Can I run a 1050ti on a 240w PSU?

Go to solution Solved by tahmid133712,
1 hour ago, TECHNOKID said:

Can I run a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile Graphics Card (GV-N105TOC-4GL) on an HP Elitedesk 800 G1 sff. I have a 240w psu 80+ platinum with an i5 4750?

I've done a bit of digging for you and I've found that your HP Elitdesk 800 G1 SFF has PCI-E capped power limit at 35w while the 750ti 2GB has a TDP of 60w. This shows that a 750ti will not work. If you attempt to use a 750ti in this machine you may not get past the BIOS and even if you do, run a game an it will crash and could damage the card and PCI-E slot. I don't recommend getting the 750ti rather a GT 1030 is probably the best path forward for this PC as it had a max TDP of 30w across all major manufacturers. It may not be the best GPU out there but there isn't much else you can do about the PCI-E power cap. Hope this helps. 

Please tag me in any replies and let me know how it goes.

Can I run a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile Graphics Card (GV-N105TOC-4GL) on an HP Elitedesk 800 G1 sff. I have a 240w psu 80+ platinum with an i5 4750?

I wouldnt do it, those power supplies OEM's use are usually garbage and the card may overpower things.

I mean technically it can be done using PSU calculator I was able to determine you do have just enough juice for it but still... its risky.

Considering this is a small form factor no doubt a proprietary PSU is involved so yeah this will not be ideal.

11 minutes ago, TECHNOKID said:

The 12v railing is not going to be optimal.  That is a POS PSU.  Your full load draw is more near 300 watts so the 240 will not do the job.  Also we don't know the ampage on the 12v rail and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

5 minutes ago, TECHNOKID said:

I would upgrade to at least something more than 350w because some of these OEM machines are supposed to output 75w but are limited by the manufacturer to 55w so the card may not respond if it doesn't use external power. If this problem is true in your case then scrap the entire PC as no GPU will work with it even if you upgrade the PSU, the PCI-E is still limited. One suggestion from me is to try get a deal on one of those Optiplex Mini Tower machines. They have loads of potential for upgrades as is my one. I had bought an Optiplex 990 Mini Tower and upgraded it to it's max. It had already an i5 2500 @3.30Ghz and 8gb DDR3 memory. All I had to do was stick a Corsair VS550 (Silver Series not Gold) and a gigabyte RX 570 in there a boom I have a gaming PC. 

The actual system draw of an i5 4570 and a 1050 ti is like 150 watts, you have enough power but like @tahmid133712 said, OEM boards definitely break PCIe spec and don't deliver enough power a lot of the time.

12 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

using PSU calculator

These are always inaccurate, the load of the system is nowhere near 240 watts.

@TECHNOKID the GT 1030 might work because the power draw is extremely low, but possibly not worth getting because it's so ineffective at gaming.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, TECHNOKID said:

What about a 750ti?

Yes that would be enough you can even get the one that doesnt require a power pin but that is lot slower than 1050 Ti..

also use quote or mention in here so people will get a notification

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

There are GTX 1050ti cards that are "low power" which means they are powered only by the PCIe so 75W max. 

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050--1050-ti-review?page=6

Total system power 143W with 1050ti at stock. 

CPU not at 100% load. 

He has an OEM SFF PC, it most likely won't be outputting what a 1050ti requires. I don't know why but many OEM manufacturers limit the power that their PCI-E slots output no matter what PSU you have.

1 hour ago, TECHNOKID said:

I've done a bit of digging for you and I've found that your HP Elitdesk 800 G1 SFF has PCI-E capped power limit at 35w while the 750ti 2GB has a TDP of 60w. This shows that a 750ti will not work. If you attempt to use a 750ti in this machine you may not get past the BIOS and even if you do, run a game an it will crash and could damage the card and PCI-E slot. I don't recommend getting the 750ti rather a GT 1030 is probably the best path forward for this PC as it had a max TDP of 30w across all major manufacturers. It may not be the best GPU out there but there isn't much else you can do about the PCI-E power cap. Hope this helps. 

Please tag me in any replies and let me know how it goes.

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

The actual system draw of an i5 4570 and a 1050 ti is like 150 watts, you have enough power but like @tahmid133712 said, OEM boards definitely break PCIe spec and don't deliver enough power a lot of the time.

These are always inaccurate, the load of the system is nowhere near 240 watts.

@TECHNOKID the GT 1030 might work because the power draw is extremely low, but possibly not worth getting because it's so ineffective at gaming.

Note that I only use PSU calculator as a baseline, I use outervision and I do account for margin of error when possible and I still gave fair warning that even if the system did support for the GPU it would not be advised due to its low wattage and sub par PSU

• 10 months later...