Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Froggeraj

Server storage

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Searching for ideas for adding more storage to my server. I know there is sas controllers and all that. What I need to know is what is a good external sas enclosure and card that make a good combo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Budget? How many drives do you want it to hold?

 

What server do you have?

 

Ds4243, SA120, md1200 are all good options.

I have the MD1200 - can confirm it works great.

 

Downside: it is LOUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD. I have it paired with a Dell T410 dual socket (both populated) and I can’t even hear the server over the noise the disk shelf generates. 


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Budget? How many drives do you want it to hold?

 

What server do you have?

 

Ds4243, SA120, md1200 are all good options.

Like 200ish and 8 or more drives. Preferably rack mount about but it not that's fine. Honestly would be ok with I think that just power the drives and just use external sas and break out cables

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Froggeraj said:

Like 200ish and 8 or more drives. Preferably rack mount about but it not that's fine. Honestly would be ok with I think that just power the drives and just use external sas and break out cables

Did you look at those above devices on ebay? THey should all fit those needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you look at those above devices on ebay? THey should all fit those needs.

So do I just need 2 sas cards for the md1200 or just 1? And will the drives show up separate or as one unit

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

So do I just need 2 sas cards for the md1200 or just 1? And will the drives show up separate or as one unit

You don't need 2 cables - but you do increase potential bandwidth/performance if you use 2.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

So do I just need 2 sas cards for the md1200 or just 1? And will the drives show up separate or as one unit

Its a sas expander, so it shows all the drives as seprate. You can get a raid card or a hba to manage all the drives.

 

Like @dalekphalm said, 2 cables = more speed, but if this is for a nas or your using hdds, it probalby won't make a big difference.

 

Some of these boxes support dual controllers, thats for uptime, and you need dual port sas drives, and that way you can have 2 servers connected to the same array(you probably don't want this)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 3/17/2019 at 12:56 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its a sas expander, so it shows all the drives as seprate. You can get a raid card or a hba to manage all the drives.

 

Like @dalekphalm said, 2 cables = more speed, but if this is for a nas or your using hdds, it probalby won't make a big difference.

 

Some of these boxes support dual controllers, thats for uptime, and you need dual port sas drives, and that way you can have 2 servers connected to the same array(you probably don't want this)

any good sas cards for this unit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

any good sas cards for this unit?

and im currently looking at a  Dell PowerVault MD1220 holds more drives any good?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Froggeraj said:

and im currently looking at a  Dell PowerVault MD1220 holds more drives any good?

Only if your going for 2.5" drives. The MD 1200 supports 3.5" drives


Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

 

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

 

 QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Only if your going for 2.5" drives. The MD 1200 supports 3.5" drives

No I didnt realize that. Going with 3.5 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want a hba or raid card? Id get something like a 9207-8e for hba and and a h800 for a raid

 

So the 9207-8e has 2 ports can I be hooked up to 2 differnt jbods?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

any good sas cards for this unit?

@Electronics Wizardy gave a couple of good options. I actually have an H800 card that I got with my server - it was originally used with the MD1200 in RAID configuration with my server. I opted to swap it out for an HBA since I was running FreeNAS, but the H800 works great.

Spoiler

*cough* my H800 is still for sale, PM for details if interested

 

2 hours ago, Froggeraj said:

and im currently looking at a  Dell PowerVault MD1220 holds more drives any good?

I'd not recommend it for your usage. 2.5" drives and all.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want a hba or raid card? Id get something like a 9207-8e for hba and and a h800 for a raid

Good choices. I literally own both of those cards. My T410 came with an H800, and I replaced it with a 9207-8e for my FreeNAS setup.


For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×