UPS PowerWalker

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
2 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:

Is it worth to paid 70-80 GBP more for UPS with pure sine wave like CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD ?

It is more efficient and does help with compatibility of power supplies as there can be some that will reject a poorly situated sinewave thinking it’s rejecting bad power by shutting itself off. Being a stepped simulated unit I personally haven’t seen any issues with APC units with compactly in my experience. 

If you are on a tight budget then the APC unit will be good but if you can spare a bit more I’d Invest in a pure sinwave unit as it a UPS will last you for many years to come. 

I'm not an electrician but the Output power factor of 0.6 concerns me a bit. How much are you expecting to pull out of that ups?. If i'm not mistaken with a 900W rated unit and a oPF of 0.6  you'd have at best 500W.

Also remember this unit is for 230V not for 115V. so bare that in mind.

Besides that seems to be a bare minimum unit that would do the work just fine if you watch the indications.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, faziten said:

I'm not an electrician but the Output power factor of 0.6 concerns me a bit. How much are you expecting to pull out of that ups?. If i'm not mistaken with a 900W rated unit and a oPF of 0.6  you'd have at best 500W.

Besides that seems to be a bare minimum unit that would do the work just fine if you watch the indications.

I want it for my gaming PC (750W PSU) , Monitor and Router. The standard voltage of my Country is 240 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, JohnnyCyp said:

Hello, i found this ups: https://powerwalker.com/?page=product&item=10120019&lang=en for a very good price (85 euro)

Is PowerWalker a good brand for ups ?

Can't say I've hear of this unit, similar to PC PSU's you pay what you get and as it doesn't say anywhere the details of it's output waveform I would not deem that to be acceptable.  It would be best to look for a brand name like APC, Cyberpower, Eaton, Tripplite, Etc, also what are your complete system specs as we can better determine what your power needs are. 

On 4/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, faziten said:

That's based on the output of the unit of 1500VA or 900W which pertains to a PF of 0.6.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:19 AM, W-L said:

Can't say I've hear of this unit, similar to PC PSU's you pay what you get and as it doesn't say anywhere the details of it's output waveform I would not deem that to be acceptable.  It would be best to look for a brand name like APC, Cyberpower, Eaton, Tripplite, Etc, also what are your complete system specs as we can better determine what your power needs are.

Here is my specs of my PC, Monitor and Speakers but i don't think it's worth it to put my speakers in the ups. I want to put in the ups only the PC, monitor and Router (Linksys E1200 N300)

Just now, JohnnyCyp said:

Here is my specs of my PC, Monitor and Speakers. I don't think the speakers it's worth it to put it in the UPS but if i can put also the speakers and PS4 in a good budget UPS like that i will to do that. I have priority to protect my PC, monitor and Router (Linksys E900)

8 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:
-SNIP-

You won't be drawing much more power even with the speakers and networking equipment. That system should max out at around 400-450W. Something like this from Cyberpower would be more than sufficient. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberPower-CP1500EPFCLCD-UK-Backup-Sinewave-Sockets/dp/B01MUY9AXN

8 hours ago, W-L said:

You won't be drawing much more power even with the speakers and networking equipment. That system should max out at around 400-450W. Something like this from Cyberpower would be more than sufficient. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberPower-CP1500EPFCLCD-UK-Backup-Sinewave-Sockets/dp/B01MUY9AXN

With this CyberPower UPS can i put also my speakers and PS4 in surge outlet and the rest in battery ?

Can i use this adapter in IEC output of UPS ?

8 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:

With this CyberPower UPS can i put also my speakers and PS4 in surge outlet and the rest in battery ?

Can i use this adapter in IEC output of UPS ?

Yes you can even put all your devices on the battery backup with enough power. 

I wouldn’t recommend cheap adapters as there also wouldn’t be enough space around each plug, you can get IEC to Schuko or UK breakout power sockets. Ideally getting IEC replacement cables would be best. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-cable-IEC-plug-socket/dp/B005FWRHNQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=13FRBXTLOO8K0&keywords=iec+to+uk+socket&qid=1556210175&s=gateway&sprefix=iec+to+&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Extension-Cable-Kettle-Female/dp/B075JN7ZZ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=iec+extension&qid=1556210370&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

6 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:

Yes that unit would also be good. It’s not a pure sinewave unit but a stepped approx sinewave which is still very respectable.

5 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes that unit would also be good. It’s not a pure sinewave unit but a stepped approx sinewave which is still very respectable.

Is it worth to paid 70-80 GBP more for UPS with pure sine wave like CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD ?

From the weight I can tell it has a lead-acid battery and a stabilizer circuit with a coil transformer inside, kind of a simple model, the only downside of it is the power factor (40% of total is wasted).

Not the worse model you can find out there, the catch with these units is that the VA/W they advertise is usually the peak the unit can mantain typically for a few seconds, what you need to find is the nominal VA/W output which is what it can sustain for longer periods, I couldn't find it on their site so it must (usually is) be printed in a label on the back of the UPS.

There's little difference between stepped and pure sinewave, these last contain polymer batteries that are more efficient, brands that use them are  APC, CyberPower, Schneider Electric, etc 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:

It is more efficient and does help with compatibility of power supplies as there can be some that will reject a poorly situated sinewave thinking it’s rejecting bad power by shutting itself off. Being a stepped simulated unit I personally haven’t seen any issues with APC units with compactly in my experience. 

If you are on a tight budget then the APC unit will be good but if you can spare a bit more I’d Invest in a pure sinwave unit as it a UPS will last you for many years to come. 

On 4/27/2019 at 1:17 AM, W-L said:

Because my budget is tight and i don't want o spend a lot of money on UPS and my priority is to protect my systems from bad voltage and lightning strikes can i use an AVR ? something like that: https://www.apc.com/shop/za/en/products/Line-R-1200VA-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/P-LE1200I

4 hours ago, JohnnyCyp said:

Because my budget is tight and i don't want o spend a lot of money on UPS and my priority is to protect my systems from bad voltage and lightning strikes can i use an AVR ? something like that: https://www.apc.com/shop/za/en/products/Line-R-1200VA-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/P-LE1200I

Those are two completely different systems, an AVR is just for voltage regulation and will not protect from data loss due to a sudden loss of power. Any good quality UPS will have both an AVR and batter backup system which is what will help most if you suffer a lot of blackouts or brownouts. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Those are two completely different systems, an AVR is just for voltage regulation and will not protect from data loss due to a sudden loss of power. Any good quality UPS will have both an AVR and batter backup system which is what will help most if you suffer a lot of blackouts or brownouts. 

ok i calculated my pc specs in outervision.com and i have Load Wattage: 518W, I will be ok if use only for my pc this ups which is 900VA/540W ?
https://www.cyberpower.com/eu/en/product/sku/cp900epfclcd

16 minutes ago, JohnnyCyp said:

ok i calculated my pc specs in outervision.com and i have Load Wattage: 518W, I will be ok if use only for my pc this ups which is 900VA/540W ?
https://www.cyberpower.com/eu/en/product/sku/cp900epfclcd

Your PC wouldn't even come close to that, under maximum load you would be pressed to even get to 450W of full load with some overclocking, so adding a monitor and basic networking would still suffice with that UPS. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Your PC wouldn't even come close to that, under maximum load you would be pressed to even get to 450W of full load with some overclocking, so adding a monitor and basic networking would still suffice with that UPS. 

ok thanks! i go for this then because i found in my Country only for 125euro :) I didn´t understood yet how to calculate my maximum load and which is more important in ups VA or Watt ?

Just now, JohnnyCyp said:

ok thanks! i go for this then because i found in my Country only for 125euro :) I didn´t understood yet how to calculate my maximum load and which is more important in ups VA or Watt ?

It depends on the load, and how it's affects the VA due to poor power factor as both aspects are important. This explains it fairly well but essentially if you were to put an inductive load such as a motor on a UPS that used 100W but a PF of 0.7, it would use a VA of ~142VA or apparent power.

For PC's since all good quality modern PSU's have built in PF correction it would yields essentially a 1:1 ratio between VA and W.

https://www.apc.com/salestools/SADE-5TNQYF/SADE-5TNQYF_R1_EN.pdf?sdirect=true