I just received an email with spam/phishing attempt using LTT's name and logo.

s2Bj6wC

It looks like there's a phishing expedition using LTT's name. To mask the sender's identity, it looks like they used Google Photos so that it would be sent via an "@google.com" address, but their account has the LTT logo and name. It doesn't seem like something you guys would be doing, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any recent videos, and at no point does it link to any official LTT domains.

Based on the email address to which this was sent, I'm confident that they targeted me based on activity on YouTube (not the forums, Floatplane, Discord, Reddit, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of the email I received. I've censored my email address and the sender's address except the domain. The reason I'm censoring the sender's address is because I don't want users on the forum to try emailing the sender and inadvertently getting themselves targeted for future phishing attempts.

C8pOYok.png

Here's a screenshot of the Google Photos page. I've censored all avatars to protect users privacy. I've also censored the URL so that users here on the forum don't try to visit it:

PD8jncr.png

I'm not super active on YouTube, so maybe this is common and everyone is wise to it. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a thread just in case this is new and people need to be made aware of it so they don't fall for it.

@nicklmg @LinusTech This isnt the first thread that has popped up today about this scam. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This is definitely not LTT. If you see any bad english like "GiveAway!!!" then just don't risk it.

46 minutes ago, 1kv said:

This is definitely not LTT. If you see any bad english like "GiveAway!!!" then just don't risk it.

I'm sure the usual indian scammers are behind this, they like iPhones and Apple stuff in general

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I've reported the content as abusive to the registrar, host, bitly, and Google Safebrowsing. You should report the fake LTT account to Google.

To be clear, this is definitely a scam, and you should not click any of the links.

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis as i discussed, do make a sticky post about this so that people who might actually enter the personal info hoping to win one. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

15 hours ago, aezakmi said:

I'm sure the usual indian scammers are behind this, they like iPhones and Apple stuff in general

one - that's a generalisation,, we can't really be sure as to who might have been behind this, if this was a microsoft tech support call i'd have probably said it would be by thier voice alone,
Two - no we don't, no one uses apple products here except the rich who thinks it's somehow an elite status to have one, trust me no one likes their overpriced product here. everything about your statement was misinformed. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Oh so that's what it was!
I got a notification on my phone a few days ago about this, I was apparently added to some LTT group where a giveaway was announced... Don't even remember if it asked me if I wanted to accept the invite or if it automatically accepted it. It sounded fishy as hell to me so I left the group and ended up on the Google photo app... when I thought I was on the browser. Which sounded even more alarm bells to me.

(I did not get any actual email, just a notification on my phone)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

• 3 weeks later...

philly D did a better job at informing people not to click on those. as for LTT not everyone visits the forums to check the validity of the scam email. and its still not marked as spam by google and people are still receiving them. 

as a result of that the mail i got sent directly to spam folder 

image.png.c3d979de2b083cd2db675875adbe777e.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

34 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

philly D did a better job at informing people not to click on those. as for LTT not everyone visits the forums to check the validity of the scam email. and its still not marked as spam by google and people are still receiving them. 

Maybe because some of the staff are at CES but still, you're right, a tweet should be sent out just alerting their users like DeFranco did. Hopefully none of LTT's viewers have been burned by this scam.

13 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Maybe because some of the staff are at CES but still, you're right, a tweet should be sent out just alerting their users like DeFranco did. Hopefully none of LTT's viewers have been burned by this scam.

this was talked about as back as Dec 22nd, only the emails have been coming in batches. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

this was talked about as back as Dec 22nd, only the emails have been coming in batches. 

LTT has had some especially good few weeks with many of their videos trending. It's something to keep an eye on.