Did I erase my hdds correctly?

MojangYang
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
7 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

so I simply backed up the data from each partion, and deleted the partions one by one in disk management

That won't delete any data off the drive. It will still physically be located on the drive, however what you have done is delete the address book that tells the drive where the data is located on the disk so it simply doesn't know that it is there. It's possible and very easy to recover the data from the drives with software.

You need to overwrite the data to remove it. There's plenty of software options available to overwrite data on a drive as a means of securely erasing the drive without physically damaging the drive. You can use DBAN (though unplug any HDDs you don't want erased so you don't accidentally delete data off them) or even programs like Piriforms CCleaner have data erasers built in these days.

and reallocated all the monkey space into one single memory. 

What? Monkey space?

Spoiler

image.png.8fec5578c0cc3e12b64e7d36415cb384.png

Hi guys. I found multiple 350gb and 500gb hdds and want to erase, sell or reuse them.

so I simply backed up the data from each partion, and deleted the partions one by one in disk management,and reallocated all the monkey space into one single memory.

is all the data off the platter and overwritten or is it just deleted?

so I simply backed up the data from each partion, and deleted the partions one by one in disk management

That won't delete any data off the drive. It will still physically be located on the drive, however what you have done is delete the address book that tells the drive where the data is located on the disk so it simply doesn't know that it is there. It's possible and very easy to recover the data from the drives with software.

You need to overwrite the data to remove it. There's plenty of software options available to overwrite data on a drive as a means of securely erasing the drive without physically damaging the drive. You can use DBAN (though unplug any HDDs you don't want erased so you don't accidentally delete data off them) or even programs like Piriforms CCleaner have data erasers built in these days.

and reallocated all the monkey space into one single memory. 

What? Monkey space?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What? Monkey space?

Reveal hidden contents

Oh sorry stupid autocorrect I forgot to reread it

i was meant to say: reallocate all the space into one single partion

Just now, MojangYang said:

Oh sorry stupid autocorrect I forgot to reread it

i was meant to say: reallocate all the space into one single partion

that won't do it, you need to wipe the drive with zeros, use something like dban.