen memory speed rarely made any significant difference in performance like 1-2FPS, but 30FPS is significant. Is that specific to the 2000 series ryzen? 

The mobo wont let me change my SoC voltage even though I enable it. It stays grayed out. 

Ok, I got here late.  Have you checked that after you activate XMP that the board is setting DRAM Voltage at 1.35V?  After re-boot check in BIOS again that it stayed at 1.35V.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

39 minutes ago, kur1j said:

The mobo wont let me change my SoC voltage even though I enable it. It stays grayed out. 

You should be able to change the SOC, just look around the BIOS. I've never used Asrock so I'm not familiar with it but you should definitely have the option. 

7 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

You should be able to change the SOC, just look around the BIOS. I've never used Asrock so I'm not familiar with it but you should definitely have the option. 

From the manual

SoC/Uncore OC Voltage
Specify the SoC/Uncore voltage (VDD_SOC) in mV to support memory and Infinity Fabric overclocking. VDD_SOC also determines the GPU voltage on processors with integrated graphics.
“SoC/Uncore OC Mode” need to be enabled to force this voltage.

I went and set “SoC/Uncore OC Mode” to “enabled” but the “SoC/Uncore OC Voltage” stays grayed out and set to “auto”.

https://imgur.com/a/17BOsUQ

11 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ok, I got here late.  Have you checked that after you activate XMP that the board is setting DRAM Voltage at 1.35V?  After re-boot check in BIOS again that it stayed at 1.35V.  

I’ll have to check that when I get in front of the PC again but most of the settings were set to “auto” and you can see what it’s set to. 

Should I be looking for SoC voltage or DRAM voltage? First reply in this thread said I should be running it at 1.2V? 

Just now, kur1j said:

I’ll have to check that when I get in front of the PC again but most of the settings were set to “auto” and you can see what it’s set to. 

Should I be looking for SoC voltage or DRAM voltage? First reply in this thread said I should be running it at 1.2V? 

I believe the default is 1.1V for the new Ryzen CPUs and I don't think that's your issue.  The way you describe it makes me think you're seeing the board reset your DRAM voltage.  It appears to be a bug others are dealing with too.  

But like @ch3w2oy said you probably should be able to change SOC, but I couldn't tell you how it's implemented in your BIOS.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

18 minutes ago, nick name said:

I believe the default is 1.1V for the new Ryzen CPUs and I don't think that's your issue.  The way you describe it makes me think you're seeing the board reset your DRAM voltage.  It appears to be a bug others are dealing with too.  

But like @ch3w2oy said you probably should be able to change SOC, but I couldn't tell you how it's implemented in your BIOS.  

So you think the board is resetting the DRAM voltage from 1.35v to 1.1V even though XMP is set? The option is set to “auto” so I can’t tell what the BIOS is actually setting the DRAM to. 

Whats the difference in SOC and DRAM voltage? I assumed they were the same thing? 

What do you feel is more likely? DRAM voltage being reset or SOC voltage wrong? What confuses me is that @ch3w2oy says to set the SOC to 1.2V but it seems to be measured in mV? Something is amiss. 

I think it's less likely that it's SOC which is a CPU voltage.  DRAM Voltage is for you RAM.  

So if it's on Auto then manually set it to 1.35V.  

I looked the memory qvl for your board and thier list is actually kind of screwy compared to others. It doesn't even list spd and its layed out a bit different. Plus I don't know the exact ram you have and how much. Not that I am some kind of memory wizard or expert anyway, far from it. But without knowing the exact ram, size per stick and total amount it is hard to see if it is even varified by asrock on that board. And just because it isn't doesn't mean it won't work, but it gives you an idea of what might work and might not with that board.

I have heard others say working with 4 sticks vs 2 is a bit more challenging, especially as size increases.

I would say normally you shouldn't have to do this much fiddling about. You should be able to just select a profile, save the change and re boot. If it isn't holding it sounds like something is wrong. Have you tried calling Asrock and/or G skill to see what they say? If its showing errors when you run memtest I would return the memory and get something different and stop screwing with it. Maybe go for two sticks of ram instead of 4 the next time around.

I can't help you with the overclocking and all those setting and what not. I really don't mess with that stuff. I have never noticed a big enough difference when messing with memory to bother messing with it. I can only tell you what I would do in your situation. And for me that would be to return it if it doesn't work and try to get something that does. Find something that is actually on their list that supposedly works. And if you don't want to mess with overclocking it or selecting different profiles just get slower ram to begin with and save the money.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get it srtaightened out.

2 hours ago, nick name said:

I think it's less likely that it's SOC which is a CPU voltage.  DRAM Voltage is for you RAM.  

So if it's on Auto then manually set it to 1.35V.  

If i set XMP profile from auto to XMP 2.0 Profile 1 the DRAM Voltage automatically goes to 1.350V. I left the XMP profile as auto and manually set the memory to 1.35V and am going to run memtest on it, but I’m highly doubting that fixes it because it was already being set by the XMP profile change. 

2 minutes ago, kur1j said:

If i set XMP profile from auto to XMP 2.0 Profile 1 the DRAM Voltage automatically goes to 1.350V. I left the XMP profile as auto and manually set the memory to 1.35V and am going to run memtest on it, but I’m highly doubting that fixes it because it was already being set by the XMP profile change. 

The bug that others were seeing is that it would set and the upon a reboot it would get set back to 1.2V.

15 minutes ago, nick name said:

The bug that others were seeing is that it would set and the upon a reboot it would get set back to 1.2V.

I’ve rebooted multiple times, it seems to stay at 1.35V. I booted, went into BIOS and then booted into memtest, at 3200Mhz still fails. 

I dropped the memory speed down to 2933Mhz and it didn’t error in memtest. Does this still indicate a memory issues? Or some type of setting issue? 

Also I noticed the below chart with the whole dual rank vs single rank dimms. Is that chart only for ECC memory modules? 

6EC0815D-561C-421B-9892-147FA755D7F1.png

6EE94CBA-8E94-42DB-AC2B-54045734B54D.jpeg