A rebuttal to Linus' take on Nvidia introducing multiple RTX 2060 SKUs

wildside50
3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I know 1 other PC enthusiast - everyone else brings me their ish to work on.  Your first paragraph is about as insulting as saying they are DUMB - so lets call them PURPOSEFULLY IGNORANT.  You may think its okay to be purposefully ignorant - I think its DUMB to be purposefully ignorant. 

No you specifically said (see above):

This is simply a situation that has no reason to exist

Actually - a number shift up typically indicates a superior product if we are going to look at someone trying to make an indication off of that.  Not sure of any product where that's not the case off the top of my head.

Purposed Ignorance - You wont find me in that group.  You will find me hollering at them for being ignorant on purpose.

I NEVER said it was OK, I simply am stating THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE, people are who they are, I honestly can't comprehend why you are defending shady business practices that have no need to exist, it just boggles the mind.

and the SITUATION has no reason to exist because they could just use different model numbers.

Now i have to take another break from this thread so I don't get another warning.

38 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I NEVER said it was OK, I simply am stating THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE, people are who they are, I honestly can't comprehend why you are defending shady business practices that have no need to exist, it just boggles the mind.

and the SITUATION has no reason to exist because they could just use different model numbers.

Now i have to take another break from this thread so I don't get another warning.

We can agree to disagree.  Shady?  Im not sure what you mean.  Shady is selling a product with varying levels of hardware?...think about it.  You just want companies to either (Im guessing here) not have multiple products in varying price ranges with variables in the ability and components, or you want companies to do the work for you when it comes to purchasing and just tell you what you need?

Doesn't make sense to me.  I don't go to the tire store and ask the guy who is selling me tires which ones he thinks I should get - hes going to suggest the tires with the highest level of EBIT return to the company.  That's how this works.  Instead I am going to go in, informed (see also, properly educated) and purchase the set of tires that not only I need, but want and meets my desires at a price Im willing to pay.  OR I could let him tell me, and never know if I was had or not.  I have a choice here just like everyone else.

If we were having this conversation prior to the year 2000 I could see what you are saying, as finding that technical data would be a lot more harder.  Today?  Its literally right in front of you and can be accessed at the snap of fingers.  Its a choice to be ignorant when spending that kind of money.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

We can agree to disagree.  Shady?  Im not sure what you mean.  Shady is not selling a product with varying levels of hardware?...think about it.  You just want companies to either (Im guessing here) not have multiple products in varying price ranges with variables in the ability and components, or you want companies to do the work for you when it comes to purchasing and just tell you what you need?

NO I'M SAYING DON'T SELL 2 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS WITH 10% DIFFERENT PERFORMANCE UNDER THE SAME MODEL NUMBER, you can have 50 different model numbers if you feel you need that many, you just shouldn't give 2 products that vary greatly in performance the SAME MODEL NUMBER!

Imagine if you will you buy a Mustang because it has the 5.0 GT badging on it but then you "pop the hood" and it's got the V6 in it (and yes I know you would pop the hood on a car before buying, this is simply the best I can come up with right now as I'm trying to get my WORK done right now), I'm not saying the V6 model shouldn't exist i'm saying it should be clearly indicated by the trim level that it's the V6 and not have the V8 badging.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

NO I'M SAYING DON'T SELL 2 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS WITH 10% DIFFERENT PERFORMANCE UNDER THE SAME MODEL NUMBER, you can have 50 different model numbers if you feel you need that many, you just shouldn't give 2 products that vary greatly in performance the SAME MODEL NUMBER!

Imagine if you will you buy a Mustang because it has the 5.0 GT badging on it but then you "pop the hood" and it's got the V6 in it (and yes I know you would pop the hood on a car before buying, this is simply the best I can come up with right now as I'm trying to get my WORK done right now), I'm not saying the V6 model shouldn't exist i'm saying it should be clearly indicated by the trim level that it's the V6 and not have the V8 badging.

If it says GDDR6 and comes with GDDR5 than you can do all sorts of things to get your money back (and class action lawsuit if done intentionally).  But it wont say that.  It will say GDDR5.  The only thing will be the spec sheet that will be different, not the name.  Read the spec sheet, its that simple.  Or...don't.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

If it says GDDR6 and comes with GDDR5 than you can do all sorts of things to get your money back (and class action lawsuit if done intentionally).  But it wont say that.  It will say GDDR5.  The only thing will be the spec sheet that will be different, not the name.  Read the spec sheet, its that simple.  Or...don't.

and again my POINT, people should be able to tell from the model number, not from a spec sheet, they have no shortage of numbers to work with, there is no NEED to make this think so convoluted that people need to look at spec sheets and understand what different versions of GDDR does to performance, you could easily and with ZERO HASSLE just alter the damn model number, then it's clear to EVERYONE, why are you arguing to make things more complicated then they need to be, do you just want companies to take advantage of people? You can still have all the pricepoints and product segmentation, just make it freaking LOGICAL, don't sell two very different performing products with the same damn name.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

and again my POINT, people should be able to tell from the model number, not from a spec sheet, they have no shortage of numbers to work with, there is no NEED to make this think so convoluted that people need to look at spec sheets and understand what different versions of GDDR does to performance, you could easily and with ZERO HASSLE just alter the damn model number, then it's clear to EVERYONE, why are you arguing to make things more complicated then they need to be, do you just want companies to take advantage of people? You can still have all the pricepoints and product segmentation, just make it freaking LOGICAL, don't sell two very different performing products with the same damn name.

Im not asking to have companies take advantage of people - that's happening already every second of every day.  However, I own a couple businesses (my reference to my testimony of understanding what you are wanting and why I understand why they shouldn't nor would want to - if you don't believe me I don't care) and you are asking them to introduce cost.  More numbers, more unique boxes, more research for marketing, more...everything.  And their GPUs are not cheap enough as it is.  So what you are saying is to me, as someone who has to manage 3 unique businesses, is to do more.  Which hurts the EBIT (earnings before income and taxes) of each GPU sold if the price isn't increased to eat the cost associated.  And if you are vying for the spots of affordable GPUs - what you are saying makes no sense to me from a Business aspect either.  The consumer should educate themselves.

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Im not asking to have companies take advantage of people - that's happening already every second of every day.  However, I own a couple businesses (my reference to my testimony of understanding what you are wanting and why I understand why they shouldn't nor would want to - if you don't believe me I don't care) and you are asking them to introduce cost.  More numbers, more unique boxes, more research for marketing, more...everything.  And their GPUs are not cheap enough as it is.  So what you are saying is to me, as someone who has to manage 3 unique businesses, is to do more.  Which hurts the EBIT (earnings before income and taxes) of each GPU sold if the price isn't increased to eat the cost associated.  And if you are vying for the spots of affordable GPUs - what you are saying makes no sense to me from a Business aspect either.  The consumer should educate themselves.

so what you are saying is the boxes that do have a tiny little GDDR5 or GDDR6 aren't different boxes?

In all likely hood the boxes haven't been printed, spending 5 minutes changing a number in a box design isn't hard or costly enough to justify not doing (especially when it should have been done from day 1).

seriously I have to focus on work right now. I can't sit here constantly repeating myself.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

so what you are saying is the boxes that do have a tiny little GDDR5 or GDDR6 aren't different boxes?

In all likely hood the boxes haven't been printed, spending 5 minutes changing a number in a box design isn't hard or costly enough to justify not doing (especially when it should have been done from day 1).

seriously I have to focus on work right now. I can't sit here constantly repeating myself.

Thats what YOU think it takes.  It would seem simple to someone who doesn't understand the ins and outs as well - just like being a Shadetree PC guy that you are - this is Servers (to bring up a past analogy) and you just don't understand in my humble opinion.  We are good, Im not interested in arguing.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Thats what YOU think it takes.  It would seem simple to someone who doesn't understand the ins and outs as well - just like being a Shadetree PC guy that you are - this is Servers (to bring up a past analogy) and you just don't understand in my humble opinion.  We are good, Im not interested in arguing.

this is a yet to officially be announced product, they are still able to alter names easily. stop acting like it would cost a billion dollars, also they should have done this from the start.