Low profile HTPC case with lots of disks recomendation?

Thingomy

Can anyone recomend a good slim case that wont look out of place in a home theatre environment in a slot that may have been designed for a VCR etc.

A slim case for low profile pci-e cards and a micro atx motherboard would be ideal. Only I need to be able to take 5x 3.5 disks (ideally 6). I suppose for future expansion I should have room for an optical drive too.

For the last 2 years I've been using the insert out of the motherboard box, on a dining chair, but I'd like the chair back.

I'd be tempted to do a sleeper pc in a really old school vcr, or even beter, a betamax machine, but I really can't be bothered.

Something like the norco rpc-250 might work? Micro atx, 2 front 5.25" bays for an odd, up to 6 3.5" bays, and short form pci slots all present.

It's a 2u short depth rackmount chassis.... only problem is that in the rackmount world 'short depth' is still like 2 feet long. Personally my approach was to put the compute in a NUC and the storage in a synology.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

That is indeed a good find, but the depth would be prohibitive, and i'm not sure that a case capable of taking a CEB motherboard is ideal. It is however the closest i've seen.

Separating storage and compute is a good plan, but the machine pulls double duty as a zfs based file server and HTPC, unfortunately i'm already comitted as far as that is concerned.

Perhapse using a basic htpc case, and either building or buying an esata solution for 4 x 3.5 disks could work...

On 2/17/2019 at 6:41 PM, Thingomy said:

That is indeed a good find, but the depth would be prohibitive, and i'm not sure that a case capable of taking a CEB motherboard is ideal. It is however the closest i've seen.

Separating storage and compute is a good plan, but the machine pulls double duty as a zfs based file server and HTPC, unfortunately i'm already comitted as far as that is concerned.

Perhapse using a basic htpc case, and either building or buying an esata solution for 4 x 3.5 disks could work...

What about a NAS? 

Everything I'm finding is either mITX or not anywhere near "low profile"

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-DS380B/dp/B00IAELTAI?th=1

If oyu could relocate the 3.5" drives to an external enclosure, you can get pretty low profile mATX HTPC cases

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fsw323/silverstone-case-ml04b

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25