I am essentially as moral as pirates without being a "pirate"

BetterThanLife
Just now, Razor Blade said:

How is buying used goods that have not been previously stolen make you a thief? It is not morally wrong.

Pirated software or media is a completely different thing. The person that pirates distributes the content with no compensation going to the creator. That can create hundreds of thousands if not millions of lost sales. If someone sells a CD, that is creating one lost sale. At the same time, that person who sold the CD no longer has the CD. Essentially the creator neither gained or lost anything.

Based on piracy law, it is fully "piracy" think outside of the detail box with it.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

1 minute ago, BetterThanLife said:

Piracy is known as theft no matter what way you try to swing it.

No, it isn't. Companies are constantly pushing for that argument, yes, but, like I said, just claiming something doesn't make it true.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

And with the convenience, and not to mention increased profit for the company, you no longer have a physical copy and your access can be removed at any time.  The negative side is only for the consumer.

If its cheaper... why are my games still $60 on launch with more bugs and problems?

Cheaper for the company not the consumer. Why would the company invest in something that costs them more? I'm not sure what you're arguing about here.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

Cheaper for the company not the consumer. Why would the company invest in something that costs them more? I'm not sure what you're arguing about here.

No physical media stops the second hand market.

Games cost more now on average than they ever have, and games are not complete, demanding you pay for segments left out purposely to take your money from you.

Beta testing games for the rest of it's actual life.. cough Battlefield.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

why are my games still $60 on launch with more bugs and problems?

That has JACK SHIT to do with the distribution-costs. Distribution-costs are the last thing in the chain of things to be paid for, the very last. I mean, games were filled with bugs and problems even before digital distribution came available! You're just too young to be aware of this.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

That has JACK SHIT to do with the distribution-costs. Distribution-costs are the last thing in the chain of things to be paid for, the very last. I mean, games were filled with bugs and problems even before digital distribution came available! You're just too young to be aware of this.

If i compare 1996 to 2019, it is 100x worse for bugs.

We can argue complexity but that is just masking incompetence and thirst for money.

Self help guide.

Just now, BetterThanLife said:

Based on piracy law, it is fully "piracy" think outside of the detail box with it.

Why though? Unless there is a clause about non transfer of ownership, that argument is invalid.

Let's play a game then. Using your logic, lets say I buy materials from my local hardware store and make a bird house with it. I then sell that bird house to someone. Did that person I sold the birdhouse to just become a thief? According to your logic, the hardware store just lost material sales because that person bought my birdhouse.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Why though? Unless there is a clause about non transfer of ownership, that argument is invalid.

Let's play a game then. Using your logic, lets say I buy materials from my local hardware store and make a bird house with it. I then sell that bird house to someone. Did that person I sold the birdhouse to just become a thief? According to your logic, the hardware store just lost material sales because that person bought my birdhouse.

When you buy any software it is licensed to that buyer.

The license is not transferable.

Read the text when you purchase a physical copy.

You escalated that with your inability to rationally understand the larger image.

Self help guide.

Only applies to some countries, not every country.

You escalated that with your inability to rationally understand the larger image.

What? I though we were talking about used hardware sales?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

How is buying used goods that have not been previously stolen make you a thief? It is not morally wrong.

Pirated software or media is a completely different thing. The person that pirates distributes the content with no compensation going to the creator. That can create hundreds of thousands if not millions of lost sales. If someone sells a CD, that is creating one lost sale. At the same time, that person who sold the CD no longer has the CD. Essentially the creator neither gained or lost anything.

Have you ever been to a pawn shop?  They have thousands of CD's, DVD's, and Games.  Or at least they used to, and people used them like a video rental store.  In the process, circumventing the public exposition clause of the piracy laws.

6 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

What? I though we were talking about used hardware sales?

We were, not bird houses.

6 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Have you ever been to a pawn shop?  They have thousands of CD's, DVD's, and Games.  Or at least they used to, and people used them like a video rental store.  In the process, circumventing the public exposition clause of the piracy laws.

As stated a while back, there is a thin line that neither works in benefit of the consumer or the creator and this is one, because to remove this problems is to directly conquer the second hand market, thus losing loyalty.

So they got sneaky and online sales are what will end it passively.

Self help guide.

We were, not bird houses.

I was making an example. You escalated that with your inability to rationally understand my analogy.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I was making an example. You escalated that with your inability to rationally understand my analogy.

Well at least we are on even ground together, here have a beer on me.

Self help guide.

*snip*

So they got sneaky and online sales are what will end it passively.

which you still need hardware to use those online services.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Hardware is where they cannot really win, but based on principle, it is no different.

Self help guide.

Why do you think consoles are now PC's?  There is a standard you can follow when upgrading, making "old hardware" a problem of the past.

They can lock you out of running new games digitally if you do not upgrade, but you get your whole library moving forward.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Why do you think consoles are now PC's?  There is a standard you can follow when upgrading, making "old hardware" a problem of the past.

Consoles were always just smaller, less powerful computers more dedicated to games than general tasks the PC does. Same is true today. Even though consoles have way way more functions than they did in the past, they're truly a viable replacement for media PCs that were marketed so heavily before the Xbox/PS3 days.

4 minutes ago, BetterThanLife said:

Hardware is where they cannot really win, but based on principle, it is no different.

until gaming with the cloud becomes a thing.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

well people used to install lunix on ps3, before a certain update patch. & some news reported the cheapest super computer was putting hundred of ps3 connected together

6 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Consoles were always just smaller, less powerful computers more dedicated to games than general tasks the PC does. Same is true today. Even though consoles have way way more functions than they did in the past, they're truly a viable replacement for media PCs that were marketed so heavily before the Xbox/PS3 days.

Not really.  N64 was arguably more powerful than PCs of its era and the same can be said for Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2.  Console architectures were built for raw gaming power before XBO/PS4.  Console hardware used to be a loss leader proposition.  Now they are built around ease of development and reduction of cost.

As someone who has followed the PC industry for ~30 years, media center PC's were never marketed heavily.  They were an extremely niche market.

6 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

well people used to install lunix on ps3, before a certain update patch. & some news reported the cheapest super computer was putting hundred of ps3 connected together

I had one with YDL on it, it sucked hardcore.  Even compared to then ancient PC's.  The PS3 was just an easy and cheap way to get your hands on the Cell BE processor, which was the last gasp of application specific CPUs.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

*snip*

As someone who has followed the PC industry for ~30 years, media center PC's were never marketed heavily.  They were an extremely niche market.

Maybe location or environment? When I was in high school and starting college, multimedia PCs were all the rage...seemed like you couldn't go to a micro center without tripping over one...people were so excited that you could watch a freaking DVD on your computer!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

PS3 is the best media machine i have, literally.

But nothing beats a PC for browsing web and straight up quality of PC ports (when they are not broken)

I am 29 this year.

Self help guide.

4 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Maybe location or environment? When I was in high school and starting college, multimedia PCs were all the rage...seemed like you couldn't go to a micro center without tripping over one...people were so excited that you could watch a freaking DVD on your computer!

I was working on PC's instead of cutting grass for money as a teen during this time, nobody had those PC's.  This was in a high property value area as well, where keeping up with the Jonses was a thing.  They were too complicated for normal people to operate in the 90's.  The majority of people were likely to have a high end AV setup with component DVD players and LD players in their front room/den.

11 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I was working on PC's instead of cutting grass for money as a teen during this time, nobody had those PC's.

They were too expensive for what they were. People did buy them, I have seen a couple in my lifetime (personally). Some even with those horrible composite in capture cards or WinTV cards

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

They were too expensive for what they were. People did buy them, I have seen a couple in my lifetime (personally). Some even with those horrible composite in capture cards or WinTV cards

I remember the OG Sony VAIO desktop that was like this.  Everything in that class of machine was garbage.  They wanted to price the systems like specialty Hi-Fi gear.