Question about Email Severs...

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
5 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

So I know that if someone sends me a SMS when my phone is off, it doesn't get delivered until i turn it on. Is that how emails work too? Or if the server running my email is down, will they just fail to send it and get a error? Thanks.

They generally try a few times to re-send the email, but if the receiving server is offline for too long, it'll cancel. How many times/for how long they try to re-send failed email depends on the server-configuration, more-or-less -- some only try for a couple of hours, some try for a few days, in my experience.

So I know that if someone sends me a SMS when my phone is off, it doesn't get delivered until i turn it on. Is that how emails work too? Or if the server running my email is down, will they just fail to send it and get a error? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

They generally try a few times to re-send the email, but if the receiving server is offline for too long, it'll cancel. How many times/for how long they try to re-send failed email depends on the server-configuration, more-or-less -- some only try for a couple of hours, some try for a few days, in my experience.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

thanks

After patching our email server, I didn't notice that mails weren't coming inside ... it took me about 5 hours to realize that, and after restarting transport service, mails started coming in again. We received all emails for past 5 hours, when our email server was kinda offline to outside world. 

In most cases it should be fine for up to 12 hours ... at least that's what Microsoft employee told me.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB