Is internal sata to USB a thing?

Xanthe_2871

Hi. I have a laptop with a built in M.2 SSD. It's 500 GB and really all I need. It also came with a sata 2 TB HDD 2.5" but I removed it because I don't need that extra space and I like the peace of mind that there are 0 moving parts in my convertible laptop so I can go crazy flipping the screen and vibrating and whatnot.

My current mouse is a Logitech USB wireless mouse which does not support Bluetooth. I don't like having a tiny USB dongle hanging out the side of my laptop. I have that open sata bay and connection inside... I know a M.2 USB adaptation is at least possible, since it's basically a PCI in a smaller form factor, but is sata to USB a thing?

Is there any adapter I can use to accomplish this? Data and power are there, I'd think with the right driver this should be possible, but is there a product for this? I'd really appreciate some info!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

I looked around and a few posts on other forums all say that there is no adapter or solution.

I don't think you can use SATA Data cables to transfer anything but stored files from drives. It does make sense theoretically to be able to use SATA to transfer wireless receiver data but I don't think it will get the exact amount of power form a SATA power cable. And besides I don't think an OS will be able to access a USB device via SATA without some level of modding either software or hardware or both.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

Specs

I7 9700k /  Hyper 212 LED / Asus Prime Z390/ 16 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3600 MHZ  / Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC / NZXT H500i / Cooler Master V1200W /

Gear Headset G430 / Mic BM 800 / Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Ultimate / Mouse Razer Deathadder / Mousepad Razer Goliath Largest /

Monitor Setup 24U2414H 1080p 60hz x2 / S2417DG 2k 165 hz G-sync

Storage Samsung M2 970 EVO 500GB / WD Gold 1 TB 7200 RPM

21 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

Would that work for USB devices that aren't storage? I don't see anything on the page that says it would.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

13 minutes ago, vuki300 said:

Thank you, but that's not what I meant. In my post I explain that I want to convert the internal sata connection of my laptop into internal USB.

What you linked is an external hard drive kit. That's not at all what I meant. ?

9 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Thank you, but that's not what I meant. In my post I explain that I want to convert the internal sata connection of my laptop into internal USB.

What you linked is an external hard drive kit. That's not at all what I meant. ?

Sorry feel dumb now, i have a short attention span and i read that you dont want your hdd inside so i just assumed you need it from time to time to backup stuff I guess, sata f to usb f does not exist afaik, an idea comes to mind that you could probably use something like this https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-USBMBADAPT/dp/B000IV6S9S and rewire and glue inside 

edit: only if you have usb 2.0 on your laptop 

Edited by vuki300
adding information

Specs

I7 9700k /  Hyper 212 LED / Asus Prime Z390/ 16 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3600 MHZ  / Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC / NZXT H500i / Cooler Master V1200W /

Gear Headset G430 / Mic BM 800 / Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Ultimate / Mouse Razer Deathadder / Mousepad Razer Goliath Largest /

11 minutes ago, vuki300 said:

Sorry feel dumb now, i have a short attention span and i read that you dont want your hdd inside so i just assumed you need it from time to time to backup stuff I guess, sata f to usb f does not exist afaik, an idea comes to mind that you could probably use something like this https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header-USBMBADAPT/dp/B000IV6S9S and rewire and glue inside 

edit: only if you have usb 2.0 on your laptop 

DONT DO THIS Tried it in my shop just now, it was an old laptop but i completely fucked that port and now it doesnt work either way 

Specs