VM for two windows for editing

Hello everyone,

I want to create an VM for editing photo editing purpose on windows desktop. i will be sharing with another person with separate monitor,keyboard,mouse.

My PC specification are-

CPU-i7-8700k

RAM-16gb 3000mhz

GRAPHIC CARD-1050ti 4gb gddr5

MOTHERBOARD-Asus z370f

AIO -cooler master 360 cooler

Storage -Nvme m.2 ssd250gb

PSU-650w

I am willing to upgrade hardware's if its necessary . Please i need a complete guide on how to setup and also any hardware upgrade will be fine to achieve native desktop speed on VM. (Will be using two windows 10)

Are you trying to achieve the same things that linus did with 7 gamers one cpu? Because you can't really do that with windows as the host operating system.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

HI,  Yes i am trying to run one more windows on VM so that other person can use it independently. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your better off with a multipoint solution than vms here. That wasy its all running under one os, but allows multiple users at once.

How is that to run windows independently ???? 

Just now, Djay404 said:

How is that to run windows independently ???? 

huh?

It will work like 2 systems. You can have 2+ users at once on one system, with their own keyboard mouse monitor and programs.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

huh?

It will work like 2 systems. You can have 2+ users at once on one system, with their own keyboard mouse monitor and programs.

Can you guide me on this in detail. As you might have read the purpose of mine already,wanna know the performance and how effective it is against Vms

1 minute ago, Djay404 said:

Can you guide me on this in detail. As you might have read the purpose of mine already,wanna know the performance and how effective it is against Vms

performance should be about the same as just doing it on the host.

You can't do vms with your current hardware setup.

There are a few ways to do multipoint. Microsoft has their solution in windows server, so you can install server 2019 and give it a shot.

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Because you can't really do that with windows as the host operating system

You can with Hyper-V, but setup is a bitch and 3/4.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your better off with a multipoint solution than vms here. That wasy its all running under one os, but allows multiple users at once.

I won't be using it for remote server type. Just two pcs sidebyside

Just now, Djay404 said:

I won't be using it for remote server type. Just two pcs sidebyside

thats exactly what multipoint does. Inorder to use this you need windows server for microsoft multipoint.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You can with Hyper-V, but setup is a bitch and 3/4.

But is it better than other VM software?

Just now, Djay404 said:

But is it better than other VM software?

If you have Win10 Pro 1709 or up, it is IMO.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats exactly what multipoint does. Inorder to use this you need windows server for microsoft multipoint.

Cool but i am not looking into servers, as my partner is also an editor i just wanna share my resource and work side by side with few wire connections

Just now, Djay404 said:

Cool but i am not looking into servers, as my partner is also an editor i just wanna share my resource and work side by side with few wire connections

This isn't a server, you need windows server to allow multiple people to use one pc at once.

But really, its normally much better to just get a second computer.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This isn't a server, you need windows server to allow multiple people to use one pc at once.

But really, its normally much better to just get a second computer.

hahahaha,,,,,i know just exploring options ,if its there cool,if not will buy a new one. I thought getting an ssd,ram,monitor,keyboard,mouse would be enough to run VM of my resource

Just now, Djay404 said:

hahahaha,,,,,i know just exploring options ,if its there cool,if not will buy a new one. I thought getting an ssd,ram,monitor,keyboard,mouse would be enough to run VM of my resource

you will need a second gpu to run vms here.

You also need to run linux and do a lot of sofware setup.

Getting a second pc is the better option here.

Yeah Second PC will be much easier and probably not worth spending the hours of settings up the whole VM Linux enviroment.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

Officially only KVM and Xen are capable of a direct IOMMU PCI passthrough in Linux hosts, it's not possible on Windows.
VMWare ESXI too but only with specific NVIDIA GPU's meant for virtualization in servers

You could try soft-emulated graphics cards like the VMware offer, or Hyper-V Remote-FX but vGPU are nothing comparable to a real GPU

EDIT: The only way to PCI-passthrough a GPU is possible on Linux with KVM or Xen, Hyper-V RemoteFX is possible only on limited GPU's, the same for ESXI (vGPU technology) 

You only have to rely on accelerated graphics, VMware has the best implementation

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

windows server 2016 and newer has gpu passthough with hyper-v

I edited the message, this requires the GPU to be compatible with some sort of technology called vGPU, which also involves PCI IOMMU passthrough, the Linux method is the only available for consumer GPU's, in fact it requires some workarounds like hiding the hypervisor to the host to make it work properly especially for NVIDIA cards, which afaik it's possible only with KVM in some cases, I don't know if Hyper-V has the same capabilities like passing a custom EFI bios which is required too in some cases

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I edited the message, this requires the GPU to be compatible with some sort of technology called vGPU, which also involves PCI IOMMU passthrough, the Linux method is the only available for consumer GPU's, in fact it requires some workarounds like hiding the hypervisor to the host to make it work properly especially for NVIDIA cards, which afaik it's possible only with KVM in some cases, I don't know if Hyper-V has the same capabilities like passing a custom EFI bios which is required too in some cases

you can do passthough of consumer gpus in windows server, just like with linux. It also supports vGPU aswell.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can do passthough of consumer gpus in windows server, just like with linux. It also supports vGPU aswell.

I can't find some info related to it that isn't the vGPU thing with ExpressFX even on the official microsoft documentation, if it does, it's not documented like KVM

Just now, Lukyp said:

I can't find some info related to it that isn't the vGPU thing with ExpressFX even on the official microsoft documentation, if it does, it's not documented like KVM

not as well documented or reccomended for home use, but people have done it.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

not as well documented or reccomended for home use, but people have done it.

I've just read somewhere it requires SR-IOV only available on server platforms, it's not the typical "IOMMU pci passthrough" you find on consumer boards, required for DDU (the Hyper-V pci physical virtualization thing) to work if I understood 

EDIT: DDU is Discrete Device Assignment 

Edited by Guest