RTX 2070 Waterblock compatibility

daskleee

I have looked at some teardowns and PCB analyses, and I've noticed that some of the RTX 2070 cards basically use the RTX 2080 reference/Founders Edition PCB. Are they therefore also compatible with RTX 2080 Waterblocks? I can't find any obvious differences, and some user also claims he put a RTX 2080 waterblock on a MSI RTX 2070 Aero (on the EKWB compatibility list), but on the other hand no one officially lists the blocks/cards as compatible.

For example in the bottom is the EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra PCB and the RTX 2080 Founders Edition PCB, they look exactly the same, but on EVGAs website they don't list the 2070 XC Cards as compatible with their Hydro Copper Waterblocks, and I don't see any reason for them not to, as it would only give them more sales.

This is my first post and I'm not a native speaker so please be nice

daskleee

EVGA-RTX2070-XCUltra-09_85AD775997B44BA5AC01B5469CD8C26D.jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Founders-Edition,-8GB-GDDR6-pcb.jpg

I see no obvious differences after looking at it for a good while. That would be a good thing to call EKWB about.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I dug some more and found two more things:

There's a listing in the GPU cofigurator on the website of alphacool for a waterblock for the RTX 2070 Founders Edition, and an article announcing that alphacool is working on waterblocks for RTX 2070, 2080 and 2080 ti (so from before those were even made).

I'm wondering how that block would work though with the hanging power connector on the RTX 2070 Founders Edition?

The situation with the power connector might be the reason why most manufacturers shy away from making a waterblock for the reference design RTX 2070, as the Founders Edition would either require some soldering or some funky solution, which probably wouldn't be compatible with the other reference PCBs, so you couldn't satisfy everyone with one block.

Secondly I found a picture of the PCB for the Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce, and there may be some compatibility issues with the different fan connectors on that card, even though most of the PCB looks identical as well. From what I've seen Zotac cards might be incompatible, so that leaves the MSI Aero (based on EKWB), EVGA XC variants (based on PCB above), Gigabyte Windforce & Gaming (based on PCB below, but there might be some clearance problems) and the Asus cards which are pretty much unconfirmedas i can't find PCB pictures anywhere.

daskleee

Gigabyte-RTX2070-WindForce-09_3AA4FA7AFB94477CB23CCA55402B071C.jpg

I've tried to make a list speculating what is compatible and what isn't for other people, so here we go:

KFA2 Ex: looks like it is not compatible, the VRM looks very different when you look at shots from the front side of the card

KFA2 OC: In all the pictures not showing the NVlink connector you can actually see Nvidia branding on the bottom of the PCB, probably because they use the same pictures as with the 2080 so they could very well be compatible

KFA2 (blower style): same thing as the one above, mostly same pictures as the 2080 and Nvidia branding on the bottom of the PCB in the pictures

INNO3D X2 OC: Most pictures look good, one of them has a Nvidia branding at the bottom of the PCB. One shows the card mostly disassembled, there you can see the VRM and it looks different than the 2080 FE, but the power connectors look different in the same shot so it might be an incorrectly rendered picture

Gigabyte Gaming OC: PCB looks the same as the Windforce versions

Gainward Phoenix GS: from what one can see it has a very similar PCB to the Gigabyte Windforce with the power connectors moved together, a notch in the PCB above them and the area below the power connectors way more busy and the backside of the PCB looking very cramped

Palit Dual: The backside of the PCB looks exactly like the one on the Gainward Phoenic GS

Palit GamingPro OC: Same as the Palit Dual

Zotac Gaming AMP: Also looks like the Gigabyte Windforce, but you cant see the backside of the PCB

Zotac Gaming AMP Extreme (Core): Same as the AMP

Gainward Phantom GLH: The PCB is a bit taller than reference PCB, so probably not compatible

Palit Jetstream: Also has a taller PCB

Palit Gamerock: Also has a taller PCB

INNO3D iCHILL X3 Jekyll: looks like the other cards with the taller PCB, in one shot it has an Nvidia branding on the bottom which is pretty confusing

From the looks of it the taller PCB is only used for an additional fan connector, and no VRM components including the power connectors are taller, so these cards might actually still be compatible

Asus Dual: The PCB looks very much like the reference design but you cant see much from the pictures

Asus Turbo: Same as the Dual

EVGA XC: Looks very much compatible with any 2080 waterblock

MSI Aero: Compatible if you can trust the user listing on EKWB

Incompatible: ASUS ROG Strix, EVGA FTW3, Gainward Phoenix GS V1, Gainward Phoenix V1, Gainward (dual fan with not title), Gigabyte Mini Itx, Gigabyte Aorus, INNO3D Twin X2, MSI Ventus, MSI Aero ITX, MSI Armor, MSI Gaming, Palit Dual V1, PNY XLR8, PNY Blower Design, Zotac Gaming Mini, Zotac Gaming Blower, Nvidia Founders Edition (just for the sake of completeness)

• 3 months later...

I didn't try yet, since I don't get my 2070. But in EVGA waterblock have some 2070 in it's compatiblity list. I contact with EVGA support and ask they for site info update. 

P90501-123748.jpg

• 1 month later...

The XC Ultra, Gaming, and Black 2070 from EVGA works with founders 2080 blocks according to EKs compatibility list.

• 9 months later...

Hi, have you finally tried a block with your rtx 2070 Windforce? I have the same card ans I am struggling to fin a block. 

Thanks.