Good Luck Using Xbox One With Day One Update

SethAFitzgerald

Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will be useless until it is updated with the big "Day One" update.

New applications on the software side of the console simply won't work until the main Xbox One software is upgraded. This is due to the fact that many units have already been boxed up prior to launch and therefore have outdated software.

This should not be a big deal for most people but the download will probably take a while on the first day.

FULL STORY: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57611467-235/xbox-one-practically-unusable-without-day-one-update/

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

Imagine millions of people trying to download the same thing, from the same place, at relatively the same time.

Yeh like that is going to work flawlessly....

Expect to be sitting at the download screen for hours lol

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Imagine millions of people trying to download the same thing, from the same place, at relatively the same time.

I wonder if it will be as bad as the WiiU launch with some consoles taking hours to update.

Wow, day one nightmare download. This is going to do wonders for customer happiness :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

This is old news, anyways the update will remove the system's 24-hour online checks. The PS4 it has an day one update too and it will be for vita remote play and enable game sharing 

This is old news, anyways the update will remove the system's 24-hour online checks. The PS4 it has an day one update too and it will be for vita remote play and enable game sharing 

And to also remove all the DRM stuff (rumor) they put in but didn't tell you about when they saw how bad it went for xbox one.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

fix title

Good Luck Using Xbox One Without Day One Update

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It should work fine. I assume microsoft is ready for it since they know so far ahead. The only hurdle they are going to have it making sure people realise they have to do it and that it takes a while. The Wii U have a day one update and people were sutting then off and bricking them. The same thing happened with the ceton echo's I have.

And then people will turn off their consoles mid-update and brick them... Yeah, this won't end well. Way to think ahead, Microsoft.  :rolleyes:

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

More reasons to wait till a year after launch.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Don't people have any patience?  Microsoft has some beastly servers. Stuff usually downloads at max speed when I download from their website, this article is just making  a big deal out of nothing.

Don't people have any patience?  Microsoft has some beastly servers. Stuff usually downloads at max speed when I download from their website, this article is just making  a big deal out of nothing.

This is quite different. There will literally be tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people downloading this update all at the very same moment. I don't think Microsoft has ever had server load like that before.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I wonder if it will be as bad as the WiiU launch with some consoles taking hours to update.

That was more due to slow internet connections, given Nintendo's main audience. The biggest problem was people thinking it wasn't doing anything so they unplugged the Wii U and bricked the console. Still, I doubt Microsoft will really be phased by this, if Steam can handle launch day of 20GB AAA titles without it telling me their servers are down, I'm sure Microsoft can handle a lot of smaller updates.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

That was more due to slow internet connections, given Nintendo's main audience. The biggest problem was people thinking it wasn't doing anything so they unplugged the Wii U and bricked the console. Still, I doubt Microsoft will really be phased by this, if Steam can handle launch day of 20GB AAA titles without it telling me their servers are down, I'm sure Microsoft can handle a lot of smaller updates.

Hopefully. XBL seems to have been fairly reliable throughout the lifespan of the 360. That said, Steam slows to a crawl during sales are huge game launches so it's not exactly a great example.

Hopefully. XBL seems to have been fairly reliable throughout the lifespan of the 360. That said, Steam slows to a crawl during sales are huge game launches so it's not exactly a great example.

I haven't had an issue with them for the last 2 years sale or not, so it works for me. They're the only program I use that actually uses all the speed I pay for...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Do you think there is only one xbox live update server for like the world or something? You do realize that huge updates happen at least once a year on the Xbox 360 already right?

And then people will turn off their consoles mid-update and brick them... Yeah, this won't end well. Way to think ahead, Microsoft.  :rolleyes:

I dont think there will be a problem with that since Xbox owners are already used to regular updates. The reason why it happened on the ceton echo thing I mentioned is there was nothing telling you what it was doing or how far it was done etc. The Wii U thing happened because it wasnt known all that much in advance that it was going to be needed nor do I think did they make it all that know like microsoft is.

This is quite different. There will literally be tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people downloading this update all at the very same moment. I don't think Microsoft has ever had server load like that before.

At the very same moment lol thats not actually possible. Also there are updates all the time on 360 and fairly large ones at least once a year so I would think the servers are ready for it. Additionally the people buying these right away are probably the hardcore xbox fans so theyll most likely be used to the regular updates. Im sure there wil still be some stupid people who manage to brick their new consoles but thats their own damn fault.

So far the big releases online for the Wii U were good. I would think that Windwaker HD stressed it pretty well since it was available early via download.

• 2 weeks later...

Heys guys just though I would post that I just got my SteelSeries Rival and it had a Critical Firmware update. I managed to temporarily brick it as well I had to install it on another PC to revive it.

Like the servers that host their OS's, software, Office 365, technet, etc...? I have a feeling Microsoft knows whats up when it comes to server load.