Alcohol is bad for acrylic. Was cleaning reservoir...

(please read the entire post before commenting silly, inciteful, or unintelligent things)

acrylic is a big family of polymers (thermoplastics or thermosets) derived from acrylic acid, methacrylic acid or other related compounds.

Alcohol, as a good solvent, has the ability to attack the surface of acrylics and dissolve the polymer chains.

Microfractures and eventually big cracks will eventually make it explode into pieces.

I bought some PVC from Lowes and an O-Ring from VIP for less than a dollar each. Had a friend with a lathe use a special bit to widen and thread the PVC.

Been running the loop for over an hour with zero leaks. At some point I am going to put in a small acrylic window so I can see the fluid levels.

500L/H. I actually have two pumps in my loop, one of them is a CPU block from an AiO.

I took out the flow thingie (piece of plastic under the copper block) so the big pump doesn't have to work as hard to move fluid past the weaker pump. If anything, the weaker pump is a failsafe that'll give me time to save my work and shut down before it overheats.

I'm just waiting for my actual CPU block but FedEx is taking their sweet fucking time.

IMG_20190116_152926.jpg

IMG_20190116_231941.jpg

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

yep use acrylic cleaner like plexus not alcohol

this is certainly one of those things you learn immediately from.

It's only a $35 combo off amazon but still

That's not pc water cooling specific tubing is it?

2 hours ago, fliblio said:

That's not pc water cooling specific tubing is it?

Read the very first sentence of Post #1.

The answer to your question is that it doesn't matter whether it's for PC cooling or toilets. It's fucking PVC. It's plastic. It doesn't matter.

common sense is all gone when it comes to pc....

those plastics ages and became brittle, thats all

41 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

common sense is all gone when it comes to pc....

those plastics ages and became brittle, thats all

it's brand new lmao

Owell lesson learned .. moving on :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 hours ago, RogueLizard said:

Acrylic is a big family of polymers (thermoplastics or thermosets)

Do you work in polymers?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

Do you work in polymers?

I work in a lot of different fields, I worked in plastics engineering while in college

10 hours ago, RogueLizard said:

Read the very first sentence of Post #1.

The answer to your question is that it doesn't matter whether it's for PC cooling or toilets. It's fucking PVC. It's plastic. It doesn't matter.

You mean you didn't buy those tubes, rated for a certain PSI, temperature and types of fluids to safely run things through from a PC specific website that labeled the tubes to make them 10x more expensive?  Shame - shamey shame shame! lol

All I see here is a DIY that works.  And if it works well, than it was 10x less than the cost of buying 1 new...so whose the smart guy now eh? (not talking to you OP talking to anyone who would think it matters lol)

TBH all this tells me, this post specifically I already knew about acrylics etc, is that I CAN turn my AIO into a open loop, I CAN reuse the radiators as long as I know the metal types etc and in the end...its just pieces put together.  I wondered why more people didn't do it this way.

Thank you!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 hours ago, Tristerin said:

You mean you didn't buy those tubes, rated for a certain PSI, temperature and types of fluids to safely run things through from a PC specific website that labeled the tubes to make them 10x more expensive

no, I got 10 feet from Lowes for $7. It's fiberglass reinforced clear vinyl I think, same shit used in most AiOs.

All I see here is a DIY that works.  And if it works well, than it was 10x less than the cost of buying 1 new...

yeah I got one of my 240mm rads from a $50 AiO off ebay and the other off amazon for $20. Combined those with the $35 pump from amazon and the $7 tubing

is that I CAN turn my AIO into a open loop, I CAN reuse the radiators as long as I know the metal types etc and in the end...its just pieces put together.  I wondered why more people didn't do it this way.

its easy tbh, and you can use basic antifreeze. Most AF is ethylene glycol/water premix, the EG is an anti corrosive that lets you mix metals. I am using 2 aluminum rads and a copper block atm. 75c on all 6 cores at 4.6ghz 1.4v.

E5 1650 v2 4.6Ghz

16GB RAM currently, will be 32 relatively soon

GTX 1070, will have 1070 SLI relatively soon

Just waiting for a real CPU block now.

ASUS P9X79 Pro Quad SLI

IMG_20190117_183318.jpg

13 hours ago, RogueLizard said:

its easy tbh, and you can use basic antifreeze. Most AF is ethylene glycol/water premix, the EG is an anti corrosive that lets you mix metals. I am using 2 aluminum rads and a copper block atm. 75c on all 6 cores at 4.6ghz 1.4v.

I appreciate the thought process, what are you using as a biocide?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

1 hour ago, MeDownYou said:

I appreciate the thought process, what are you using as a biocide?

antifreeze. ethylene glycol is extremely toxic. nothing could grow in there if it tried. but also a few drops of alcohol wont hurt

16 hours ago, RogueLizard said:

no, I got 10 feet from Lowes for $7. It's fiberglass reinforced clear vinyl I think, same shit used in most AiOs.

yeah I got one of my 240mm rads from a $50 AiO off ebay and the other off amazon for $20. Combined those with the $35 pump from amazon and the $7 tubing

This is what I needed to read.  Im just uncomfortable trying because I hadn't researched yet...this helps me completely understand (my biggest fears was mixing metals and solutions etc!). 

Question on your thoughts on this - with a powerful enough pump...isn't your AIO pump basically just a waterblock (say the pump went out in it) or why are you set on replacing the AIO pump?  It looks neat lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

This is what I needed to read.  Im just uncomfortable trying because I hadn't researched yet...this helps me completely understand (my biggest fears was mixing metals and solutions etc!). 

isn't your AIO pump basically just a waterblock (say the pump went out in it) or why are you set on replacing the AIO pump? 

It's still actively moving fluid, but the big pump overpowers it. Think of it more as a failsafe.

When I get the replacement pump in, I'm going to run both my "broken" one and the replacement for this reason. 

Question on your thoughts on this

I have an actual CPU block coming in on Friday, but I want to use my desktop while I wait so this is doing the job just fine. Lowered it to 4.5Ghz at 1.32v. Under 70c.

5 hours ago, RogueLizard said:

antifreeze. ethylene glycol is extremely toxic. nothing could grow in there if it tried. but also a few drops of alcohol wont hurt

It's highly toxic to us...not so highly toxic to molds etc. Toss a couple drops of iodine in it for good measure :)

(now that your res cracked and you replaced anyway)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

14 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

It's highly toxic to us...not so highly toxic to molds etc. Toss a couple drops of iodine in it for good measure

it's highly toxic to most living things. I have another custom loop I built running on a 4790K build and it's been running for 8 months without issue.

Sold this thing a whole back but I keep in touch with the new owner.

IMG_20180828_181723.jpg

IMG_20180828_181729.jpg

1 minute ago, RogueLizard said:

it's highly toxic to most living things. I have another custom loop I built running on a 4790K build and it's been running for 8 months without issue.

Sold this thing a whole back but I keep in touch with the new owner.

Take it or leave it, only trying to help :)

not worth the potential hassle of a moldy loop to save a few drops of iodine imo though

Glad you were lucky enough to not have this issue.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Using off the shelf tubing like that is a rookie mistake that leads to blocks getting clogged up from plasticizer leech.

And then shit like this:

Tells me you really need to keep quiet giving advice cause you don't know shiiiiit.  Go watch whole room watercooling and tell me how well using antifreeze did as a biocide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sIgBpe6Co

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Using off the shelf tubing like that is a rookie mistake that leads to blocks getting clogged up from plasticizer leech.

Okay. There are a few problems with how you express your opinion.

The first is assuming I'm a total idiot. This is literally the same tubing they use in your basic Asetek AiO. It's made by the same company.

The second is assuming I didn't already flush the tubing.

The third is alcohol, especially isopropyl, is extremely deadly to bacteria and growth. Adding a few drops into the reservoir during filling prevents any bacteria from even beginning to grow.

But yeah, let's completely ignore the 3 years I've been doing this and the 13 years of PC experience I have, and let some chesty teenager express his opinion on the Internet like he owns it.

If you haven't read already read the post:

On 1/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, Velcade said:

Do you work in polymers?

I worked in plastic engineering in college.

Go watch whole room watercooling and tell me how well using antifreeze did as a biocide.

I was rushing, and not paying attention when I was cleaning my reservoir. I know full well that alcohol is bad for acrylic and what grows in ethylene glycol and what doesn't.

The clog in Linus's loop was due to a local floral fungus, not anything that Linus had done. Since he put the loop in the fucking bathtub and had a giant plastic bin as a reservoir.

It's the middle of winter and there is nothing growing at all.

Maybe next time do some fucking research before you get schooled again.

biocide.

FURTHERMORE;

the antifreeze I use comes with a biocide already mixed in.

So yeah. Being a pedantic toad will get you nowhere.

Assuming I'm a rookie and an idiot is a huge mistake. I didn't ask for your judgement or your opinion, take your high and might attitude elsewhere.

Tells me you really need to keep quiet giving advice cause you don't know shiiiiit. 

If you're gonna act like an asshole, go away.

Go watch whole room watercooling and tell me how well using antifreeze did as a biocide.

that was a whole room with multiple people in an uncontrolled environment.

Again, go be high and mighty somewhere else. Judging by your post history you think you are better than everyone else. You aren't. But I am.