Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lukep123

Slow Network and solutions

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,
I'll try and get straight to the point without trying to overcomplicate the issue.

I have moved and the internet is quite reasonable, however, I'm unable to connect via ethernet (It's just not possible) and I'm reasonably far away from the router, as a result, the signal I'm getting is poor.
I downloaded a Wifi Analyser and it has shown poor connection, I've also had multiple problems with the network in regards to playing games and having constant lag and when doing diagnostic with Blizzard (WinMTR) and has shown my connection is averaging 1100ms
https://gyazo.com/40a9801c049561989d00cda1d16cfd9c

When I have directly plugged the laptop into the router via the ethernet (I use the PC far away and it's not possible to use ethernet) I don't have any issues.

This is my network card:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BSPTAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If there's any tests you'd like to see to get a better idea, let me know because I know absolutely nothing about networking, which is really why I'm here seeking assistance.
I came seeking if extra hardware or any tips would help improve my network, ie better network card, I was recommended this and I don't know if it'll help; https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-accessories/portal

I was also told the router could be "Dying" by Blizzard, so the advise as pretty varied, so anyone willing to supply assistance would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lukep123 said:

Hello,
I'll try and get straight to the point without trying to overcomplicate the issue.

I have moved and the internet is quite reasonable, however, I'm unable to connect via ethernet (It's just not possible) and I'm reasonably far away from the router, as a result, the signal I'm getting is poor.

--SNIP--
When I have directly plugged the laptop into the router via the ethernet (I use the PC far away and it's not possible to use ethernet) I don't have any issues.
--SNIP

Replace your router with a better one, move it or your computer closer to each other, upgrade the WiFi adapter in your PC (and upgrade the router), or think about hiring a contractor to install a wired ethernet jack in your computer room. You might also try Powerline AV adapters to get a pseudo-wired connection to your PC, but these can vary based on the electrical wiring in your home. Here's the PCIe WiFi card I recommend: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TZJYRF6

 

Let us know what kind of router you have too, because Blizzard has a point: your router might not be dying, but if it's a potato then you're never going to get decent range or stable signal for gaming or video streaming. You don't need to own a $400 router (in fact, I never recommend buying top tier anything, be it a router, GPU, or CPU) but if your router is older or is a combo modem/router supplied by your ISP, an upgrade is definitely something to look into.

 

The reality is that you already know what the problem is: WiFi is NOT meant for gaming. Ever. Period. I don't mean you can't game over WiFi - many people definitely do this, but if your signal is too weak where your computer is located, you really only have 2 options: replace router with better one (even this has limits - a betterrouter may still not solve your problem), replace your WiFi card with something better, or go hard wired.


Desktop: i7-4790k Build - ALMOST COMPLETE Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell Unlimited National Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: HP Touchpad (Android) | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, kirashi said:

Replace your router with a better one, move it or your computer closer to each other, upgrade the WiFi adapter in your PC (and upgrade the router), or think about hiring a contractor to install a wired ethernet jack in your computer room. You might also try Powerline AV adapters to get a pseudo-wired connection to your PC, but these can vary based on the electrical wiring in your home. Here's the PCIe WiFi card I recommend: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TZJYRF6

 

Let us know what kind of router you have too, because Blizzard has a point: your router might not be dying, but if it's a potato then you're never going to get decent range or stable signal for gaming or video streaming. You don't need to own a $400 router (in fact, I never recommend buying top tier anything, be it a router, GPU, or CPU) but if your router is older or is a combo modem/router supplied by your ISP, an upgrade is definitely something to look into.

 

The reality is that you already know what the problem is: WiFi is NOT meant for gaming. Ever. Period. I don't mean you can't game over WiFi - many people definitely do this, but if your signal is too weak where your computer is located, you really only have 2 options: replace router with better one (even this has limits - a betterrouter may still not solve your problem), replace your WiFi card with something better, or go hard wired.

Hi, thank you for your response, and you're right, but I'm not really looking to run flawlessly, just attempt to improve the connection.

The router is as follows, supplied from Vodafone;
Model: HHG2500
Power Rating: 12V
https://gyazo.com/09759b15a34037ba98d823eaafb33832

If the router is bad, which I assume it is, what would you recommend?

I will also look into purchasing the new network card if you think this will assist with a new router. Although, the price isn't too much of a problem, the budget is more towards £200-£250 if you have other recommendations for routers or other network cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lukep123 said:

Hi, thank you for your response, and you're right, but I'm not really looking to run flawlessly, just attempt to improve the connection.

The router is as follows, supplied from Vodafone;
Model: HHG2500
Power Rating: 12V
https://gyazo.com/09759b15a34037ba98d823eaafb33832

If the router is bad, which I assume it is, what would you recommend?

I will also look into purchasing the new network card if you think this will assist with a new router. Although, the price isn't too much of a problem, the budget is more towards £200-£250 if you have other recommendations for routers or other network cards.

Hmm actually, despite being from 2014, that modem/router combo unit isn't too much of a potato, hardware wise. It supports Wireless AC, had 4 gigabit LAN ports, and runs OpenRG linux based firmware. Doesn't mean the implementation of the firmware is good though, but it does look OK on paper.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Huawei_HHG2500

 

I'd look into replacing the WiFi card first, along with repositioning your PC or modem/router. You don't need to move it from room to room, as I understand that isn't possible, but even elevating the modem/router up off the floor or getting it out from inside a media cabinet can help tremendously with range issues. Same with rotating your PC so the back of it faces the modem/router instead of having the WiFi signal have to pass through the entire PC if the front of it currently faces the modem/router.

 

If you want to get an idea of whether or not the signal improves when moving the modem/router, I recommend using UBNT's WiFiMan app, available for both iOS and Android. This will show you the db signal strength that your phone is receiving while you move the modem/router around. Bear in mind that the WiFi antenna/chipset in your phone varies from that of the PCIe card in your PC, but it's a good way to get a baseline reading on signal strength.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en_CA


Desktop: i7-4790k Build - ALMOST COMPLETE Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell Unlimited National Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: HP Touchpad (Android) | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites

2.5GHZ and 5GHZ and channels the router is being set on.  you can check more easily, if you have a smartphone or tablet or like, run an app for local wifi for local wifi. you may be trying to cram yourself in other frequency and/or channel that is already to much going on. 

 

you might try a USB wifi stick, and get a few feet of usb extension cable.  so you can move antenna further away from pc and in a better spot. 

so you have internet connecting to router in home... air... pc with longer usb extension cable, to a usb wifi

i say usb on usb extender. because guessing computer is shoved back into some spot. and everything around the actual antennas on usb card are adding to issue of connectivity. 

 

you can get wifi extenders.  run a cable from current router to another part of house to extend wifi.

so you have internet connecting to router in home... cable connecting to another router or wifi extender... air to computer.

 

you can also get another router (with extenstion build in) more modern decent routers have this.  and plug this router into ethernet on computer and extend the router further away from were it is. 

so you have   internet connecting to router in home.... air....another router... cable to computer. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, boggen said:

2.5GHZ and 5GHZ and channels the router is being set on.  you can check more easily, if you have a smartphone or tablet or like, run an app for local wifi for local wifi. you may be trying to cram yourself in other frequency and/or channel that is already to much going on. 

 

you might try a USB wifi stick, and get a few feet of usb extension cable.  so you can move antenna further away from pc and in a better spot. 

so you have internet connecting to router in home... air... pc with longer usb extension cable, to a usb wifi

i say usb on usb extender. because guessing computer is shoved back into some spot. and everything around the actual antennas on usb card are adding to issue of connectivity. 

 

you can get wifi extenders.  run a cable from current router to another part of house to extend wifi.

so you have internet connecting to router in home... cable connecting to another router or wifi extender... air to computer.

 

you can also get another router (with extenstion build in) more modern decent routers have this.  and plug this router into ethernet on computer and extend the router further away from were it is. 

so you have   internet connecting to router in home.... air....another router... cable to computer. 

 

 


Hi, thanks for the advice. After having already purchased the network card, I will see if this improves the connection and if not, explore a different router and look into this. Thanks for taking the time to help.
 

17 hours ago, kirashi said:

Hmm actually, despite being from 2014, that modem/router combo unit isn't too much of a potato, hardware wise. It supports Wireless AC, had 4 gigabit LAN ports, and runs OpenRG linux based firmware. Doesn't mean the implementation of the firmware is good though, but it does look OK on paper.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Huawei_HHG2500

 

I'd look into replacing the WiFi card first, along with repositioning your PC or modem/router. You don't need to move it from room to room, as I understand that isn't possible, but even elevating the modem/router up off the floor or getting it out from inside a media cabinet can help tremendously with range issues. Same with rotating your PC so the back of it faces the modem/router instead of having the WiFi signal have to pass through the entire PC if the front of it currently faces the modem/router.

 

If you want to get an idea of whether or not the signal improves when moving the modem/router, I recommend using UBNT's WiFiMan app, available for both iOS and Android. This will show you the db signal strength that your phone is receiving while you move the modem/router around. Bear in mind that the WiFi antenna/chipset in your phone varies from that of the PCIe card in your PC, but it's a good way to get a baseline reading on signal strength.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en_CA

Hey, that's good to hear, hopefully it'll save me a bit of money if I don't have to purcahe another router.

I have purchased the Wifi card you originally mentioned and once this arrives, I shall be moving the PC around and attempt to hopefully find a more reasonable signal.
Right now, the router isn't even on the same floor. It's on the bottom floor, with the PC being on the third floor, but it is in the open space and on top of the highest ornament in the room, I noticed a small improve when I originally did this.

I'll also download this app and keep you updated, hopefully if it doesn't improve, you'll be able to recommend potential routers.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lukep123 said:

Right now, the router isn't even on the same floor.

This is your problem. If your router can switch out antennas you can get a better one that increases the range. 2 floor difference is simply more than what a consumer grade router can handle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lukep123 said:

Right now, the router isn't even on the same floor. It's on the bottom floor, with the PC being on the third floor, but it is in the open space and on top of the highest ornament in the room, I noticed a small improve when I originally did this.

Um... yeah, OK, so I apologize - I should have asked for the layout / size of your home. While purchasing the better PCIe WiFi adapter should help (read: upgrading from your existing one is not a waste of money by any means), you're definitely going to need to look into PowerLine AV or another solution if you cannot relocate your router to the central floor of your home.

 

The reality is that WiFi propagates outward in all directions from the Access Point location, so having it stuffed in a corner of the basement while your PC resides on the top floor is... a challenge, to say the least. You can look into buying a range extender to be placed in the middle floor of your home where you already have good WiFi signal, but be warned that not all range extenders are created equal, just like PCIe WiFi cards, modems, and routers. They can help when setup & configured correctly, but cheaply made or incorrectly setup / placed extenders can actually hinder your network more than they help.

 

Keep us posted on your troubleshooting though, as eventually you will solve your WiFi troubles - just takes some time, effort, and a bit of money.


Desktop: i7-4790k Build - ALMOST COMPLETE Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell Unlimited National Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: HP Touchpad (Android) | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lukep123 said:

Right now, the router isn't even on the same floor. It's on the bottom floor,

If you have coax ran through out your home id look at Moca adapters. They might be your saving grace here. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/13/2019 at 12:22 AM, Donut417 said:

If you have coax ran through out your home id look at Moca adapters. They might be your saving grace here. 

Hey, I did check this originally, but unfortunately not.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, LinusOnLine said:

This is your problem. If your router can switch out antennas you can get a better one that increases the range. 2 floor difference is simply more than what a consumer grade router can handle.

It cannot switch out antennas. If you have any recommendations of routers I can purchase I would be very happy to check them out.
 

On 3/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, kirashi said:

Um... yeah, OK, so I apologize - I should have asked for the layout / size of your home. While purchasing the better PCIe WiFi adapter should help (read: upgrading from your existing one is not a waste of money by any means), you're definitely going to need to look into PowerLine AV or another solution if you cannot relocate your router to the central floor of your home.

 

The reality is that WiFi propagates outward in all directions from the Access Point location, so having it stuffed in a corner of the basement while your PC resides on the top floor is... a challenge, to say the least. You can look into buying a range extender to be placed in the middle floor of your home where you already have good WiFi signal, but be warned that not all range extenders are created equal, just like PCIe WiFi cards, modems, and routers. They can help when setup & configured correctly, but cheaply made or incorrectly setup / placed extenders can actually hinder your network more than they help.

 

Keep us posted on your troubleshooting though, as eventually you will solve your WiFi troubles - just takes some time, effort, and a bit of money.

I did try and move it around and slightly increased the signal strenght, and with the added network card there has been quite an improvment, I can feel less lag, too - which is a great sign already.
However, if you do have any other hardware such as an improvement router I can look into to further the progress I would much appreciate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×