Fast Interner but high ping

As the title states I have decently fast Internet. My download speed is around 20 Mbps. But my ping is around 100 ms. My when playing on Internet that wasn't even getting 1 Mbps my ping was sitting around 30 ms. Just curious as to why it's so high on faster Internet and it gets annoying trying to play games online. Also not sure if this is the right place to post this thread my first time posting. If not I'm sorry and ask someone let me know where to post it. Lastly my ISP is AT&T if that means anything.

what KIND of service is it?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Internet speed does not determine latency.

Latency is the time it takes to get from you to the server and every hop in between increases latency.

Since you mention you have AT&T and their 20Mbps plan I know you're on DSL which can have all sorts of factors that increase latency.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

But the building is two houses down from my apartment. Lol. Okay I'm following now. Thanks for the info I'll see what I can do to lower it.

1 minute ago, Ryan Brooks said:

But the building is two houses down from my apartment. Lol. Okay I'm following now. Thanks for the info I'll see what I can do to lower it.

Just because they are nearby doesn't mean it takes a direct path to the aggregator. Bad cabling, damage, interference, congestion, etc. can all play into latency as well. Wireless connections to the router will also increase latency by a good bit too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If your using wireless that would explain everything. Especially on 2.4 Ghz. Stuff is massive crowded 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

With the building being close to mine I was being sarcastic I figured there was some other place way out into the clouds that the signal is getting sent to. And I'm not using wireless all my pcs are wired directly to the router. Although could my ethernet cables cause high ping because they are old and I made them in college?

9 minutes ago, Ryan Brooks said:

With the building being close to mine I was being sarcastic I figured there was some other place way out into the clouds that the signal is getting sent to. And I'm not using wireless all my pcs are wired directly to the router. Although could my ethernet cables cause high ping because they are old and I made them in college?

You made your own cables?

What are these for?

10 minutes ago, Ryan Brooks said:

also use something like speedtest.net to check your ping if it is lower than 10ms, means the ping in your games should be good (the game has bad servers), else maybe rplace cables with optical fibres or something

3 hours ago, Ryan Brooks said:

If they are damaged, there is a small possibility, but I would expect much higher ping, constant data loss, etc.

The main issue is DSL and the line coming into your building most likely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for going AWOL. I did make my own cables in a class I was taking in college. Unfortunately didn't graduate hence why I had the question. Also update my cheap butt finally broke down and just bought some new cables and they didn't really help any. I did contact my ISP and they said they would look into it. But that was awhile ago and haven't heard anything so I don't think they really care.

• 4 weeks later...

I mean it also may depend on your location are you in a city or a rural area?

On 4/2/2019 at 5:23 AM, Ryan Brooks said:

Sorry for going AWOL. I did make my own cables in a class I was taking in college. Unfortunately didn't graduate hence why I had the question. Also update my cheap butt finally broke down and just bought some new cables and they didn't really help any. I did contact my ISP and they said they would look into it. But that was awhile ago and haven't heard anything so I don't think they really care.

AT&T doesnt care TBH. Rich areas that have Fiber they care, metro area's where they can easily deploy 4/5G services they care. xDSL they dont give two shits about. AT&T is changing laws in many states where they can just walk the fuck away from their lines on the poles. In theses areas they will most likely rely on 5G. The fact is xDSL is a dead technology, it cant compete with Fiber or DOCSIS (coax) service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.