Please help me! Overclock old GPU! URGENT!

Dijon

So Im on a budget till I get my hands on some cash in a few months im stuck with a ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT 240 DDR3 GPU. I was checking GPU overclocking and I thought hey why not? But Im clueless on these things so I need help, please. I have a 300 WATT powersupply, I want to know to how much O/C I should put my GT 240 on and not destroy my PSU. Also if someone could guide me through it, I would be very pleased, as I have no clue how to do that too. Any help much appreciated. ❤️

My current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (will upgrade)

4GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, 2.75 GB usable, according to Windows (Will upgrade soon)

PSU 300 WATT (Look below for picture of PSU) (will upgrade this too but will need time to do so)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

500GB HDD

250GB HDD

MS-7358 Motherboard

ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT 240 DDR3 (will upgrade to either GT 1030 or GTX 750 Ti, but again in a few months)

PIC of PSU:

20190218_130311.jpg

That is a POTATO Grade GPU, i doubt you can get it stable if you OC it and again it wont give you that much of a performance boost..like...nothing at all.

But if you still insist Download MSI AFTERBURNER and just educate yourself by watching/reading the tutorial on how to use it.

Its not rocket science, everyone can do it.

But if you ask me, Dont bother with it your best choice is just get another GPU.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

That is a POTATO Grade GPU, i doubt you can get it stable if you OC it and again it wont give you that much of a performance boost..like...nothing at all.

But if you still insist Download MSI AFTERBURNER and just educate yourself by watching/reading the tutorial on how to use it.

Its not rocket science, everyone can do it.

But if you ask me, Dont bother with it your best choice is just get another GPU.

I will get a GPU maybe in a few month, I just well, wanted to practice with this on I guess

3 minutes ago, Dijon said:

I will get a GPU maybe in a few month, I just well, wanted to practice with this on I guess

Owh..then all you need to do is to learn on how to use that software, No need to OC your current GPU it wont get you anywhere nor it will improve your OC skill because it required...mmmmhh at least a decent GPU like 750 Ti to be used for practice.

The point is all you need to do is to learn what OC is and to use that software and then you'll know what i am talking about. You got a lot to learn about OC.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

27 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Owh..then all you need to do is to learn on how to use that software, No need to OC your current GPU it wont get you anywhere nor it will improve your OC skill because it required...mmmmhh at least a decent GPU like 750 Ti to be used for practice.

The point is all you need to do is to learn what OC is and to use that software and then you'll know what i am talking about. You got a lot to learn about OC.

Thanks man I will research more into it, Many Thanks, ❤️

I am going to disagree with Hiya, as OC'ing POS GPU's like this one are pretty fun and will help you learn what to look for.

Download MSI Afterburner and MSI Kombuster install them in that order. You will be given the option to install RIva Statistics Tuner, it will simply put an FPS overlay on all games. Useful, but not needed.

Open both programs, start a stress test on Kombuster and begin playing with it. FIrst thing to turn up is the power limit, then move the clock speeds on Core and Memory up until it crashes (you will need to click okay after every move for it to apply)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

13 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I am going to disagree with Hiya, as OC'ing POS GPU's like this one are pretty fun and will help you learn what to look for.

Download MSI Afterburner and MSI Kombuster install them in that order. You will be given the option to install RIva Statistics Tuner, it will simply put an FPS overlay on all games. Useful, but not needed.

Open both programs, start a stress test on Kombuster and begin playing with it. FIrst thing to turn up is the power limit, then move the clock speeds on Core and Memory up until it crashes (you will need to click okay after every move for it to apply)

Ah ok but my power and temp limits are greyed out? Why is that?

9 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Ah ok but my power and temp limits are greyed out? Why is that?

Ah, that is because they are locked out and non-adjustable. So you only have core and memory clocks to mess with. See how much higher they'll go without causing instability

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

34 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Ah, that is because they are locked out and non-adjustable. So you only have core and memory clocks to mess with. See how much higher they'll go without causing instability

I tried both a bit each, but get this, I lose performance? I did 3DMark Cloud Gate without O/C, got 3624, did it with 100Mhz on each O/C, I got 2543 score on Cloud Gate? Whenever I keep going across the scale, performance goes down? Why is this?

51 minutes ago, Dijon said:

I tried both a bit each, but get this, I lose performance? I did 3DMark Cloud Gate without O/C, got 3624, did it with 100Mhz on each O/C, I got 2543 score on Cloud Gate? Whenever I keep going across the scale, performance goes down? Why is this?

Hmm... Thermal or Power throttling, looks like you wont get much in terms of an OC then. Sorry :(

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Hmm... Thermal or Power throttling, looks like you wont get much in terms of an OC then. Sorry :(

Is it because of the GPU, will the same thing happen if I get a new GTX 750Ti or a GT 1030?

4 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Is it because of the GPU, will the same thing happen if I get a new GTX 750Ti or a GT 1030?

I would save up for a 1050Ti, they wont be that much more expensive, and yield you much better results. Also can be properly overclocked!

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I would save up for a 1050Ti, they wont be that much more expensive, and yield you much better results. Also can be properly overclocked!

Ah ok problem is, I have a old 300 WATT PSU. So I dont know if it will support it.

It says it will but I dont know:here is picture of PSU:

20190218_130311.jpg

17 hours ago, Dijon said:

So Im on a budget till I get my hands on some cash in a few months im stuck with a ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT 240 DDR3 GPU. I was checking GPU overclocking and I thought hey why not? But Im clueless on these things so I need help, please. I have a 300 WATT powersupply, I want to know to how much O/C I should put my GT 240 on and not destroy my PSU. Also if someone could guide me through it, I would be very pleased, as I have no clue how to do that too. Any help much appreciated. ❤️

My current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (will upgrade)

4GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, 2.75 GB usable, according to Windows (Will upgrade soon)

PSU 300 WATT (Look below for picture of PSU) (will upgrade this too but will need time to do so)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

500GB HDD

250GB HDD

MS-7358 Motherboard

ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT 240 DDR3 (will upgrade to either GT 1030 or GTX 750 Ti, but again in a few months)

PIC of PSU:

The elephant in the room is the E6750. Until you've got a better CPU, board and memory, there's no point upgrading your GPU. You're probably strangling the GT 240 as-is. What CPU are you going to be upgrading to?

Also, FSP OEM PSUs are generally fine. Their crappy fans will die long before the unit normally would.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

15 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The elephant in the room is the E6750. Until you've got a better CPU, board and memory, there's no point upgrading your GPU. You're probably strangling the GT 240 as-is. What CPU are you going to be upgrading to?

Also, FSP OEM PSUs are generally fine. Their crappy fans will die long before the unit normally would.

Well I will upgrade the RAM at a later date to 8GB but the mobo, Im afriad are too expensive so that will have to stay. For the CPU I was think of a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz. But what CPU do you think is better than the one I have, is really cheap (like really cheap, alot lower priced than th Q9650 please) and that is supported on the LGA 775 Socket my mobo supports?

Much appreciated for the last responce, ❤️

20 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Well I will upgrade the RAM at a later date to 8GB but the mobo, Im afriad are too expensive so that will have to stay. For the CPU I was think of a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz. But what CPU do you think is better than the one I have, is really cheap (like really cheap, alot lower priced than th Q9650 please) and that is supported on the LGA 775 Socket my mobo supports?

Much appreciated for the last responce, ❤️

Q6600. Much cheaper than a Q9650, and you can overclock it to 3.0GHz with a couple small strips of electric tape. Using proper overclocking on a board, you can probably get it higher than that. A GTX 1050 Ti is the absolute highest end card I would consider with a Q6600, although if you can snag an RX 470 or RX 570, you can downclock it a bit, undervolt it some and lock your framerates at 60 to minimize the effects of a GPU that's too powerful for the CPU and have a better GPU for down the line.

If you do, at some point, find a deal on an LGA 1155 board with a Sandy or Ivy i5/i7, I'd jump at it. Ivy Bridge i7 CPUs, in particular, have aged well.

Op what's your overall budget for each thing? The system is bottlenecked pretty evenly every where, so upgrading won't yield you much. 

I would honestly start with the CPU, then the ram, then the GPU. 

Also where are you located?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

You can't do much with that PC.  If you really want to make that PC run fast, just downgrade Windows 7 ( 32-Bit) and it will run much faster, and make sure you have SSD hard drive

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

55 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Q6600. Much cheaper than a Q9650, and you can overclock it to 3.0GHz with a couple small strips of electric tape. Using proper overclocking on a board, you can probably get it higher than that. A GTX 1050 Ti is the absolute highest end card I would consider with a Q6600, although if you can snag an RX 470 or RX 570, you can downclock it a bit, undervolt it some and lock your framerates at 60 to minimize the effects of a GPU that's too powerful for the CPU and have a better GPU for down the line.

If you do, at some point, find a deal on an LGA 1155 board with a Sandy or Ivy i5/i7, I'd jump at it. Ivy Bridge i7 CPUs, in particular, have aged well.

I like the idea with the Q6600, so thanks for that much appreciated, ❤️

For the new mobo I will definetly look into it, but for now Im on a budget, but really thanks for the info, I think I will go for the Q6600 for now, Many Thanks, Dijon :)

53 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

You can't do much with that PC.  If you really want to make that PC run fast, just downgrade Windows 7 ( 32-Bit) and it will run much faster, and make sure you have SSD hard drive

Ah problem with that is, for gaming I need 64 bit

1 hour ago, Emanbaird said:

Op what's your overall budget for each thing? The system is bottlenecked pretty evenly every where, so upgrading won't yield you much. 

I would honestly start with the CPU, then the ram, then the GPU. 

Also where are you located?

Well Im based in the UK, my budget for the new components (I know it is not alot but I have waited a while and I would like to finally upgrade to play games like Fortnite, GTA V at least at 720p, Medium settings and get a stable 30 FPS)is £120/$156. Max I could possibly go is £140/$182.

Thanks for the reply though, ❤️

That CPU is not designed for what you want to do.   That CPU is over 12 years old.

It's like buying a CPU that was designed for America Online 4.0 and today AOL 9.0 is current and not designed for it.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

32 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

That CPU is not designed for what you want to do.   That CPU is over 12 years old.

It's like buying a CPU that was designed for America Online 4.0 and today AOL 9.0 is current and not designed for it.

Which one? The Q6600? Thats true but for minimum requriments, GTAV asks you for at least a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. So I guess its good enough for me.

2 hours ago, THraShArD said:

Where does this "32-bit Windows is faster" stuff come from? I've never seen 32-bit Windows as faster or slower than 64-bit. The only difference is in the memory requirements. 32-bit usually requires a bit less, but that's not an issue here. The 4GB installed is well above the minimums for W7. If anything, a downgrade to 32-bit would be counterproductive, because it would put a hard 4GB cap on RAM right before the OP bumps up to 8. Please don't suggest people step back to an old, vulnerable, badly-supported architecture. The only reason to run 32-bit Windows today is a 32-bit CPU, and if you're running a 32-bit CPU in your main PC today, you need a new PC.

55 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Which one? The Q6600? Thats true but for minimum requriments, GTAV asks you for at least a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. So I guess its good enough for me.

You will be limited in GTA by a Q6600, no question, but an E6750 would be lucky to even run the game. Once the Sandy or Ivy chip (or later generation--you never know when you'll find a deal) is in the cards, life is going to be much better.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Where does this "32-bit Windows is faster" stuff come from? I've never seen 32-bit Windows as faster or slower than 64-bit. The only difference is in the memory requirements. 32-bit usually requires a bit less, but that's not an issue here. The 4GB installed is well above the minimums for W7. If anything, a downgrade to 32-bit would be counterproductive, because it would put a hard 4GB cap on RAM right before the OP bumps up to 8. Please don't suggest people step back to an old, vulnerable, badly-supported architecture. The only reason to run 32-bit Windows today is a 32-bit CPU, and if you're running a 32-bit CPU in your main PC today, you need a new PC.

You will be limited in GTA by a Q6600, no question, but an E6750 would be lucky to even run the game. Once the Sandy or Ivy chip (or later generation--you never know when you'll find a deal) is in the cards, life is going to be much better.

What do you think of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400? Its only £4 extra from the Q6600 and I believe its a bit more powerful. Another problem is that I searched up power consumptions and the E6750 only takes 65W TDW, while the other two, Q9400 and the Q6600 take 95W TDP, what is TDP? Will my PSU support the extra 30?