"Even at $7,000, the new Mac Pro is only 8% faster than an iMac"

TopWargamer

6Q9rksn.gif

http://bgr.com/2013/12/23/mac-pro-benchmarks-performance-tests/

“It should be no surprise that the new 8-core Mac Pro is the fastest Mac we’ve tested, but it was only 8 percent faster overall than our previous champ, a [configured to order] 2013 27-inch iMac,” Macworld’s James Galbraith wrote. “That custom system has a speedy quad-core 3.5GHz Core i7 processor, a 3TB Fusion Drive, 8GB of RAM, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M graphics.”

The iMac Galbraith describes, by the way, costs $2,699 — or $4,100 less than the new Mac Pro in question.

Laugh...laugh with me. Laugh at the overpriced stupidity. What else is there to even say about this?

COMIC SANS

trash can 0 (or rolling pin)

imac        1

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

iMac has Firepro? 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I guess you are paying for the Apple superiority again. But with that money you can build a workstation PC that trashes both of the Macs, just pointing it out. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

So an overpriced Mac Pro is barely faster then an overpriced iMac... Interesting :huh:

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

iMac has Firepro? 

No, consumer-class 780M

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

No, consumer-class 780M

Then how could this test be any accurate. 

Oh and that Xeon processor. They could have gotten away with an i7 4960x.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I loathe Apple.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

idk, maybe render times? or benchmark scores

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

OS X benchmarking is kind of crap anyways. Inconsistent runs, not enough core optimisations, etc. But I believe the Mac Pro will be quite faster in intended workloads, like rendering.

Personal Rig

I loathe Apple.

I too, but they have driven the market in a few ways that as PC users also have to be thankful for.

Personal Rig

Did they test it in games or OpenCL/CUDA compute?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I too, but they have driven the market in a few ways that as PC users also have to be thankful for.

In what way? They don't really do much at all in the PC market. 

You can make an argument they were a push towards the ultrabook PC line. 

Error: 410

smart phone, ipod and tablet. before android became a thing those were all superior products from anything on the market and to this day for a dedicated portable music player the ipod is arguably the best choice.

Op i don't believe this really it can't be accurate.

What do you expect from a trash can?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

What do you expect from a trash can?

that it stinks? what did you expect?

Off the top of my head...

1) Usability > Features. (Eg. The thing is actually works without me struggling with it for a day). Software used to be a pile crap of "features" but was never able to work. Apple kind of showed people that people need software that works with ease, not with a ton of features. I think this has the greatest impact on PCs as a whole. 

2) Power efficiency. Apple moved to RSIC (PowerPC) because of its power efficiency (aka. performance to power ratio). This caused Intel to optimise x86 in the early 80s and subsequently again a few years ago when Jobs threatened to use AMD chips in the Macbook airs, Intel started to develop the ULV chips, giving us a whole new era in power efficiency.

3) Build quality. BAck in the day, only Apple and ThinkPads were well build laptops, now most companies are jumping to make their flagships' nicely constructed in response to Apple's strong, but wasteful "unibody" construction.

Personal Rig

They don't even mention what kind of benchmark they're running, what an absolutely useless result. If they're running a game sure, but I doubt the laptop i7 and 780M of the iMac will be even close to this result when doing actual workstation work versus the new Mac Pro. Still very expensive but that has always been the case of the Mac Pro, but what an absolutely useless article.

Laugh...laugh with me. Laugh at the stupidity of people who actually read articles like this and see them as a valid source of information. -.-

So wait, they're testing an 8core with firepro computer against a quadcore with mobile geforce...

THIS MAKES NO SENSE, if the testers were dumb enough to buy the mac pro, they're probably also dumb enough to only use 4core tests.  Someone tell them to render highly tessellated 3D models and video rendering...

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

don't forget the high res laptop screen with their retina display on the macbook pro

k0an  jamesdbailey 

Thanks for saying that. This article is 100% clickbait.

Steve LeBlanc  k0an 

This site [bgr] is 100% clickbait.. Yet I click on it, so I have only myself to blame.

Looks like TopWargamer is the fool. The Verge has their review out and in many cases the benchmarks versus the iMac is nearly double.

In one benchmark it is. May I point you to the article to which this article refers to: http://www.macworld.com/article/2082568/lab-tested-new-mac-pro-is-the-speedster-weve-been-waiting-for-finally.html

We also ran another Photoshop test, one that uses only features that take advantage of the GPU. The new Mac Pro with its dual graphics finished this test in 162 seconds, 37 percent faster than the 2012 12-core Mac Pro, 48 percent faster than the 4-core Mac Pro from last year, 30 percent faster than our CTO 2013 iMac, and 17 percent faster than a high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Importing took around 131 seconds on the 2012 quad-core Mac Pro, but just under 16 seconds on the new Mac Pro. That was about one-third the time it took to for the 2013 CTO iMac with Fusion Drive to import the footage.

Rendering the project after applying the effects and analyzing the color took 80 seconds on that Retina MacBook Pro, but just under 40 seconds on the new Mac Pro.

I think you can read the rest for yourself.

smart phone, ipod and tablet. before android became a thing those were all superior products from anything on the market and to this day for a dedicated portable music player the ipod is arguably the best choice.

Op i don't believe this really it can't be accurate.

PC market

Off the top of my head...

1) Usability > Features. (Eg. The thing is actually works without me struggling with it for a day). Software used to be a pile crap of "features" but was never able to work. Apple kind of showed people that people need software that works with ease, not with a ton of features. I think this has the greatest impact on PCs as a whole. 

2) Power efficiency. Apple moved to RSIC (PowerPC) because of its power efficiency (aka. performance to power ratio). This caused Intel to optimise x86 in the early 80s and subsequently again a few years ago when Jobs threatened to use AMD chips in the Macbook airs, Intel started to develop the ULV chips, giving us a whole new era in power efficiency.

3) Build quality. BAck in the day, only Apple and ThinkPads were well build laptops, now most companies are jumping to make their flagships' nicely constructed in response to Apple's strong, but wasteful "unibody" construction.

I'd be inclined to disagree on 1, that sounds more like opinion but maybe you just have preference towards their design style. "User friendly" seems relative to me. 

Third falls under ultrabook, which I already acknowledged. 

The 'driving' you describe sounds more like extortion and exclusion rather than new design, concept, and innovation. Of course this is in reference to more so the modern PC market going back of a couple of years. 

Apple doesn't do much of anything in the PC market, they just buy the technology, mush it together, and sell it with a markup. All while throwing lawsuits at everyone and their gardener.  

don't forget the high res laptop screen with their retina display on the macbook pro

I can give you that one. 

Error: 410

PC market

I'd be inclined to disagree on 1, that sounds more like opinion but maybe you just have preference towards their design style. "User friendly" seems relative to me. 

Third falls under ultrabook, which I already acknowledged. 

I can give you that one. 

But still these are contributions. But I must restate, Apple influence and "innovation" in the market are greatly exaggerated. 

Personal Rig