Edge is... actually GOOD now!?

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Just found out the macOS alpha came out yesterday, so I went ahead and got it. I quite like it; I might switch.

There's a huge problem in the UI though:

image.png.0f48a145c1cbdda2453f403f8fcc333f.png

Hope they fix it soon.

What’s the issue?

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Just now, ImAlsoRan said:

What’s the issue?

The gap between the extension icons

🙂

1 minute ago, ImAlsoRan said:

In my case, I’ve never had that issue. It must be a malicious extension, and the only software scans are manual. People use chrome for the wider extension library.

oh i checked its not extension or anyting, it was just chrome scanning my pc "to increase compabilty " as it was guessed

not a fan of using extensions at all, allways the same ones (uBlock origin, and NoScript for me) and i only had ublock when i had chrome installed.

Just now, duncannah said:

The gap between the extension icons

That is most likely an issue with low resolution, or a low quality extension image. I could be wrong though.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

5 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

In my case, I’ve never had that issue. It must be a malicious extension, and the only software scans are manual. People use chrome for the wider extension library.

google software_reporter_tool.exe i finally remembered how its called

1 minute ago, ImAlsoRan said:

That is most likely an issue with low resolution, or a low quality extension image. I could be wrong though.

Definitely an Edge issue, here it is compared to Chrome and Brave:

image.png.a6e700cb96c6c8896c7f3221e8e16a44.png

🙂

I have an old computer with an intel atom and nvidia gpu. On that computer, edge's gpu acceleration actually makes it noticeably faster than chrome for browsing. Chrome is basically unusable on that computer. Not sure what is going to happen now with the new edge.

I'm a FF guy, always have been ("always" meaning "since 2003.") I remember some rough patches years ago where I'd get random crashes, but FF has been great for years now.

I don't trust Google. Period. I've tried to divest myself of it as much as possible, though migrating out of Gmail has been difficult and it remains the last vestige of Google, at least for personal use.

I have to use Chrome for work and, tbh, I don't like it. I find it very buggy with no shortage of random errors, crashes, and freeze ups. I know I'm biased as I'm kind of anti-Google and a long-time FF user, but I just find the FF experience superior, at least to me. I will acknowledge that there's a certain degree of subjectivity in all this.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

"It's not like they're taking a walled garden approach, they're just [<insert description of walled garden here>].".

I still use old Edge, despite its many missing features, because it's noticeably faster than the competition. No other browser can have 200+ tabs open, perfectly responsive and with the fan inaudible, and close them all in a split second. I'm not sure what I'll do when it dies. Going back to Firefox seems like a step backwards because it's become painfully sluggish over the years.

Chrome... just doesn't really feel right, and hasn't since it first came out. It doesn't feel native, the scrolling physics and font rendering are awful, and it's not much better than Firefox in terms of performance. I guess I'll have to see if Microsoft improves it enough.

New Edge is still very beta with only stability updates being done to it. Major feature updates should be on the way soon. Patience is key for the moment.

You can follow the Dev Edge thread here ... 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, TamerOfCarps said:

Chromium is still pretty good, way more solid than old Brave Browser. I just don't like the UI that much on mozilla.

gotta use Firefox, it's the only browser where i can have 294 (currently) tabs open and actually be able to see enough of the tab to actually ID it and switch to it without closing it trying to click on it, if Chrome implemented Firefox's method of tab management (both in how it displays tabs and how it doesn't try to load every single tabs website until you actually click on that tab) then I might consider Chrome the primary browser instead of the back up for when Firefox doesn't work right.

And before everyone comes in YES I know 294 tabs is an insane amount of tabs, I like to keep a lot of tabs at "quick access" and this works better for me then bookmarks.

Since as far as I see from your past videos, you care a lot about making good informative and technically correct content, I would like to bring to your attention two potential errors in the script for this video.

First of all, I have some doubts about the "HTML5Test (USING HTTP)" graph scores presented in the video at 7:16. Based on my own tests, I believe you might have accidentally tested Firefox and Chrome over HTTPS when you meant to test over HTTP.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating for either browser, I just try to make sense of graph presented in the video. Also, I don't know which browser versions you used and I can't test Chromium-based Edge 74.* that I think you used (I don't have it).

I do not know which browser versions you tested so I tested the recently released browsers as well as (Firefox 67.0 64-bit  stable, released only yesterday; Chrome 74.0.3729.157 64-bit stable; Chrome 76.0.3800.0 64-bit dev; "old" Edge 18; new Chromium Edge 76.0.159.0 dev) without any special modifications. I believe you tested Chromium-based Edge 74.*, but I was not able to test it because my installation was already updated to 76.*. Also, I tested Chromium 76.* dev just to make sure the scores are the same with 74.* The browser versions are important (as well as settings, flags, etc.), but I do not know your testing strategy and do not think it would produce such a drastic score difference (the scores are pretty stable over time unless you change flags).

The "HTML5Test (USING HTTP)" graph shows:

Firefox - 513 <---- according to my tests, this should be 491

Old Edge - 492

Chromium Edge - 481

Chrome - 535 <---- according to my tests, this should be 481

The HTML5Test (USING HTTPS)" graph shows:

Firefox - 513

Old Edge - 492

Chromium Edge - 535

Chrome - 535

That is surprising to me because: (1) I don't understand why there would be such a gap between the new Edge and Chromium (they are effectively the same thing for these tests) and (2) HTTP and HTTPS scores in Forefox and Chrome/Chromium should be different (due to security considerations).

A few tests I conducted:

Firefox 67.0 over HTTP - 491 (mismatch)

Firefox 67.0 over HTTPS - 513 (matches your Firefox over HTTP and HTTPS)

"old" Edge 18 over HTTP - 492 (matches your result)

"old" Edge 18 over HTTPS - 492 (matches your result)

Chromium Edge 74.* dev over HTTP - unable to test, but should be the same as Chrome 76.*, 481, then matches your result

Chromium Edge 74.* dev over HTTPS - unable to test, but should be the same as Chrome 76.*, 535, then matches your result

Chromium Edge 76.0.159.0 dev over HTTP - 481 (matches your result)

Chromium Edge 76.0.159.0 dev over HTTPS - 535 (matches your result)

Chrome 74.0.3729.157 over HTTP - 481 (mismatch)

Chrome 74.0.3729.157 over HTTPS - 535 (matches your Chrome over HTTP and HTTPS)

Chrome 76.0.3800.0 dev over HTTP - 481 (mismatch)

Chrome 76.0.3800.0 (Official Build) dev over HTTPS - 535 (matches your Chrome over HTTP and HTTPS)

My results match my expectations much better:

• Chrome 76.* and the new Edge 76.* perform exactly the same (because Microsoft mostly re-skins Chromium and drops a few non-standard components that the site does not test for and
  • Chrome 74.* and 76.* perform exactly the same because the public announcements and release notes do not mention any deprecations (and the site does not test for newly added features)
  • Firefox and Chrome and the new Edge have lower scores over HTTP than over HTTPS, as per Chromium and Firefox policy of deprecating powerful APIs on insecure origins. The score gap between secure and insecure origins is actually supposed to increase as more restrictions take place.

Secondly, the video is the video refers to https://html5test.com/ as a "performace test" three times. https://html5test.com/ is a standards compatibility test, not performance test as video suggests three times (and never mentions word "compatibility").

I realize that you probably meant "test performance" as in "test score" and not "computational performance", but an average user probably would not know. I realize that videos are not created to split hairs over language expressions and technical details, however I feel this is an important distinction to mention.

Specifically, I refer to these statements at 6:45 on the video, it states:

We ran [few browsers] through a handful of benchmarks. HTML5 tests for pure HTML5 performance.

At 7:15 the video states:

[The new Edge] did have the worst pure HTML5 performance...

At 7:28 the video states:

... at least from a pure performance standpoint the new Chromium-based Edge is immediately a big step up from the old Edge...

From this a viewer unfamiliar with HTML5test.com might infer that the site tests traditional computational performance, not standards compatibility and compliance test performance.

Edit: CC @LinusTech @RILEYISMYNAME

Edit 2: sentence structure.

@LinusTech @RILEYISMYNAME An Insanely underrated browser that NEEDS to be looked at is Vivaldi.

this is by far the BEST browser (feature wise) in the market from mouse gestures controls to in-browser widow tiling, chromium based, download manager, side panel, smart search, tab stacks and a bunch more that makes you start thinking why the hell chrome and firefox are so far behind?

Trust me on this, look at this browser for a day and you will stay with it for at least until chrome will catch up with its features.

https://vivaldi.com

side note... I am not affiliated in any shape or form with Vivaldi, just love their browser and wants to show them some love, they are way better than anything on the market currently.

I use both Firefox and Chrome. They're both about equal, but (excepting a recent incident that may or may not be a clue about Mozilla's plans for Firefox) Firefox seems to be better for downloading things. Especially with certain add-ons. I use Chrome for everyday things. Email, Imgur, Browsing Wikipedia, etc. And I use Firefox for more nefarious things. Watching Anime, downloading anime, using Bing video search, reading manga, keeping up to date with my favourite fanarts, etc.

PS: I got tired of losing entire sessions using "incognito". And I don't trust either browser to ever truly segregate both types of activities. By only doing them in one or the other browser, I can ensure one doesn't rear its head while trying to do something else(URL suggestion for an anime I watched popping up while I try to bring up my weekly grocery ad).

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

gotta use Firefox, it's the only browser where i can have 294 (currently) tabs open and actually be able to see enough of the tab to actually ID it and switch to it without closing it trying to click on it, if Chrome implemented Firefox's method of tab management (both in how it displays tabs and how it doesn't try to load every single tabs website until you actually click on that tab) then I might consider Chrome the primary browser instead of the back up for when Firefox doesn't work right.

And before everyone comes in YES I know 294 tabs is an insane amount of tabs, I like to keep a lot of tabs at "quick access" and this works better for me then bookmarks.

I've said many times that Chrome has bunch of really monumentally retarded things and design choices. But people don't give a shit coz they think everything from Google is pure gold. What's even worse, others like Mozilla are dumb enough to copy that shit from Google. Facepalm. Like this tab shrinking. In the end you can barely hit the close button on tab, trying to identify it was impossible like 20 tabs ago... Or the last tab closing entire browser. Like, WHY?! There is a fucking close button for this god damn purpose, I don't want my whole browser to be gone because I closed the fucking last tab. This is exactly what Firefox copied from Chrome. Luckily it's a flip of a switch in about:config. For Chrome you need another stupid extension that hogs 100MB of memory just to pevent this through some tab hack fuckery. Just idiotic beyond belief.

I'm not trying to be snarky but I honestly don't get why there's still so much disdain for Firefox post Firefox Quantum, especially now that WebRender gets rolled out with FF67.  It's fast and snappy, even with a ton of addons and webpages load instantly o.o Sure Chrome might be a few milliseconds faster in some instances and benchmarks but in everyday usage I don't believe that anyone would really notice that.

I've switched, hopefully that turns out to be a good decision. The sync broke unfortunately but I'm guessing that's temporary

🙂

18 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

that's what i'm saying. chrome in my experience is faster than firefox. 

Have you tried Firefox Quantum? Everything feels much snappier to me. It's also got less spying than anything Chromium based.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Have you tried Firefox Quantum? Everything feels much snappier to me. It's also got less spying than anything Chromium based.

Someone edit "Less Spying" into a picture of Dale comparing Firefox and Chrome.

I was on Vivaldi but stumbled upon using Firefox at work and just kind stuck with it, it feels right for me and has everything i need.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I much prefer Mozilla Firefox w/ duckduckgo search engine. Incredibly fast, and also, Mozilla for some reason starts up faster than Chrome. Chrome takes like, 5 mins just to open the darn program. It takes longer to open than any other browser I have installed on my computer ( Edge, IE, Firefox, Tor you name it. ) and although the speed is good, it doesn't even match firefox. Besides, I personally prefer the look and feel of firefox.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro