Help me with routing my house

hv0k

So I've moved in to a new Villa, and this is the basic idea I have for routing internet around my house

24-04-2019-15-08-44.png.563c8a2d7e25c03d59ee15ad7d6d4d73.png

Each floor is going to get a switch with an access point installed and also if anyone needs a wired connection. 

will this compromise any bandwidth?

if you have any better ideas please let me know. 

also this is another pic of what each floor has, each switch is going to have connections to the plugs on the rack which intern are connected to all of the rooms in each floor

btw disgard the white box its just another modem for each floor if I need to have other internet accounts.

image1.thumb.jpeg.d413aa63d879e2bba4b5e3757351585e.jpeg

I don't see any issue here. Theoretical bandwidth limitations would be based on the speed you're receiving from your ISP plus the limitation of the speed of the ethernet ports on the main router itself.

Obviously if you have more devices downloading the less bandwidth there is available but again thats totally subject to what I said above.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Depending on your data usage across the local network, you may find having all the links for the switches going through the router to bottleneck things. 

I would suggest having direct links between the switches and then connect one or two of the switches to the router for Internet access. 

If you have the ports available, using link aggregation between the switches may be a good idea 

It should be fine. Make sure to get quality components that will not bottleneck your internet speeds.

This does not mean to get 10gbit-capable devices, but I wouldn't go lower than 1gbit.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

7 hours ago, sof006 said:

I don't see any issue here. Theoretical bandwidth limitations would be based on the speed you're receiving from your ISP plus the limitation of the speed of the ethernet ports on the main router itself.

Obviously if you have more devices downloading the less bandwidth there is available but again thats totally subject to what I said above.

6 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depending on your data usage across the local network, you may find having all the links for the switches going through the router to bottleneck things. 

I would suggest having direct links between the switches and then connect one or two of the switches to the router for Internet access. 

If you have the ports available, using link aggregation between the switches may be a good idea 

6 hours ago, Nocte said:

It should be fine. Make sure to get quality components that will not bottleneck your internet speeds.

This does not mean to get 10gbit-capable devices, but I wouldn't go lower than 1gbit.

So here's what I did to test all of this out, I plugged my main router ( the one at ground floor) to another router through the WAN or internet port on a second router at the 2nd floor, then I connected the ports from the second router to the ports on the extention thingy ( honestly don't know what its name) and from there I connected 2 access points, one in my room, the other in the living area. 

so far I'm getting my promised internet connection bandwith from my ISP, but I have about 8ms latency. which I don't have if I connect directly to the main router which gives me about 2-3ms. 

does that mean I'm bottlenecking my internet speeds in any way? 

also my ISP plan is only about 50/10 as this will suffice for current usage. if I ever plan on running a home server network, then I'll upgrade to 250/50 but in my country that really costs a lot, already a 50/10 costs about 110$.

1 hour ago, hv0k said:

so far I'm getting my promised internet connection bandwith from my ISP, but I have about 8ms latency. which I don't have if I connect directly to the main router which gives me about 2-3ms. 

does that mean I'm bottlenecking my internet speeds in any way? 

The more devices you add, the more latency you add as well.

The amount of latency added depends on the device (and the routing).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

The above is true, adding devices such as routers and AP's adds a small amount of latency as those devices have to router that data to it's destination. 8ms is hardly anything and I'd go as far as to say that's pretty good. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15