I'm not able to factory reset my windows 7 PC.

Mixcader

Hello all, recently I've gotten an old gaming PC for Christmas. I just got the chance yesterday to really get on and mess around with it and download steam and some games and all that. But after about my 4th or 5th install I noticed that I was extremely low on storage on the on-board hard drive, so naturally I asked my awesome nerd of a uncle to help me out. He went down into his nerd cave and came back up and handed me an external hard drive to see if it would help. but alas, it didn't. you see, the on-board hard drive only had a total of 238 GB of storage and the external hard drive my uncle gave me had 111 GB. But then, after i'd suffered through the extreme bottle neck of the download with the old external hard drive, (It was literally only writing at around 2 Mg a sec while my download was literally 100 mg) and used up all the storage on there, I came up with a brilliant plan, or so I thought at the time anyways. I thought to myself, why don't I just give the good ol' PC a good factory reset to clear out all the unwanted files that were left behind when I first received the system. so, I started my new journey by first opening up the control panel and looking at what she had to offer, (bear in mind, i'm only really used to windows 10, while the OS on this PC is windows 7) so after a swift click on system and security and then followed by a click on back-up and restore. I was then kindly greeted by a screen that said a windows backup hadn't been set up and that windows couldn't find a backup on the computer. Well, I thought to myself, That isn't really what i'm looking for anyways so I click on the hyperlink looking text below all that that said Recover system settings on your computer. Then, I read through the system restore description, it didn't really seem like what I wanted to do either, did they not just have a factory reset button back in the windows 7 days? Guess us people with windows 8 and above are pretty lucky. But all hope wasn't lost, for I saw another hyperlink looking text that read Advanced recovery methods, Oh, I thought to myself, that's where the factory reset option must be, don't want those old folks accidentally deleting their total of 2 GB of used storage. so with a hasty click I read what came up next. Use a system image that I created earlier to recover my computer, or reinstall windows, now at first I thought that that would be exactly what I wanted, but then I saw what was in parenthesis right next to it. requires windows installation disc. So knowing plain well that my uncle sure isn't going to have this "Installation disk" I tried the other option. to make a long story short, it didn't work, the only system images that were on the PC were ones from like today and yesterday. So after about another 30-60 mins later of digging through windows 7 stuff to see if there was anything else even resembling a factory reset button. Nope, nothing that I could find. So like any other rational person, I hopped on google to see if there were any forums or tutorials to help me. I did find one interesting lead through the start up menu and holding F8, but that didn't really work either. So, if you've made it this far, thank you, and if you have any ideas on how to help, i'll be on all night. thank you again.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

your main issue is mostly just lack of knowledge on how to reinstall windows and nothing really wrong with windows itself.

36 minutes ago, Mixcader said:

why don't I just give the good ol' PC a good factory reset to clear out all the unwanted files that were left behind when I first received the system

did you actually check and see if the games you were installing were the bulk of data on the machines hard drive? did you check how much space the drive had prior to you messing with it?

37 minutes ago, Mixcader said:

did they not just have a factory reset button back in the windows 7 days?

you normally do this outside the os using the factory reset options before the os loads if its a prebuilt machine

and or you reinstall windows outside the os as well

again this mostly comes down to a lack of knowledge in knowing that what you are attempting to do is done outside the os

a basic tutorial on how to install windows might be more along the line of what you are looking for

5 hours ago, Mixcader said:

Hello all, recently I've gotten an old gaming PC for Christmas. I just got the chance yesterday to really get on and mess around with it and download steam and some games and all that. But after about my 4th or 5th install I noticed that I was extremely low on storage on the on-board hard drive, so naturally I asked my awesome nerd of a uncle to help me out.

He went down into his nerd cave and came back up and handed me an external hard drive to see if it would help, but alas, it didn't. you see, the on-board hard drive only had a total of 238 GB of storage and the external hard drive my uncle gave me had 111 GB. But then, after i'd suffered through the extreme bottle neck of the download with the old external hard drive, (It was literally only writing at around 2 meg a sec while my download was literally 100 meg) and used up all the storage on there, I came up with a brilliant plan, or so I thought at the time anyways.

I thought to myself, why don't I just give the good ol' PC a good factory reset to clear out all the unwanted files that were left behind when I first received the system. so, I started my new journey by first opening up the control panel and looking at what she had to offer, (bear in mind, i'm only really used to windows 10, while the OS on this PC is windows 7) so after a swift click on system and security and then followed by a click on back-up and restore. I was then kindly greeted by a screen that said a windows backup hadn't been set up and that windows couldn't find a backup on the computer.

Well, I thought to myself, That isn't really what i'm looking for anyways so I click on the hyperlink looking text below all that that said Recover system settings on your computer. Then, I read through the system restore description, it didn't really seem like what I wanted to do either, did they not just have a factory reset button back in the windows 7 days? Guess us people with windows 8 and above are pretty lucky. But all hope wasn't lost, for I saw another hyperlink looking text that read Advanced recovery methods,

Oh, I thought to myself, that's where the factory reset option must be, don't want those old folks accidentally deleting their total of 2 GB of used storage. so with a hasty click I read what came up next. Use a system image that I created earlier to recover my computer, or reinstall windows, now at first I thought that that would be exactly what I wanted, but then I saw what was in parenthesis right next to it. (requires windows installation disc.) So knowing plain well that my uncle sure isn't going to have this "Installation disk" I tried the other option.

to make a long story short, it didn't work, the only system images that were on the PC were ones from like today and yesterday. So after about another 30-60 mins later of digging through windows 7 stuff to see if there was anything else even resembling a factory reset button. Nope, nothing that I could find. So like any other rational person, I hopped on google to see if there were any forums or tutorials to help me. I did find one interesting lead through the start up menu and holding F8, but that didn't really work either.

So, if you've made it this far, thank you, and if you have any ideas on how to help, i'll be on all night. thank you again.

clippy.png.3725d804b8c2d15c7d364afb9169fa51.png

FTFY -- it's much easier to digest if you use the enter or return key to create paragraphs. It also helps if you list the make & model of computer so we may be able to help get you to the recovery options for said computer. So.... what's the make and exact model number?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Windows 7 did not have a factory reset option.

What you can really do is reformat the disk, and reinstall Windows 7 (or another OS, like Windows 10) on it.

If you are doing to reinstall Windows, make sure you have the CD / Product Key.

By the way, you don't need to use the EXACT disk that came with that particular install of Windows 7.

For an example, if it has Windows 7 Home installed, you can use any Windows 7 Home disk.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>