Is it dangerous to show my face on YouTube if I am under 18?

FFS Techer
15 hours ago, FFS Techer said:

My mom doesn't want me to make videos that have my face in them, which takes away most expressions from videos. I respect her choice, but just curious, is it actually dangerous? I think she is worried I will have people stalking me and following me in public or something.

Your mother is wise, I got harrassment online that is why I never show my face, anyone could pin you for a mugger. It bears no advantage and it places you at risk. People are so offended at my posts that they started to phone my house telephone.

2 minutes ago, drinklime said:

Your mother is wise, I got harrassment online that is why I never show my face, anyone could pin you for a mugger. It bears no advantage and it places you at risk. People are so offended at my posts that they started to phone my house telephone.

Isn't your face in your PFP though?

I just said I don't post my face online and why would I fill my pockets with silverware at a restaurant?

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

My tiddly bits are on the internet and it hasn't bit me in the ass yet! 

Being under 18 I think shes just scared of the boogie man (what she doesn't understand)

Tell her that Stoplight camera hooked up to the Echelon system has already got your face in many many databases...everytime you go under those lights!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

"tiddly bits" thanks for making me smile  :)

18 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I haven't put my face on the internet, yet. 

Now i'm sure with enough googling you could find my face, but it's not easily available on social media.

I choose to keep my face off the internet myself, but I am not trying to create anything that would require my face anyway.

image.thumb.png.44c34c004ab6ef747082876c2b968ad0.pngfound a pic of you half nude

?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Hmmmm... Of course not?

Unless you get super famous (ps: you wont) or if you are doing ilegal stuff, its fine. Also, the same goes for ppl over 18, so age it definetely not the problem there.

Edit: what I mean by ofc not is that well, you CAN get on trouble but thats valid flr literally any human being showing up their face. Just like you are more likely to get hit by a car if you go outside and dont spend your whole life indoors.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, drinklime said:

Oh jeez...I hope you called your nephew...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Oh jeez...I hope you called your nephew...

Hey, me and you should run. We are in Florida, and so is he. So the fbi won’t even have to leave state to get us 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I'd avoid it if you can. No reason to show it; However, if anything, I'd be more worried about leaking your location.

I've worked with several youtubers / streamers helping them remove content that leaks their address or general location. It's not a problem until people start making the threat of swatting and showing up to your house.

It's not hard to get a person's address from a video (and easier in the states).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

There's thousands of people who show their faces out there, but you only hear about the ChrisChans.

I wouldn't personally.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Most likely not. It about as dangerous than doing something in public overall. You don't need to associate name with your face. Or you can just use first name. Eventually people will find out who you are, but they would do same if you were the guy who serves bad coffee.

Legally there isn't anything there. Only if you were under 13, according to US laws you need written permission from your parent to become creator. Or YT has all the rights ban you out.

To answer all questions. The funny thing is my mom would be perfectly fine if I was a singer or movie actor or something, just not focusing on YouTube. For example, watch some of your favorite YouTubers. Imagine someone like Chills or Jerry Rig Everything. They don't need to show their face. YouTubers like Ninja, PewDiePie, MrBeast, Linus, unbox therapy, and many more, would need to or people would stop watching. I know if I searched enough in the public internet for a few weeks I may find my face somewhere, (I know one place) where I am in the background or in some security footage. The thing is I want to make entertaining stuff, not just something that gets the message to viewers.

3 hours ago, Beerbuddy said:

It's no more dangerous than someone over 18 streaming... It's relatively safe as long as you practice good streaming habits.  Bad things can happen if you accidentally doxx yourself.  Hackers on the internet are not people you want on your bad side..

Also I would record on a green screen or a wall or desk. Not vlogging or something. Maybe I just wait until I am older? Because I know kids under 16 typically get trolled and made fun of a lot.

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:

I'd avoid it if you can. No reason to show it; However, if anything, I'd be more worried about leaking your location.

I've worked with several youtubers / streamers helping them remove content that leaks their address or general location. It's not a problem until people start making the threat of swatting and showing up to your house.

It's not hard to get a person's address from a video (and easier in the states).

I would record at my desk wall or green screen