Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

Was RTX a big scam? – Performance & image quality analysis

14 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The only thing I would agree was misleading is the RTX branding.

However I don't believe that because an arbitrary number of applications that use the new hardware features on the GeForce 20 series wasn't met that it's misleading. Otherwise let's retroactively say AMD was misleading people when they launched their first AMD 64 processor. There was almost no support for the 64-bit part of the processor. Sure there was eventually Windows XP x64 edition, but it also required 64-bit drivers, which there were few and far between. And even then, there wasn't a whole lot of 64-bit software. I remember when Far Cry and Half Life 2 had 64-bit versions and... well... they weren't any better than their 32-bit counterparts. AMD was trying to make it sound like AMD 64 and 64-bit software was going to be an improvement over the old 32-bit architectures.

I mean hell, I can't even find something that uses all 8 cores or 16 threads of my Ryzen processor outside of benchmarks. The way it sounded, more cores was going to be the future and things would be better for it. But uh, so far my life hasn't really changed from my 4C/8T i7-6700.

Well, games usually only use 4-8 cores/threads at most.  It's when you start multtasking while gaming they might use more.  However, you're going to only really use more in a workstation or server scenario.  For example, when I start using Maya with Arnold next year I know for fact that it can easily eat away at 16 core and 32 threads, but no game is going to use that many cores/threads.  Ryzen 7s weren't really intended for pure gaming rigs AMD likes to market them more towards streamers who game, do live streams, and tons more crap at the same time.  That could potentially use up to 16 threads depending on what SW and how much other crap you're doing while gaming.  I could be wrong, but I never saw AMD advertise them for pure gaming.  Now, if you ant misleading from AMD let's look at the Radeon VII.  They originally advertised it as a pure gaming card while the drivers were ass.  The 16gbs of HBM2 is not really going to ever be utilized until 8k+gaming is a thing, but even then you're going to have shitty frame rate with that or the 2080 even.  I think AMD ended up changing the marketing on that, but I haven't been to their site in awhile to verify that.  

Also, the misleading is more in the way how he says, "it just works!"  Well, RTX doesn't just work due to the lack of support.  If it just worked then I could enable it in a game right now, but that's not the case.  Then there's the issues with the "it just works!"  DLSS.  <.<  By saying it just works he is indeed misleading the consumer as the primary rep of the company who make the product.  By doing this he is breaking the law.  Which isn't the first time Jensen has been dragged to court over misleading consumers.  But, to be fair, AMD could technically be dragged to court by people who bought the Radeon VII in the first two months.  Since it couldn't keep up with the 2080 then do to driver problems while saying it could.

https://www.techpowerup.com/252550/nvidia-dlss-and-its-surprising-resolution-limitations

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB Liquid Cooling(EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel, EK-CoolStream SE 280, EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black x 2, EK-XRES 100 SPC-60 MX PWM (incl. pump), EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Red (6-pack), EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M, and Scarlet Red Premix) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Sapphire Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Surtr:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 3950x) | CPU Cooling: Wraith(Dark Rock Pro 4 later) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GBs (2x8) DDR4-3200 | Storage: PNY - BX500 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB RED DEVIL | Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | CPU Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawki | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial - BX200 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC | Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 | PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Rosewill - NEON K85 RGB BR | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Also, the misleading is more in the way how he says, "it just works!"  Well, RTX doesn't just work due to the lack of support.  If it just worked then I could enable it in a game right now, but that's not the case. 

So you want applications developers to be able to magically know what future hardware will use so that when said future hardware is released, the application can use it and become better?

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

They originally advertised it as a pure gaming card

No, they didn't. They advertised it the same way they advertised the Frontier Edition and Nvidia advertised the OG Titan and Titan Black: Tweaked workstation cards with game ready drivers.

Waste of time

Candour and lies

For what I left behind

I know the price was high

No tears to cry

No words to make it right

But now I know

That home is where my heart desires.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

So you want applications developers to be able to magically know what future hardware will use so that when said future hardware is released, the application can use it and become better?

No, I want Jensen to stop lying or use better wording to stop misleading people.  Which, is what I stated.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB Liquid Cooling(EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel, EK-CoolStream SE 280, EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black x 2, EK-XRES 100 SPC-60 MX PWM (incl. pump), EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Red (6-pack), EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M, and Scarlet Red Premix) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Sapphire Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Surtr:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 3950x) | CPU Cooling: Wraith(Dark Rock Pro 4 later) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GBs (2x8) DDR4-3200 | Storage: PNY - BX500 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB RED DEVIL | Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | CPU Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawki | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial - BX200 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC | Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 | PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Rosewill - NEON K85 RGB BR | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition 

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Except Nvidia does make their own cards they're called the founder's editions.  Why do you keep excluding them?  They're not just a chip maker, but a card maker too.   They only thing a 3rd party does is make their own sw, the pcb, and the cooler.  But, that doesn't mean Nvidia doesn't make full Turing cards and sell them themselves.  Nvidia sells theirs at the MSRP.  I can get an EVGA 2080 Ti for less than what Nvidia is asking for a worse cooler.   If I really wanted extra binning I'd go for a galax or kingpin one.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us

Also, why would you pay even want to pay over a grand for such a small list of support?  

Why would you pay over a grand for any of the following:

• 1 years worth of transportation w/o transportation costs (aka any car including ones like Tesla)
  • any top tier smartphone
  • any computer over $999 for basic game play and operation
  • monthly living costs (aka rent)
  • a wedding
  • a divorce (can be done)
  • a TV
  • a watch
  • etc.

If you yourself can answer any of these as to why you would want/need to than the same or similar answer can be applied towards a $1000+ card. They are basically all choices for example rent, wedding and smartphones, all 3 are literally personal choices forced upon you by social requirements, things you could simply ignore to save yourself a few bucks.

Also I never really ignored them, it's just almost every time I've looked at that page it's always sold out. The 1080 Ti was $700 the 2080 Ti is $1200, and yes that is a massive markup till you look at 2 things.

First you are getting roughly and average of 30% more GPU vs the 1080 Ti which puts the base value to about $900 and Second you are getting new tech, a small amount of it sure but it's still new tech. So in reality you are paying a $300 premium to have RTX (components and all) added to the card. Is it worth the $300 based on previous Ti performance per $? well that's up to those who are willing to buy it.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, RTX doesn't just work due to the lack of support.  If it just worked then I could enable it in a game right now, but that's not the case

There is a difference between the functioning product working and every game requiring extra code (as per all new things) to get it working. This extra code is developers will based, so if they are unwilling than in that sense you holding Nvidia accountable for their unwillingness. Yes the "it just works" is BS but what you just stated was just as much BS as that one line. RTX does technically just works (using the KISS method of explaining things), but it requires hours of work on devs end to enable it for your consumption.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Why would you pay over a grand for any of the following:

• 1 years worth of transportation w/o transportation costs (aka any car including ones like Tesla)
  • any top tier smartphone
  • any computer over $999 for basic game play and operation
  • monthly living costs (aka rent)
  • a wedding
  • a divorce (can be done)
  • a TV
  • a watch
  • etc.

If you yourself can answer any of these as to why you would want/need to than the same or similar answer can be applied towards a $1000+ card. They are basically all choices for example rent, wedding and smartphones, all 3 are literally personal choices forced upon you by social requirements, things you could simply ignore to save yourself a few bucks.

Also I never really ignored them, it's just almost every time I've looked at that page it's always sold out. The 1080 Ti was $700 the 2080 Ti is $1200, and yes that is a massive markup till you look at 2 things.

First you are getting roughly and average of 30% more GPU vs the 1080 Ti which puts the base value to about $900 and Second you are getting new tech, a small amount of it sure but it's still new tech. So in reality you are paying a $300 premium to have RTX (components and all) added to the card. Is it worth the $300 based on previous Ti performance per $? well that's up to those who are willing to buy it.

There is a difference between the functioning product working and every game requiring extra code (as per all new things) to get it working. This extra code is developers will based, so if they are unwilling than in that sense you holding Nvidia accountable for their unwillingness. Yes the "it just works" is BS but what you just stated was just as much BS as that one line. RTX does technically just works (using the KISS method of explaining things), but it requires hours of work on devs end to enable it for your consumption.

A) I don't pay for transportation as an epileptic.
B) I paid less than 500 for an s9

C) I do far more than just gaming, and I don't overpay.

D) I pay less than 500 for rent.

E) That's what the bride's dad is for.  /s

F)  That's more of a legal matter and forced.

G) I got a 4k hdr10 49 inch for less than 500

H) Do I look like a suit and tie guy?

Well, the 2080 Ti is more of a fuck you to the consumer due to a lack of competition.  To be fair to Jensen, he wasn't the one who misled people with the speculation over "there won't be a titan".  Just like AMD hasn't been misleading people over zen 2 and navi.

However, I keep saying the misleading is the way Jensen makes claims about his products through marketing.  Not the early adopter aspect.  If he simply states, "It just works."  As the company head, and it fails to do so then he is misleading the consumer which can be taken to court.  Misleading the consumer is literally a crime, and that's the problem I primarily have.  If someone wants to conform to the early adopter bs that's on them.  But, saying misleading things as the head of the company for the sake of marketing is a crime.  Again, that's my biggest issue with turing.  Unless Jensen can give enough proof that it just works then he'd probably have to pay up just like he did with the whole 970 VRAM thing.  Remember the sped up Batman.  That technically you mentioned probably isn't enough to win the court battle.  I mean technically the 970 had 4gbs of ram, but .5 of it was slower than the rest.  

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

However, I keep saying the misleading is the way Jensen makes claims about his products through marketing. 

Saying "it just works" is technically true. There are applications with RTX support. It works provided you meet the software requirements as well. Turn it on, and wallah, "it just works."

I don't see how this is misleading.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Saying "it just works" is technically true. There are applications with RTX support. It works provided you meet the software requirements as well. Turn it on, and wallah, "it just works."

The 970 technically had 4gbs of vram, but Nvidia didn't exactly win that one.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So let's go retroactively sue AMD for years of not having some arbitrary number of applications used by Average Joe that supported AMD 64 when it first launched.

EDIT: Ah wait, nevermind, we still have Bulldozer to finish up.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

So let's go retroactively sue AMD for years of not having some arbitrary number of applications used by Average Joe that supported AMD 64 when it first launched.

Let's go sue Nvidia for saying it just works!

https://www.techpowerup.com/252550/nvidia-dlss-and-its-surprising-resolution-limitations

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

People are stupid, therefore people expect it to just work with everything ignoring everything they know about adoption, new tech and what might have been actually stated before or after or displayed. 

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think it was because they never disclosed the 0.5 being slower more than anything. Stating "it just works" isn't the same thing however since technically every game can have RTX ability it relies on the developers (documentation is/was available to them before release afaik), next to Nvidia paying game makers to actually put it into their games they did their best to make it available. One can't expect Rockstar to turn around and make GTA V RTX compatible because it is one of the most played games, something with Valve and CS:GO. Everything for them to do so is available, but why are they not doing it? Market share, very reason why SLI was dead from the beginning, same with Physx. The demand is simply not there, however unlike those 2 technologies this one will go somewhere because it is built right into the gpu w/o needing a second.

But for those games that do get ray tracing, ray tracing will technically just work on the users computer. Maybe address anger towards devs more than Nvidia?

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

People are stupid, therefore people expect it to just work with everything ignoring everything they know about adoption, new tech and what might have been actually stated before or after or displayed. 

I think it was because they never disclosed the 0.5 being slower more than anything. Stating "it just works" isn't the same thing however since technically every game can have RTX ability it relies on the developers (documentation is/was available to them before release afaik), next to Nvidia paying game makers to actually put it into their games they did their best to make it available. One can't expect Rockstar to turn around and make GTA V RTX compatible because it is one of the most played games, something with Valve and CS:GO. Everything for them to do so is available, but why are they not doing it? Market share, very reason why SLI was dead from the beginning, same with Physx. The demand is simply not there, however unlike those 2 technologies this one will go somewhere because it is built right into the gpu w/o needing a second.

But for those games that do get ray tracing, ray tracing will technically just work on the users computer. Maybe address anger towards devs more than Nvidia?

Again, the problem isn't the early adopter aspect it's the way he words it through marketing that is misleading.  If you simply say something just works then you are being vague and misleading.  DLSS is part of the RTX crap and doesn't always just work.  Secondly, it has problems and limitations that Nvidia downplays or outright ignores.  Again!

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Let's go sue Nvidia for saying it just works!

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Again, the problem isn't the early adopter aspect it's the way he words it through marketing that is misleading.  If you simply say something just works then you are being vague and misleading.  DLSS is part of the RTX crap and doesn't always just work.  Secondly, it has problems and limitations that Nvidia downplays or outright ignores.  Again!

Give me the exact source in which Jensen said "it just works."

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Give me the exact source in which Jensen said "it just works."

Or, did you want this one?  

He says everything just work in context to ray tracing itself, other technologies, and RTX as a whole. He literally says, "Everything just works!"  DLSS is part of the RTX crap and yet here we go!  If everything just worked with RTX then DLSS, for example, wouldn't have these limitations.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's all software, there might be a reason to it or there might not be. No one knows, it is stupid of them to limit it between cards (multi monitoring would tank the performance if these settings don't change and stay static). Regardless the physical card seems to work as advertise and software comes as a as is where is warranty. I'm sure someone here can find the part of the driver to alter these settings to make them work, but that won't fix the other issues with the software aspect with the blur/fuzziness. It's really all early adaption crap right now nothing to do with it just works or nothing because when they get it right it will just work, they have the hardware out now it's the software turn(a little stupid but oh well). IMO I don't think a new feature should make game play worst looking I'll give that but that's something that should be fixable via updates.

16 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

That's all software, there might be a reason to it or there might not be. No one knows, it is stupid of them to limit it between cards (multi monitoring would tank the performance if these settings don't change and stay static). Regardless the physical card seems to work as advertise and software comes as a as is where is warranty. I'm sure someone here can find the part of the driver to alter these settings to make them work, but that won't fix the other issues with the software aspect with the blur/fuzziness. It's really all early adaption crap right now nothing to do with it just works or nothing because when they get it right it will just work, they have the hardware out now it's the software turn(a little stupid but oh well). IMO I don't think a new feature should make game play worst looking I'll give that but that's something that should be fixable via updates.

I think it's a mix between HW and SW.  Turing cards have tensor cores and other added HW to assist in real time raytracing and other stuff, like DLSS.  The point of DLSS was to replace TAA.  TAA impacts performance a lot worse than DLSS does.  But, the way the HW and SW works is what I believe causes the blur issue and the fact that you can't even use DLSS as certain resolutions depending on the card.  The 2080 Ti, for example does not like to use DLSS at 1080p.  I doubt that's purely SW.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Surtr:

Prince of Dark Rock:

14 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Don't like price? Don't buy the product or other products by said company. Simple.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

RTX is a scam in that the tech is clearly not ready for commercial use, but was rather used as a gimmick to sell people overpriced GPUs. 

The tech itself is only going to see improvement however and, in time, will likely become the norm. No scam in that regard.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.