Coolermaster Gx 650 bronze review

brownninja97

Ok so ive had this psu for about 6 months now, it works fine at the moment. In this review ill tell you about a few issues i had with it, but i will not go into efficiently specs, i dont have the equipment for that stuff. (at the time it was £45)

gallery_16690_297_917352.jpg

Appearance: Its quite in your face with the yellow text with the black background. Meaning its targeting gamers(not always a good thing). The cables are wrapped in a black coil so they dont explode into a mess of cables.

What you get: In the box is the psu on about 1cm of soft foam(a lot better then hard foam). I got a power plug as well for the uk(you will get one according to your country of course). There is the warranty information and some advertisement crap for their cases. A nice touch is that the four screws they give you are black.

gx_series_cable_quantity.jpg

^^above is what cables you get with each psu

Power efficiently:

GX650_label.jpgGX650_effcurve.jpgGX650_fancurve.jpg

The Fan noise: This must be mentioned by me, during idle i cant hear it at all but take a look at my specs below(in the sig). As you can see i should only be pushing around 300-400 max, however during gaming if i shut everything up i can hear the psu, for me its not a problem at all because its under my desk and i always have music or game music on, maybe headphones, if your a silent person(dont recommend that in gaming) then this isnt for you. Nearly forgot to mention that its a 120mm fan.

Problems I ran into: This problem is odd but it happened so you should know, when i first got the psu i used to try and save energy so it would go to screensaver every 2 minutes if im not using the pc, the psu didnt like this idea and would shut off straight away or it would blue screen. Its odd and i hadnt seen the issue before in my experience with pcs at the time. Whats even weirder is that around 3 months ago my harddrive failed so i put my copy of win7 onto a  new hdd, after that the issues with the power saving blue screens went away. 

Conclusion: 7/10(out of 80+ bronze psus, no point comparing it to a platinum psu)

The psu works and works pretty well, its not made for multi gpu setups sadly as quite a few 650w psus have more 8 pin power cables. Anyways there are a few problems here and there which is the fan noise, it doesnt affect me but some people dont like sound, also with the blue screen issue I definitely dont recommend this for Haswell cpus. The psu is pretty solid and with a few tweaks it could be up there will seasonic,corsair and XFX.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

nice review
just have a question about your rigs. why dont u combine them to make a better editing/gaming computer overall?

nice review

just have a question about your rigs. why dont u combine them to make a better editing/gaming computer overall?

my father uses the editing rig a lot, wish i could combine them but then he would lose a lot of performance which he needs, if i could combine them then i would of done so a long time ago. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

my father uses the editing rig a lot, wish i could combine them but then he would lose a lot of performance which he needs, if i could combine them then i would of done so a long time ago. 

Thank you so much for this review! It's like you literally made it for me :P since I'm getting it with my build and I heard people say its bad.  Anyway I'm gona be using a fx 8350 so i should be ok

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Thank you so much for this review! It's like you literally made it for me :P since I'm getting it with my build and I heard people say its bad.  Anyway I'm gona be using a fx 8350 so i should be ok

haha ok no problem, hope you enjoy it.

Listen if you care.

haha ok no problem, hope you enjoy it.

i cant wait to do some benchmarks on bf3 with mah build. probably wont reach 120/144 fps on ultra so will put it to medium i guess.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Wouldn't this be the older version since there is a GX II?

Wouldn't this be the older version since there is a GX II?

this is the second version of it, the first version had very small heatsinks so the fan would go all caps rage a lot. Its in my mothers pc, there isnt much of a issue with the psu but that other one was stupidly loud.

Listen if you care.

this is the second version of it, the first version had very small heatsinks so the fan would go all caps rage a lot. Its in my mothers pc, there isnt much of a issue with the psu but that other one was stupidly loud.

A friend of mine has one of the newer ones and he likes it. :)

A friend of mine has one of the newer ones and he likes it. :)

majority of the modern psus are fine, the main issue is noise but that doesnt bother me at all, sadly some people wet themselves when noise is mentioned, eg Define R4

Listen if you care.

majority of the modern psus are fine, the main issue is noise but that doesnt bother me at all, sadly some people wet themselves when noise is mentioned, eg Define R4

The R4 isn't the end all of silent cases, it still depends on the fans and their rpms. =p

The issue you had when using your screensaver is not psu related. It's a quite comon issue by the way.

The issue you had when using your screensaver is not psu related. It's a quite comon issue by the way.

what caused it, i thought it might be gpu related to i tried three gpus and the igpu, all had the same outcome

Listen if you care.