Asus Prime X470 PRO M.2 bandwidth

So, I recently made the upgrade on my PC and I picked up this great motherboard to find only one problem. The Asus Prime X470 Pro manual states that it supports 3.0/2.0 Bandwidth but I'm only capping at 1.7 sequential read and 1.6 sequential write speeds. I'm running the Ryzen 7 2700X and, as you can see, the Samsung 970 PRO. I understand those speeds are still insanely fast, but I was getting getting close to the 3.5/2.5 cap before with my Intel motherboard. What am I doing wrong? I did some research and came across some articles that explain past issues with other versions of the X470. Please help! I did forget to mention that I have checked and my BIOS is up to date.

648985641_PerformanceIssues.thumb.png.e954a9f68c5353c39ed44da85b6626df.png

Could this have to be with the limitations in PCI-e lanes?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

7 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Could this have to be with the limitations in PCI-e lanes?

Assuming OP used M.2_1 (top slot), no. If they are using the bottom slot (which runs at 2X, which has speed of about 1.8GB per second) that might very well be the case.

Otherwise, this could have to do with Windows running on the drive too at the same time and I can imagine Samsung has benchmarked the drive in an optimal scenario.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Assuming OP used M.2_1 (top slot), no. If they are using the bottom slot (which runs at 2X, which has speed of about 1.8GB per second) that might very well be the case.

Otherwise, this could have to do with Windows running on the drive too at the same time and I can imagine Samsung has benchmarked the drive in an optimal scenario.

Thanks for this. Even though OP could be running the SSD on the sop M.2 slot with Windows installed on it, it is still underperforming. I have a slower (yet, still fast) 970 Evo 500GB and I'm getting higher speeds than the advertised.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

6 minutes ago, PinkQtips said:

@Minibois Actually, the board I have only provides one M.2 slot. I know it's confusing, because there are several versions of this mobo. However, here is a link to the board. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/

The motherboard you linked was the one I looked up (Asus keeps track of what manual you downloaded on their website when, neat!) and it mentions (in text and the diagram I will paste below) 2 M.2 slot:

image.png.4075a382d5b8a743d42d78f32a922645.png

Is this the right diagram for you board? 

Keep in mind, the top M.2 slot is underneath an M.2 heatsink:

image.png.65a4d4414a27a8f06137e14a4fb15856.png

Anyways - putting that aside, are these numbers 'stable' as compared to other benchmarks like CrystalDiskMark? As in, are the speeds you get the same there as in the Samsung benchmark?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Minibois Thanks for that. omg I've looked like 4 times for a second m.2 slot and I didn't realize I had to remove the heat sink to install it underneath. The problem definitely is me in this one. haha One way or the other, give me just a second to check CrystalDiskMark and I'll let you know. If all else fails, at least I now know that I am probably in the wrong slot.

4 minutes ago, PinkQtips said:

@Minibois Thanks for that. omg I've looked like 4 times for a second m.2 slot and I didn't realize I had to remove the heat sink to install it underneath. The problem definitely is me in this one. haha One way or the other, give me just a second to check CrystalDiskMark and I'll let you know. If all else fails, at least I now know that I am probably in the wrong slot.

So, it's consistent. I'm getting 1.5 gb/s. This slot probably only supports 2.0 which caps (I think) at 1.8 gb/s. You're amazing and I'm needy. Officially, thank you.