Is 520w for a rtx 2070 enough?

Daristed

(Im new here so im sorry if this is not the right place for this question)

So i was thinking about upgrading my gtx 1070 to an rtx 2070 for a bump up in resolution (from 1080p to 1440p) while mantaining 60fps.

The problem is that im a total noob in this tecky stuff :/

So...

I have a Seasonic S12II 520W 80+ bronze for a little bit more than a year now. Ive heard that its kinda old but also a good one.

(I have a i5 8400 if its important info)

Is that risky? Do you guys think that i can upgrade safely? I know that the recomended wattage its 550w but im not planning in overclocking anything.

I could buy a better PSU but as i said im a noob at this stuff so ill have to take my PC to a professional to do that and in that case i would prefer to do that when i eventually decide to upgrade my CPU and do both things in one go to avoid unnecessary trips.

Oh. And i know that some gpus already come with some type of OC. Do i have to pay attention to that?

Yeah it'll be fine. I would recommend a better PSU (mabye gold) however since you'll have to pay both for the new PSU and labour, I'd just leave it.

Yep, it'll be fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oh. I see. I knew that it was old but the guy who helped me pick the parts said that it was ok.

Ill keep that in mind.

It’s a massively overrated power supply. It’s low end nowadays.

It regulates it’s 5V and 12V rail together. A decade ago that would be fine. But with modern computers, those rails are never in balance load, leading to poor voltage regulation in these PSUs.

Poor voltage regulation leads to reduced hardware lifespan and higher chances of system crashes.

This also means you can’t use the C6 and C7 sleep states, as they require a load your PSU isn’t capable of delivering stably. I suggest you disable those sleepstates.

The protections in the S12ii are definitely lacking. Protections should save the PSU / components in case of a fault. The fan dying or a fan blockage would kill the psu without Over Temperature Protection.

The combination of lacking OCP and UVP on the 12v rail mean some it won’t detect to some shorts in a system. Also, with some age, your power supply may be delivering out of spec voltages to your system (eg. 11V), and not shut down to protect your parts.

Wattage wise it’s fine for your upgrade. Be sure to disable those sleep states. Don’t be too surprised if you encounter random shutdowns related to the PSU.

My own experience and opinion on the S12II.

In the 2 years I've owned it I have never experienced any random shutdowns/crashes/weirdness. I do know its an older design and I'm possibly risking overall life span of my components, but if it was a genuine issue Seasonic would have issued a recall or even a warning statement. Nothing from them, and nothing in my own experiences means my own opinion is that of atleast okay-ness.

Will I be buying a new one ASAP? Yes. I want cablemod cables and they don't make them for the S12 II.

Should anybody else buy one? Probably not, if the internet is to be believed about what is mentioned above.

Do I regret buying mine? Not a bit.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I do know its an older design and I'm possibly risking overall life span of my components, but if it was a genuine issue Seasonic would have issued a recall or even a warning statement. Nothing from them, and nothing in my own experiences means my own opinion is that of atleast okay-ness.

No they wouldn't. If they even cared they would have stopped selling it a long time ago.

And Seasonic is not alone in selling old crap, all manufacturers do that more or less. And in the most cases there won't be a problem as most systems even with a higher end GPU/CPU never come close to taxing the max wattage over a prolonged time-line. Gaming is rarely using a CPU/GPU to the fullest most of the time, if ever in the most cases. 

But start folding or transcoding videos 24/7 that are loading both CPU and GPU:s (or run CPU/GPU benchmarks / synthetic workloads 24/7) and there would be a problem to talk about with failing PSU:s that are taking hardware with it in its fall.....

26 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

but if it was a genuine issue Seasonic would have issued a recall or even a warning statement.

They understand exactly the problem. They made it like that on purpose, to reduce cost. 

They didn't update the series for years because fanboys still buy it. It makes them money.

Now they're realising people are catching on that those PSU's are way overpriced in modern competition, which is why they're releasing the S12III (three i's) series. 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16373

There are still better options though.

I also never had a problem with mine.

I do have my PC connected to a UPS so maybe that helps with spikes and stuff like that?

Anyways, if you guys have some recomendations for some good PSUs ill gladly take those into account when upgrading.

29 minutes ago, Daristed said:

I also never had a problem with mine.

I do have my PC connected to a UPS so maybe that helps with spikes and stuff like that?

Anyways, if you guys have some recomendations for some good PSUs ill gladly take those into account when upgrading.

Corsair 550W RM550x

Your PSU is fine though, RMx just a recommendation if you plan on upgrading.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

@Mattias Edeslatt I do not much more than game on my system, nor is it very taxing at at overclocked i5-8600k and RX580. Im sure if I were to spend the time finding failure rate statistics for my PSU I would see it is greater than that of a newer PSU. I have no issue admitting the fact that its not a good PSU in 2019, nor was it one in 2017 when I bought mine. But it was the best for me because I got it at an incredibly great deal for a fully modular 620W PSU.

@RexperIm not sure how you know they know the problem, unless you happen to work for Seasonic or know somebody in-the-in. Not saying its a good PSU, not saying it's a bad one; but claiming "They know" because they're refreshing an old product line is kind of short sighted. Also, im not sure if you're insinuating im a Seasonic fanboy because I purchased their product, nice try if you are... Fanboyisim is a stupid belief/practice and I feel bad for those who follow it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

31 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

@RexperIm not sure how you know they know the problem, unless you happen to work for Seasonic or know somebody in-the-in. Not saying its a good PSU, not saying it's a bad one; but claiming "They know" because they're refreshing an old product line is kind of short sighted. Also, im not sure if you're insinuating im a Seasonic fanboy because I purchased their product, nice try if you are... Fanboyisim is a stupid belief/practice and I feel bad for those who follow it.

bd6.png

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

-snip-

Not sure what you're facepalming for. As you can read from my response to Mattias I'm not at all trying to defend the 12II. I was just telling Rexper that his reasoning had no logic behind it other than assumptions.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Rexper said:

They didn't update the series for years because people still buy it. It makes them money.

Yeah, Seasonic said as much in the Jonnyguru Forum at one time.

IIRC Seasonic Rep even quoted me...

He said that they don't have a need for that as the S12II still sell well...

4 hours ago, Rexper said:

Now they're realising people are catching on that those PSU's are way overpriced in modern competition, which is why they're releasing the S12III (three i's) series. 

They must really hate me as I might be the reason that we see this...

Well, all it needs is one persistant person at the right place...

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Im sure if I were to spend the time finding failure rate statistics for my PSU I would see it is greater than that of a newer PSU.

Its not about that. And there are people claiming that the failure rate of Seasonic is rather high.

Its about the PSU beeing shit, having bad voltage regulation wich means that your components might not live as long as they would with a good quality PSU.

And also if there is "the right" kind of fault, you have a fire inside your Case as OCP is not there and on 12V not even UVP...

But it was the best for me because I got it at an incredibly great deal for a fully modular 620W PSU.

Oh yeah? Is a COrsair VS650 in fully modular a good deal in your oppionion?
A cooler Master Master Watt Lite??

Be quiet System Power (U)9 might be, barely...

But the rest are not.

And even those are better than S12II-Bronze because they have UVP on 12V and OCP.

Im not sure how you know they know the problem, unless you happen to work for Seasonic or know somebody in-the-in.

Its not a Problem, its a design choice!

BIG Difference that is!

Not saying its a good PSU, not saying it's a bad one; but claiming "They know"

They know because we told them in another Forum. ANd we flame them for that.

And also they build that thing.

Are you really claiming that the manufacturer of the PSU doesn't know about the advantages, disadvantages of the design and the Problems?

äh...

What we're not talking about, although we should, is the fan speed of the S12II Bronze series!

Wich is redicoulously high for them at 2000rpm at medium load.

And that "we build them for industry" don't count for me. I don't buy that shit.

5 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

No they wouldn't. If they even cared they would have stopped selling it a long time ago.

...or replaced it with something worthwile like the be quiet System Power 9 and U9, wich is far superior than the Seasonic, though the fan could be better.

5 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

And Seasonic is not alone in selling old crap, all manufacturers do that more or less.

That might be true BUT the others don't sell this group regulated shit at THIS Price point!

The bigger Competition in that price area (Corsair, be quiet, partially Cooler Master) has DC-DC models for that price.

Corsair VS550 is 42€

S12II-Bronze is 51€, M12-II EVO is 57€

The good ones:
Bitfenix Formula 450W is 65€

be quiet Pure Power is 60€

Xilence Performance A+ is 40€

Xilence Performance X is 54€

be quiet System Power 9 is 48€

So you're paying _MORE_ for a shittier PSU!

And for what?? You don't get good protection, the PSU is freaking loud at medium loads. There really isn't anything good about it...

Another Comparisation:
Cooler Master Master Watt is 56€

Cooler Master Master Watt Lite is 37€

All of those are better...

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I'm not at all trying to defend the 12II.

Then stop defending the S12II!
As long as people do that, people will buy the worst PSU in this price range, when they can get something awesome from a a different manufacturer for the same money!

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I was just telling Rexper that his reasoning had no logic behind it other than assumptions.

And what makes you believe you know more about PSU than Rexper does?!

Since you wanted proof, here:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/ <- XFX TS (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic S12II-Bronze variant.

https://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/350-watt-netzteil-test-lc-power-xilence-sea-sonic-super-flower/3/

A "real" Seasonic and it can't beat the cheap shit from other manufacturers...

A 60€ PSU dies and is shittier than a 30€ PSU (Xilence Performance C) .Think about THAT!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

m not sure how you know they know the problem, unless you happen to work for Seasonic or know somebody in-the-in. 

Where do we start? Direct quotes from Seasonic rep? The fact that it’s one of the first design decisions a manufacturer makes - will this PSU use group regulation or DC-DC converters? Countless reviews for almost a decade?

And fanboyisim is the reason the S12ii series was still living. People believed those power supplies were great, for no apparent reason, and bought them.

Or people recommended them for BS, made-points. Why would the do that? Probably can’t admit they also bought a low quality PSU.

19 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

incredibly great deal for a fully modular 620W PSU.

If you’re fine with it’s low electrical performance - therefore reduced lifespan, and lack of safety in your computer, that’s fine.

20 hours ago, Daristed said:

That depends on your budget and what’s available at the time.

An overall great single-GPU PSU includes the Corsair RMx.