Etron Announces EJ888 USB Power Delivery Controller, Enables USB Power Delivery From 10 Watts To 100 Watts

snowComet

Etron Technology announced a usb power delivery solution which can deliver from 10w to 100w over usb, which can largely reduce charging time. EJ888, Etron Technologys' latest USB Power Delivery (PD) Controller IC, is based on the USB-IF's USB Power Delivery Rev. 1.0 specification, USB-IF Battery Charging 1.2, and optimizes user mobility by allowing data transmission and power delivery to be combined on a single USB cable. Etron will demonstrate EJ888,along with its comprehensive series of USB 3.0 controller ICs, on CES 2014

"USB Power Delivery will help simplify the lives of consumers by providing a single-cable for data and power delivery up to 100 watts," said Jeff Ravencraft, USB-IF President & COO. "USB-IF member companies like Etron that incorporate USB PD into products and solutions further the efforts toward universal charging."

"For early market engagement, Etron's latest USB Power Delivery Controller IC EJ888 is based on the USB Power Delivery Rev. 1.0 specification. In addition, it supports USB-IF Battery Charging 1.2 for any portable device. The EJ888 Chip enables higher voltage and current in order to deliver power up to 100 watts, with 20V to the full 5A, via USB. Utilizing bi-directional power delivery, EJ188 automatically detects current sources and sinks, and performs a negotiated handshake via VBus. It allows users to access simple Plug-and-Charge via USB and meets the needs of USB PD developers," said Dr. Nicky Lu, Etron Technology Chairman & CEO.

http://www.techpowerup.com/196105/etron-announces-ej888-usb-power-delivery-controller.html

My Lumia wants that handshake stuff! 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Several time in my life, I have been USB sapped, from silly things, like grabbing with my hands a plugged camera that was downloading pictures into the PC, connecting cheapo USB sticks, etc.

Now with a much higher amperage, I don't know if I have a long life to live.

Several time in my life, I have been USB sapped, from silly things, like grabbing with my hands a plugged camera that was downloading pictures into the PC, connecting cheapo USB sticks, etc.

you get shocked from usb devices? what?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

unless your touching the inside of the usb connector, you shouldnt get shocked. even so, current isnt high enough to deliver a painful shock. 

This is good news for desktop users, but I doubt laptops will get this controller.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

you get shocked from usb devices? what?

I think he was dragging his feet across the carpet and mistook static electricity for the USB drive shocking him...

To get shocked there needs to be two points of contact, and a path between them for the electricity to travel.

This is a pretty cool thing to have as Asus' AI Charger doesn't really work on my Z87 board. Just need to get this implemented on boards but having 5A of USB power is a bit overkill imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think he was dragging his feet across the carpet and mistook static electricity for the USB drive shocking him...

To get shocked there needs to be two points of contact, and a path between them for the electricity to travel.

I was not wearing shoes, with my feet on the ground. Lifting the camera connected to the PC (usb). Touching the bottom of the camera, that has the contacts to plug it on a printer (old camera). got sapped :( happened a few times to me, because I kept forgetting

I was not wearing shoes, with my feet on the ground. Lifting the camera connected to the PC (usb). Touching the bottom of the camera, that has the contacts to plug it on a printer (old camera). got sapped :( happened a few times to me, because I kept forgetting

Yup, that is definitely not the USB port shocking you, that is either the camera itself or static electricity. The USB cable should be able to dissipate any energy the camera is creating, so it still falls back to most likely being static electricity.

Now-a-days (basically ever since we discovered that grounding is actually important in like the 80's), the only way to shock yourself on electronics is to be doing something you shouldn't be doing like sticking it in water, or opening it up when powered.