whats the best air purifier? difference between most top brands and budget?

kofman13

I live in new york city. While i dont have pets and dont really get hayfever or get bad allergies like everyone else during the spring and fall, i do have a lot of old rugs and in general am plagued with tons of dust especially in the winter when it gets dry. Can a fairly large air purifier actually suck in dust from around the room in the air and essentially save me from dusting as often? Ive been thinking of getting an air purifier.

A year ago i was shopping for a new vaccuum and while i considered many more budget friendly options, i ended up splurging on a Dyson V8 absolute and have been in love for the past year, best vacuum i owned. So first thing i looked into air purifiers from dyson because of the great experience i had with the vacuum. But the price for the 2016 model is $350 and the 2018 mode is almost $600 (filter is also $70 and lasts 6 months or 12 months if you use it only 12 hours a day). Meanwhile one of the most popular Purifiers on amazon such as the Germ Guardian is only $99.

I don't mind paying more money for the best as long as its actually going to be a huge performance boost relative to the price boost. But i dont know anything about air purifiers.

anyone want to chime in?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

I use the Holmes Small Room hepa-type for my bedroom. https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Small-3-Speed-Purifier-Operation/dp/B00EDTKEE6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544408418&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=air+purifier&refinements=p_89%3AHolmes&psc=1

Then I use an upright panasonic for my living room/kitchen. I can't remember if it's true hepa or not.

I've got two of each, and they work great for me with a dog. (and keeping my girlfriend happy because she can't handle even the slightest smell of dog)

But I couldn't tell you if they make a huge difference with dust.

For that I use a roomba 690.

I don't usually have the ac or a heater running. I keep the balcony door and kitchen window open, with only a bug screen, but dust isn't an issue.

If you think the dust is coming through a window, maybe try getting some kind of filter paper and tacking it to the screen?