How to boot to m.2 ssd

How can I boot from a m.2 ssd that is connected to my motherboard by a pcie to m.2 adapter? I can’t see it on boot settings 

P.S. just say if you want context

I don't know if this will help you but, I found this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/post-20482537

Sounds straight forward enough to me. The BIOS isn't seeing your PCI-E drive because it lack the required EFI boot sector.

Put your BIOS in UEFI mode, CSM Disabled.

Boot onto a Windows bootable usb drive(formatted as GPT/UEFI no CSM, if you use RUFUS, it should default to the right settings) and it should see the m.2 through its own drivers.

If your PC is much older and doesn't have UEFI .... I don't know what to tell you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If your PC is much older and doesn't have UEFI .... I don't know what to tell you.

@CUDAcores89 said something earlier today about how some Samsung NVMe SSDs will work on boards without UEFI, but that will require a small degree of BIOS hacking.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

35 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I don't know if this will help you but, I found this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/post-20482537

Sounds straight forward enough to me. The BIOS isn't seeing your PCI-E drive because it lack the required EFI boot sector.

Put your BIOS in UEFI mode, CSM Disabled.

Boot onto a Windows bootable usb drive(formatted as GPT/UEFI no CSM, if you use RUFUS, it should default to the right settings) and it should see the m.2 through its own drivers.

I’m sorry but I have no idea of what you mean by “Put your BIOS in UEFI mode... drivers” 

Is this what you mean? (picture)

E2E30349-FA33-4213-9497-C3909C7FED17.jpeg

What mobo, what M.2 SSD?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

How can I boot from a m.2 ssd that is connected to my motherboard by a pcie to m.2 adapter? I can’t see it on boot settings 

P.S. just say if you want context

Maybe you don't have support for NVMe in the BIOS of your Motherboard??

What Motherboard is it?

and what SSD Is it?

Is it an nvme or a SATA one?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Maybe you don't have support for NVMe in the BIOS of your Motherboard??

What Motherboard is it?

and what SSD Is it?

Is it an nvme or a SATA one?

MSI b85-g43 gaming

Intel 660p  512gb

nvme

1 minute ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

MSI b85-g43 gaming

Intel 660p  512gb

nvme

Installed the latest BIOS?

Is it regognized in Windows?

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Installed the latest BIOS?

Is it regognized in Windows?

Yes

If you mean that if it's working, it is i initialized it, created a volume, and transferred files before formatting my whole pc

Yeah, exactly.

In that case you just don't have a new enough motherboard that supports NVMe SSDs.

You can still use it. And from what i've seen the Intel P660 wasn't that great either and got beaten in some situations by better SATA Drives...

So you might want to stick with that.

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, exactly.

In that case you just don't have a new enough motherboard that supports NVMe SSDs.

You can still use it. And from what i've seen the Intel P660 wasn't that great either and got beaten in some situations by better SATA Drives...

So you might want to stick with that.

what is i get a m.2 to sata adapter will the bios recognize it?

1 hour ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

It won't work - m.2 to SATA adapter is a passive connector - meaning it will only work with SATA SSD in m.2 form factor (like Samsung 860 EVO). Intel p660 is an NVME disk and will not work with the m.2 to SATA adapter.

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVME PCIe Gen.3x8 SSD, custom water cooling.

2 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

What is if you put Diesel in your gasoline car?

That are two completely different things.

So you have two options:

a) get a BOard with NVMe Support, wich means getting rid of your Haswell and move to a modern Plattform

b) deal with it and use it for your Games and boot from a S-ATA Drive.

If you can get a refund do it, then get a SATA m.2 like the 860 Evo. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430