Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iammomo

i7 8086k overclock

Posted · Original PosterOP

if my overclock doesnt crash prime 95 but a few of a stress tests fail is that a horrible thing? if so how would i fix that?

Delid/get a better cooler.

Maybe increase the voltage if it's not too high already.

I like PSUs for some odd reason. Feel free to ask me about PSU questions.

Helios EVO: Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Quick PSU Whitelist: Cooler Master MasterWatt/V/MasterWatt Maker/MIJ, EVGA x2/xQ bar BQ, All Corsair grey units bar VS and HXi/AXi, All SeaSonic bar M12II series/ECO, Thermaltake Toughpower line/iRGB +

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Lower the OC or add more voltage, simple.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, iammomo said:

if my overclock doesnt crash prime 95 but a few of a stress tests fail is that a horrible thing? if so how would i fix that?

Please do not run syntethic stress tests as it will only abuse your CPU and nothing else.  Also temps are 10 to 15c higher then a Aida64 stability test which I recommend you run which is not synthetic.  Who cares about prime when in the real world your CPU will not get taxed like that.  Do not take a fail in Prime meaning your system is unstable.  Just run Aida64 stress test for 1 hour straight and if it doesn't throttle or crash then your set.  Also your temps will be lower because no synthetic crapola is going on.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4600 @ 1.456v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 4.50BT SE / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

1 hour ago, iammomo said:

lower 100mhz or add .02v imho, in real world loads, failing prime like means it's unstable but temps will never get close to prime fft temps.

9900k 1.36v 5.2 83C 185w 1.24v 4.9 60C 135w 1.05v 4.5 90w 50C (doing some testing for hot days) all-2avx cinebench/blender temps. avx voltages in prime. ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios fixed LLC voltage gaps ll gskill 2x8gb cl16 ddr4000 bdie 1.42v ll 4x samsung 970 evo 256gb (asus hyper pcie m2 raid card) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 (<--i should've went with 1tb nvmemistake of the build) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC (duo fan skinny) 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (really bad ocer) ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (rgb98)

If your overclock is crashing in real world it is likely that you've left on all the speedstep crap.

When you throw a stress test load on the CPU you are likely hitting it with 100% workload non stop.

This is good for testing how far you are off of TJ Max when checking the temps to see how much room you have for overclocking more or dropping back your voltages if its stable.

My suggestion would be turn off power saving functions disable speedstep so it stays at the turbo speed all the time.

Likely what is happening is your CPU is clocking down and back up during loads somewhere in the middle it isn't stable at a low clock with that voltage.

Other things you can try and flatten out your curve with Load Line Calibration to get an even voltage, every motherboard is different for what Level is set.

it's good to google what the flat line looks like for your model.

I would probably start out with turning off speedstep throttling stuff and LLC first.

Prime95 is really not that great a representation of real world load unless your doing rendering, if you're doing gaming AIDA64 stress test is good and if it sees any bad data it will abort the stress test.

You can also turn on GPU stress with CPU stress if you have both on the same water loop so you can measure close to real world 100% load on both devices and dial in your fan speeds etc on the radiator.

If you have done any memory overclock certainly set that back to default for your sticks as its best to overclock your CPU first then memory later.

Also if you are using 4 sticks of DDR4 sometimes removing 2 of them so you're on 2 sticks total is better for some CPU IMC's that aren't that great at overclocking.

For example a stock 3400Mhz DDR4 kit a 8700k at 5.1+Ghz may not like running at 3400Mhz even though the memory is fine out of the box the IMC on the CPU doesn't like it.

But if you are running at 3200Mhz you shouldn't have any issues that seems to be pretty fine in the 5Ghz area on most 8700k's.

Make one change and test, save some Motherboard Profiles write some of the changes down on a notepad, make another change till you are all dialed in.

Took me 5 months to get the most out of my CPU.

CPU | Intel i7-8086K Overclocked 5.4Ghz @ 1.44v | GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Overclocked 2190Mhz | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz |MOTHERBOARD | Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | STORAGE | 2x Samsung EvO 256GB NVME  | COOLING | Hard Line Custom Loop D5 Pump Monsta 480mm Radiator  | MONITOR | Acer Predator X34 | OS | Windows 10