Valve lowers their % of cut for 3rd-party games on Steam with new tiered fee system

Delicieuxz
19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Eh, I'd agree that there were fewer bugs in released games back then, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they didn't have bugs at all (sometimes even game breaking bugs).  Though it is pretty clear that developers and/or publishers believe the digital distribution concept gives them carte blanche to be lazy in their QA.

That's why I qualified with "most" and "99% of the time".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Pretending Activison/Bethesda wouldn't do the same thing given the chance

monopoly vs competition

there are no good guys is the lesson to learn. Bethesda was as shitty as EA and all the rest with Fallout 76.

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Only on LTT does  the news of a business reducing it's fees result in a debate about it being a good/moral/ethical/consumer oriented thing.

Whether this be true or not,  I think we can all agree that before electronic distribution,  most of the games were (99% of the time)  finished, the content was complete in it's entirety and the game was playable without bugs.

You never used the internet before?

XD

Some people are just opinionated. It's really difficult to change that. :(

22 hours ago, leadeater said:

I can see EA not, I bet they think they are big enough and have enough under the EA umbrella they can just have there own thing and be fine which is pretty much the case.

I think it might be more than just EA though but they haven't pushed as far.

Bethesda for example already made this choice with Fallout 76 which is an unpopular game that gets mixed opinions at best. But if they press forward with their store what are fans going to do, not get Elder Scrolls 6? They know that even if it is as buggy and simplified and shitty as 76 as long as they leave it offline and available to modders to fix tons of people will still play it and if it can only be bought on their own store front then that's going to boost them period.

Same goes for Rockstar for example: They already have their own store front but still appear on other stores but if they decide to eschew Steam what are people going to do, not buy GTA 6, the sequel to the most successful gaming franchise there is today? Of course they'll get it and if they can only get it on a separate store then that's what they'll do.

EDIT: In fact if you think about it this is how Steam started: It was a really unpopular move everybody hated (my self included) when Half Life 2 was released but people wanted to play Half Life 2 bad enough that they put up with all the rough edges and by being well before it's time it became what we have today but it was, at first, an unpopular and unwanted measure Valve forced on everybody by relying on a popular "bank" franchise to make sure people put up with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

EDIT: In fact if you think about it this is how Steam started

Well, the Steam store anyway.  Steam actually started out as a server browser/chat interface for CS & TF.  The launch of HL2 was when they introduced the store component.

11 hours ago, asus killer said:

monopoly vs competition

there are no good guys is the lesson to learn. Bethesda was as shitty as EA and all the rest with Fallout 76.

I don't get the hate for Fallout 76. Glitches are a hallmark of Bethesda games, Howard said it wouldn't be a traditional Fallout game and anybody realizing it came out 3 years after Fallout 4 should know that, and it has no pay to win

3 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I don't get the hate for Fallout 76. Glitches are a hallmark of Bethesda games, Howard said it wouldn't be a traditional Fallout game and anybody realizing it came out 3 years after Fallout 4 should know that, and it has no pay to win

I get what you’re saying, but I think people are upset because it’s so similar to Fallout 4 in the sense that it’s Fallout 4 online, yet there are still so many of the same bugs in the new game plus server issues. The community has already fixed a lot of these bugs but Bethesda won’t implement them officially. It seems like a low-effort cash grab that should have been delayed. 

Microstransactions are actually reasonable, purely cosmetic.

55 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I get what you’re saying, but I think people are upset because it’s so similar to Fallout 4 in the sense that it’s Fallout 4 online, yet there are still so many of the same bugs in the new game plus server issues. The community has already fixed a lot of these bugs but Bethesda won’t implement them officially. It seems like a low-effort cash grab that should have been delayed. 

Microstransactions are actually reasonable, purely cosmetic.

And it's pretty freaking easy to get boat loads of Atoms. Still, I've wanted an online Bethesda game since Morrowind, and even though Fallout 76 isn't exactly what I hoped for it's close enough for now and the game's still pretty fun for a one time payment. I wish there were NPCs but one step at a time...

46 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

And it's pretty freaking easy to get boat loads of Atoms. Still, I've wanted an online Bethesda game since Morrowind, and even though Fallout 76 isn't exactly what I hoped for it's close enough for now and the game's still pretty fun for a one time payment. I wish there were NPCs but one step at a time...

The potential is there. I prefer Fallout of Elder's Scroll but it's marketed more as a 'survival' game then what I'd like, I'd prefer a MMORPG, maybe something like Elders Scrolls Online but set in Fallout universe? That sounds more up my alley.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:05 AM, Thaldor said:

Personal experience: Valve does very good job with Steam and it's support. The couple of time I have needed support the response has been within the same day.

Now they do a good job on support. A few years ago it was terrible.

21 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Now they do a good job on support. A few years ago it was terrible.

Agreed, Valve were notorious for just awful customer service. A few years back when they introduced their refund system, they had a new focus on customer service, around the same time when Arkham Knight on PC launched...