Gaming Motherboards

I usually buy the year befores motherboard , still good but cheaper since they have been replaced. What was last years best gaming motherboard? looking to put I9-9900K on it

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Do you mind limiting the overclock then?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Gaming got very little to do with motherboards.

It's the CPU and GPU for the most part, everything else just adds a little to none for the outcome.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you're wanting last gen motherboards, something like a ASUS ROG Strix Z370 could be good, but if you want cheaper a Gigabyte B360 GAMING would probably do the trick

2 hours ago, Arkianine said:

I usually buy the year befores motherboard , still good but cheaper since they have been replaced. What was last years best gaming motherboard? looking to put I9-9900K on it

1 hour ago, SZ1357 said:

If you're wanting last gen motherboards, something like a ASUS ROG Strix Z370 could be good, but if you want cheaper a Gigabyte B360 GAMING would probably do the trick

You need to be advised though, just pulling any 'ol Z300 series (or other 8th Gen Intel Motherboard chipset) motherboard and plopping that 9900k onto it isn't likely to boot.  If you're not going to buy the only chipset Intel released that supports the cpu out of the box (the Z390) than you either need a donor CPU (a basic 8th Gen CPU like an i3-8100) in order to get the computer to post and be able to update the BIOS to enable support for the 9900k OR .. some fancy and expensive motherboards (like Asus Formula) have utilities that allow updating the BIOS from a USB drive without a CPU present in the machine (or a host OS).

tl;dr - If you aren't really familiar with what BIOS is required out of the box for that CPU to work on a last-gen motherboard, it is MUCH simpler to just buy a Z390 and have your CPU work without any fussing with BIOS updates.

51 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

You need to be advised though, just pulling any 'ol Z300 series (or other 8th Gen Intel Motherboard chipset) motherboard and plopping that 9900k onto it isn't likely to boot.  If you're not going to buy the only chipset Intel released that supports the cpu out of the box (the Z390) than you either need a donor CPU (a basic 8th Gen CPU like an i3-8100) in order to get the computer to post and be able to update the BIOS to enable support for the 9900k OR .. some fancy and expensive motherboards (like Asus Formula) have utilities that allow updating the BIOS from a USB drive without a CPU present in the machine (or a host OS).

tl;dr - If you aren't really familiar with what BIOS is required out of the box for that CPU to work on a last-gen motherboard, it is MUCH simpler to just buy a Z390 and have your CPU work without any fussing with BIOS updates.

Intel always supports the last gen chipset with their latest CPUs, a good old BIOS update would do the trick. But yes, I agree with you, to the original poster: sometimes there are issues and it simply won't work. It is better just to get the new Z390 chipset as mentioned above, and is only around 30-40 dollars more most of the time.

1 hour ago, SZ1357 said:

Intel always supports the last gen chipset with their latest CPUs

Not true when they change sockets between a "latest CPU" and their last gen chipset.  You cannot take a 4th-Gen Haswell CPU and run it on a 3rd gen motherboard (Z77).
And due to alleged "Power-deliver pinout and design" issues Intel doesn't support running Coffee Lake (8th Gen) on a 7th Gen motherboard (Z170).

As long as it's a "refresh" and not a major socket, pinout, or design change, then sure.

11 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Not true when they change sockets between a "latest CPU" and their last gen chipset.  You cannot take a 4th-Gen Haswell CPU and run it on a 3rd gen motherboard (Z77).
And due to alleged "Power-deliver pinout and design" issues Intel doesn't support running Coffee Lake (8th Gen) on a 7th Gen motherboard (Z170).

As long as it's a "refresh" and not a major socket, pinout, or design change, then sure.

Ah OK, sorry I've only just gotten into tech like a couple years ago so the older tech I haven't really tied into. Thanks for that

20 hours ago, Arkianine said:

In terms of boiling this down to "what board should I buy" here is the board I would buy in your position (assuming you don't have specific motherboard requirements that you have yet to state):

$120 on Amazon, and appears to have adequate VRM cooling: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cHZFf7/gigabyte-z390-ud-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-ud

If you'd like to see what the "Gaming" tax looks like here's that motherboard's friend from Gigabyte with the word "Gaming" slapped on it for $20 more (there's an extra 2 usb ports on the back but meh): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CdPKHx/gigabyte-z390-gaming-x-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-gaming-x

edit: fixed spelling of "adequate"

Gaming or non gaming its all marketing.  See features and feedback and if it's good... just buy it :D

10 hours ago, SZ1357 said:

Ah OK, sorry I've only just gotten into tech like a couple years ago so the older tech I haven't really tied into. Thanks for that

For a while now intel generally requires a new motherboard every third generation.   This next generation should require a new motherboard, but who knows what the future will hold.

TLDR?

If youre wanting to run a 9900K just buy a Z390 board. any of them will work fine for 99% of people but they vary in quality and features so buy based on this. even the worse ones are still v.good

I have a I5 6500 chip now on a  gigabyte z170X gaming 3 with 32 g of ddr4 ram,msi 980 ti. Got some bonus money itching in my pocket.

3 minutes ago, Arkianine said:

I have a I5 6500 chip now on a  gigabyte z170X gaming 3 with 32 g of ddr4 ram,msi 980 ti. Got some bonus money itching in my pocket.

So you want to buy a > $500 CPU for frills?  Will you be doing anything not-gaming on it (like rendering)?  Because CPU gaming bottlenecks are unlikely unless you were running an RTX 2080 Ti on that rig.

Might I suggest other things one could buy with that money, like a nice high-refresh rate, FreeSync (soon to possibly support G-Sync) high quality gaming monitor?  Maybe widescreen or IPS.