Landing page for LinusTechTips.com

LogicalDrm

In wake of recent Content ID claim issue, I watched another youtubers opinion video, and it had good points. So, @LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg, maybe its time to face the facts. You need much better front page for this community than what YT or just forums can provide.

So imo landing page should be what you get when you go to https://linustechtips.com/main or https://linustechtips.com. It should have all important links to threads, social media, company's site, channels, Floatplane etc. I don't have artistic skills for UI design so here's what I think:

Banner, kinda like forums, with forum style nav-bar (maybe).

Announcements / Important info

Anything current. Scam email note, Content ID thingy with details on how to handle it, LTX, events coverage (because it causes no videos) etc.

Channels

Description and latest videos for all main channels.

Social media

Links/feeds to LMG's main social media accounts.

Community

Link for forum, link to community standards, and most importantly, links to sponsor thread, and both suggestion threads. This might even give us less posts that should be on those threads.

Floatplane

Brief introduction to what FP is, how to join and why you pay per creator. With support email link. And disclaimer that service is in beta.

Anything other important, but i think this would cover most things. I really do agree, that this mess could have handled better. And that Linus really should up his game on professional side of things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you forgot @colonel_mortis and @Whiskers

Mortis reads everything posted here, and Whiskers isn't the important one when we talk about website/forum design.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Mortis reads everything posted here, and Whiskers isn't the important one when we talk about website/forum design.

i know... but i don't know why you would do linus then, as he rarely watches his notifications

31 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i know... but i don't know why you would do linus then, as he rarely watches his notifications

He's the one who is to blame for this mess. Being CEO and all. Nick is the one who should see this. He is what little LMG has for community relations person. And Luke should be the one overseeing forums.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

He's the one who is to blame for this mess. Being CEO and all. Nick is the one who should see this. He is what little LMG has for community relations person. And Luke should be the one overseeing forums.

Luke watches over floatplane, not the forum

Linus is fair enough, but we probably would only see if via someone else and Nick is fair enough too

but the one that MUST see this is mortis, because he has most of the contact with invision

47 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Community

Link for forum, link to community standards, and most importantly, links to sponsor thread, and both suggestion threads. This might even give us less posts that should be on those threads.

Well, this is the only issue I have with this idea. If the page doesn't point straight to the forum then this change would potentially reduce forum traffic and could lower our userbase and monthly visits, which could then lower revenue from displayed ads for instance I suppose? I'm not particularly sure about the outcome, but I feel like when people type linustechtips.com they should still be pointed straight to the forum.

Maybe a notification pop-up window, that you could permanently disable after viewing once, that contained what you wrote:

important links to threads, social media, company's site, channels, Floatplane etc

would be a better and less-invasive idea?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, this is the only issue I have with this idea. If the page doesn't point straight to the forum then this change would potentially reduce forum traffic and could lower our userbase and monthly visits, which could then lower revenue from displayed ads for instance I suppose? I'm not particularly sure about the outcome, but I feel like when people type linustechtips.com they should still be pointed straight to the forum.

Maybe a notification pop-up window, that you could permanently disable after viewing once, that contained what you wrote:

would be a better and less-invasive idea?

Regular users would have forum as bookmark or most visited link saved on browser still. But considering this is supposed to be LTTs main site, this has very little of direct things to LTT. Especially when new user comes to site, maybe angry tech-tuber. Overall having forum main page as landing page is just awful. I don't know many sites where forum would be the main page for site. Its something you need to go to. And having landing page wouldn't hurt Google etc. or it shouldn't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Regular users would have forum as bookmark or most visited link saved on browser still. But considering this is supposed to be LTTs main site, this has very little of direct things to LTT. Especially when new user comes to site, maybe angry tech-tuber. Overall having forum main page as landing page is just awful. I don't know many sites where forum would be the main page for site. Its something you need to go to. And having landing page wouldn't hurt Google etc. or it shouldn't.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but it's been like that for years and changing that is not necessarily the best idea, or at least more things should be considered before making such changes. Also, doesn't this site at least partially do what you're suggesting?
https://www.linusmediagroup.com/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that but it's been like that for years and changing that is not necessarily the best idea, or at least more things should be considered before making such changes. Also, doesn't this site at least partially do what you'd like to be done?
https://www.linusmediagroup.com/

It kinda is. But the problem is that for someone who isn't invested into what LMG/LTT is, finding that page isn't easy. Its not linked to videos, nor About page on YT (which has email, granted). As much wider aspect, having forums equal linustechtips.com and then them having no real relation to LMG is kinda odd.

Watch the first 15-20 minutes of the linked thing and you get what I'm after. Eli does it bit more aggressively than you might like, and while he says he's not trying to be better, he acts like he would be in same situation.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It kinda is. But the problem is that for someone who isn't invested into what LMG/LTT is, finding that page isn't easy. Its not linked to videos, nor About page on YT (which has email, granted). As much wider aspect, having forums equal linustechtips.com and then them having no real relation to LMG is kinda odd.

Watch the first 15-20 minutes of the linked thing and you get what I'm after. Eli does it bit more aggressively than you might like, and while he says he's not trying to be better, he acts like he would be in same situation.

Oooh I didn't see the hyperlink in your post, it's a bit small :P I'll definitely watch it but I'm at work now.

Though again, wouldn't a pop-up message (something similar to those cookie policy pop-ups on most pages nowadays when you visit them for the first time) that points to that LMG page and to other places that may be useful, be a less invasive way of achieving the same goal? You could make the message "remember" the fact that you don't want to view it again so it's not going to become an annoyance for most users.

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Oooh I didn't see the hyperlink in your post, it's a bit small :P I'll definitely watch it but I'm at work now.

Though again, wouldn't a pop-up message (something similar to those cookie policy pop-ups on most pages nowadays when you visit them for the first time) that points to that LMG page and to other places that may be useful, be a less invasive way of achieving the same goal? You could make the message "remember" the fact that you don't want to view it again so it's not going to be an annoyance for most users.

I didn't want to make video the point of this.

Pop up would achieve same. I just wanted to prompt this issue and not point fingers like it seems to be way to go these days.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv