Network Switch To Speed Up Performance

Graham Carter

Im a virgin media ISP user on a fibre internet connection here in the UK

Have the latest Virgin Media Superb 3.0 at home connected to Virgins VIVID 350 offering and am very happy with the performance of this.

756526888_DS214play-2-920x781copy.png.ab3244f9fea0a1a19fc8945c696106b5.png

Currently the only devices which are plugged into the ethernet ports on the superhub router, are a Synology NAS, a TIVO box and an Amazon Fire TV

However my question is one of load sharing...

efbdb410f0c22c53d7d695dd3a9bbdbcda202cf4.png.7c626d6dd70378a8f2a2ead46a6f7a70.png

I dug out a Network Switch (NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-port) and was curious to ascertain if I daisy chain this into the superhub and then transfer the NAS and FIRETV into the netgear switch, whether or not I would experience a performance gain?

The NAS is used heavily to stream HD content from its hard drives to the FIRETV running PLEX and KODI

Considering that both the superhub and netgear have gigabit ethernet speeds, my train of thought was that as most of the high volume traffic is flowing between the NAS and the FIRETV, transferring the x2 devices to the network switch should ease the load on the superhub which primary use is 7 or 8 devices connected to the 5ghz wifi.

Whats hurting my head though, is would the  netgear switch take care of the heavy lifting with traffic between the NAS and FIRETV or would I have to make some changes on the superhub to make sure this is the case?

Im not a networking expert by a long stretch (hence the forum thread)
To recap on my questions...

• Would plugging the NAS and FIRETV directly into the switch improve wired performance?
  • Does one need to make any config changes on the isp provided superhub to insure that traffic between these x2 devices is handled by the netgear switch?
  • Any changes needed to the network config of the NAS?
  • Perhaps use a different subnet on the netgear switch?

Not a real guru here, but i know some from experience.
Altho most of the traffic will go trough the switch if you put both devices in, it would still need the routing from the router/modem.
But if you would notice the difference im doubtful of that.
Altho even for 4K it should not give you any hiccups or anything since Gigabit is way fast enough for that.

edit: just connect it all and it should work just as it did before, no setup need afaik.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

20 minutes ago, Graham Carter said:

To recap on my questions...

• Would plugging the NAS and FIRETV directly into the switch improve wired performance?
  • Does one need to make any config changes on the isp provided superhub to insure that traffic between these x2 devices is handled by the netgear switch?
  • Any changes needed to the network config of the NAS?
  • Perhaps use a different subnet on the netgear switch?

If the Virgin Media device is gigabit on all ports then you won't get any performance gain by adding in a switch.

No configuration changes needed, provided it's all on the same subnet the switch will switch packets after learning what's connected to what ports so no need for traffic to go to the router.

No network config changes.

If you use a different subnet then traffic will need to hit the router, if it supports that kind of configuration (multiple subnets), to reach anything on the different subnets so I would avoid doing so.

@HanZie82 Is correct, traffic will only hit the router if it's on two different subnets or needs to reach the internet, local traffic will stay on the switch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Thanks for the responses so far Smiley Happy

When I talk about performance, it's more of a visual observation of delays am looking to improve.  

So for example, if I'm scrubbing through HD content via the firetv stored on the nas, I would hope to see less lag using a dedicated switch as apposed to directly using the superhub?  

But again, as both devices are gigabit, then its sounding as though its a fruitless exersise unless I need to connect more ethernet devices

Just now, Graham Carter said:

When I talk about performance, it's more of a visual observation of delays am looking to improve.  

So for example, if I'm scrubbing through HD content via the firetv stored on the nas, I would hope to see less lag using a dedicated switch as apposed to directly using the superhub?  

But again, as both devices are gigabit, then its sounding as though its a fruitless exersise unless I need to connect more ethernet devices

Yah, you might net a very low amount of improvement if the switch in the super hub is crap but if you're getting near gigabit transfers between local devices connected to the SuperHub I would leave it as is unless you need more devices connected and add the switch then.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Graham Carter said:

It's worth pointing out that the "SuperHub" is just a combined router and switch in 1. Even cheap ISP supplied routers have fairly decent packet switching rates that there should be no discernible difference if any between using the SuperHub or using the Netgear switch for such a small number of ports. Switching packet rate becomes more of a thing when you start getting up to 16+ ports which is why they generally have much faster processors, so they can switch hundres of thousands, or even millions of packets per second. 

With those 3 devices you won't see any difference. 

If you're noticing scrubbing slowness it's probably due to the processing power given it's a low powered device. I see a big difference between my HTPC i3 7100 and my Android TV (which also uses the quad core Snapdragon like the FireTV) just due to the power difference of the devices. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA