Ex-Valve employees are making their own AR headset

TopWargamer

http://www.cnet.com.au/former-valve-devs-kickstart-new-arvr-glasses-339345669.htm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system

castar_1.jpg

Earlier this year, a round of lay-offs hit Valve. Included in the fallout were hardware developer Jeri Ellsworth and software developer Rick Johnson, and apparently, this is a match made in gaming heaven.

The pair, you see, had been developing a top-secret project that Valve allowed them to take with them — an augmented-reality system that displays 3D images right before your eyes that they are calling castAR.

castAR consists of a pair of active shutter glasses mounted with a pair of micro projectors and a retro-reflective surface, made out of the same kind of material you see used in high-visibility safety clothing and road markings, and embedded with infrared ID markers that allow it to track your head position and orientation. Each projector casts a stereoscopic 3D image on to the surface, which then appears to the wearer as an object in the real world — and thanks to the infrared markers, it stays in place as you move around.

I really wish the best for them and I hope their AR goggles get funded on Kickstarter. It'll be neat to see how these will be used.

COMIC SANS

Jeri Ellsworth has been working on this forever, no new news in the maker world but not all of are members are part of that community any way good post. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Decades later, the VR devices still scream nerd. Can't someone make a nice looking one that doesn't like like this childhood toy painted in black?

6d9b41f11b612872f1e6b36b8cc8a6cc.png

Decades later, the VR devices still scream nerd. Can't someone make a nice looking one that doesn't like like this childhood toy painted in black?

6d9b41f11b612872f1e6b36b8cc8a6cc.png

They look like sunglasses not google glasses.

Probably will still go with Oculus because they already have the seal of approval and compatibility with various companies & games like Valve or Star Citizen

Please go ahead and correct me on this, but I thought the Oculus came under 'VR' because it doesn't include something actually real in the game or whatever, so how can you compare the two??

I thought AR was like having a game character sit on your sofa at home, not a full 3D rendered environment?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Updated. Thanks!

COMIC SANS

I dunno, OR still looks better in my opinion.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Please go ahead and correct me on this, but I thought the Oculus came under 'VR' because it doesn't include something actually real in the game or whatever, so how can you compare the two??

I thought AR was like having a game character sit on your sofa at home, not a full 3D rendered environment?

Well it's VR as well and you put a sheet of retroreflective material onto the surface you want to be augmented ie. a coffee table displaying news or chess or a video game.

EDIT: Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2NQVQK69A

They look like sunglasses not google glasses.

The OP was edited after that picture was posted. ;)

Even after the edit showing these glasses, they still look awful design wise.