Help! i7 9700k on MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk???

I just ordered the parts im using to build my firs ever pc. The motherboard im using is the MSI MAG Z39 Tomahawk and the processor is the i7 9700k.  

I saw on youtube that the motherboard couldnt handle the 9900k even without overclocking, and i got a bit concerned that it wouldnt handle my 9700k. Can anyone please help? That would be much appreciated :D

The Z390 Aorus Elite/Pro is not even that much more than the MSI, and there's no reason to buy the MSI over the Gigabyte ones.

With that said, there's even less reason to buy a 9700k now that the 3700 and 3700X are out. Return your order and rethink your build.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

The Z390 Aorus Elite/Pro is not even that much more than the MSI, and there's no reason to buy the MSI over the Gigabyte ones.

With that said, there's even less reason to buy a 9700k now that the 3700 and 3700X are out. Return your order and rethink your build.

But will the 9700k work fine with the MSI MAG?

9 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

But will the 9700k work fine with the MSI MAG?

I already gave you my opinion. If you're unwilling to accept it, then all you can do is to wait for your parts to arrive and see for yourself.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

I already gave you my opinion. If you're unwilling to accept it, then all you can do is to wait for your parts to arrive and see for yourself.

I highly appreciate you taking your time and replying to me, but i just want to know if it will work fine on the msi mag. 

Also, the Ryzen chips doesn't come close to the Intel ones when it comes to gaming, which is what im using it for :D 

5 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

Also, the Ryzen chips doesn't come close to the Intel ones when it comes to gaming, which is what im using it for

They certainly do come close, this gen is really giving Intel a run for their money.

Regardless, the Z390 Meg can do the 9700k at stock, but why stay at stock settings on a Z390 board and a K SKU processor? You spent all that extra money on the overclocking feature.

If you really want to stick with Intel:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $294.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - H370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $384.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 20:34 EDT-0400  

Basically it seems returning your parts and getting more suitable ones is best, although that's based on USD pricing and I'm not sure if you're in America.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

I highly appreciate you taking your time and replying to me, but i just want to know if it will work fine on the msi mag. 

Also, the Ryzen chips doesn't come close to the Intel ones when it comes to gaming, which is what im using it for :D 

The older 1000 & 2000 series Ryzen maybe.

But the new ones are getting pretty damn close to Intel (on in certain cases outperforms Intel, such as when streaming).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

They certainly do come close, this gen is really giving Intel a run for their money.

Regardless, the Z390 Meg can do the 9700k at stock, but why stay at stock settings on a Z390 board and a K SKU processor? You spent all that extra money on the overclocking feature.

If you really want to stick with Intel:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $294.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - H370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $384.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 20:34 EDT-0400  

Basically it seems returning your parts and getting more suitable ones is best, although that's based on USD pricing and I'm not sure if you're in America.

I live in Norway, and im not returning my processor, but if the motherboard is too weak for the i7 i will return the motherboard.

Anyone got some suggestions for motherboards that isnt that much more expensive than the msi mag? (that will be good for the 9700k)

21 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

I live in Norway, and im not returning my processor, but if the motherboard is too weak for the i7 i will return the motherboard.

Anyone got some suggestions for motherboards that isnt that much more expensive than the msi mag? (that will be good for the 9700k)

Sorry everyone is badgering you about Ryzen.. Especially when it seems your mind is already made up lol.

Try to grab a Gigabyte Aorus board, this Aorus Pro is the same price as the Tomahawk, in the US (not sure about Norway), and should handle a good overclock on the 9700K.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Sorry everyone is badgering you about Ryzen.. Especially when it seems your mind is already made up lol.

Try to grab a Gigabyte Aorus board, this Aorus Pro is the same price as the Tomahawk, in the US (not sure about Norway), and should handle a good overclock on the 9700K.

Haha, finally someone who understands me lol. Ive decided to go for the Gigabyte Aorus, but what is the difference between the Pro and Elite?

They both cost the same here in Norway, so which do i go for?

Edited by arvid_haland

2 minutes ago, arvid_haland said:

Haha, finally someone who understands me lol. Ive decided to go for the Gigabyte Aorus, but what is the difference between the Pro and Elite?

They both cost the same here in Norway, so which do i go for?

The Pro is better! If the pricing is the same don't even worry about the difference, just get the Pro lol.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

The Pro is better! If the pricing is the same don't even worry about the difference, just get the Pro lol.

Ok then, Ill buy the Aorus pro tomorrow :D