The 2P/4P Owners Club

This post will track LinusTechTips 2P and 4P owners, and to some extent highlight their commitment to the team. For those of you who don't know, this refers to two and four CPU based Folders that have 16+ cores and fold in Linux or ubuntu and therefore can get access to bigadv projects. These projects yield a LOT of points.

It will have some links, details on user's and links to their builds.

To gain membership you must:

- Have a 2P or 4P server, that is folding bigadv, and that can be verified through your build log, photos and to some extent, stats

Popular Links:

For version for running in Ubuntu, here is a link from [H]ardForum for their Ubuntu Desktop Install version:

Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H - [H]ard|Forum

And also a link for their new Ubuntu Appliance version:

http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1769083

The guys over at [H]ard are very helpful and it is a great place to hang out and learn. That are the #1 team and have lots of info there for people to check out.

[H]ardForum Distributed Computing

Current Members:

1 - @Whaler_99

System 1 Details - 32 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 6136, Magny Cours, Hyper212 Plus custom mod coolers, SuperMicro H8QGL-IF-O, @Spotswood open frame case, 16 x 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series memory

System 2 Details - 24 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 8425, @Spotswood open frame case, 8 x 2GB DDR2 ECC memory

System 3 Details - 24 Cores, HP ML330 G6, 2 x Intel Xeon E5649, 16GB DDR3

Whalers_4P Build Log

2 - @Imaginaerum

System 1 Details - 24 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 8425 HE, copper heatsinks with Antec 3 speed fans, Supermicro H8QME-2+, 16GB DDR2

System 2 Details - 16 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 8386 SE, copper heatsinks with Antec 3 speed fans, Supermicro H8QM3-2+, 24GB DDR2

My 24 & 16 Core 4P Folding Rigs (Updated!) (large pics)

3 - @ray_p1

System 1 Details - 24 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 8431, copper heatsinks with sweet Intel cooler fans, Supermicro H8QME-2+16GB DDR2

cheap 4p folding rig

4 - @tobben

System 1 Details - 48 Cores, 4 x AMD Opteron 6172, CM Hyper 212 Evo custom modded coolers, Supermicro H8QGL-IF+, 16 x 2GB DDR3, Corsair and Kingston

Tobben's 4p Build log (48 core folder, the monster is here!)

5 - ?? Will this be YOU??

Please keep posts in this thread related to and about 2P, 4P, bigadv, etc... thanks!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

My 2P rig isnt finished yet... Running only 8 cores now.

I should have both processor sockets populated by early next year though. I look forward to being on the list

~Judah

My 2P rig isnt finished yet... Running only 8 cores now.

I should have both processor sockets populated by early next year though. I look forward to being on the list

Looking forward to being able to add you! :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

i like the sound of this, but then i don't, because i've wanted a 4p folder now, and this is just makeing it worse... i think the wife would kill me if it just showed up in the mail, hahaha

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

would love to have a 2p rig but its WAAAAAAY to expencive for me :L the highes amount of cores i have in one rig is 2.....

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I have 2 2P  systems but I am having power supply issues. But I will send you the details once fixed!

\

I wish I could afford a 4P system... my priority is school atm though...  :(

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

So you need 16 cores to be able to fold bigadv ? :)

ah dammnit whaler you are abit early on this one! 

just wait! il have my 48 core folder up and running in no time! i just need to get the motherboard ram.

i will live on water for the next month of that's what it takes.( i probably have to)

So you need 16 cores to be able to fold bigadv ? :)

Yes, in order to qualify for bigadv you need to fold under linux/ubuntu/centos and have 16 cores. And, at 16, they need to be real. Not a 8 core system with 8 HyperThreaded ones - that will fail every WU.

The good thing with this one - those are 16, real cores. So, you would probably just be able to complete the WU's before the deadline. 8101, which are the hardest, may fail, but 8102-8105 should complete. I would estimate 100K with this one. One issue with these "server" systems, you have to use the PSU's they come with... and those older ones are anything if NOT power efficient. :) But, you can always pull one out and just run one PSU. But, it will draw. Probably 550-700 watts I would say...

But, at $200 bucks, this is pretty nice system to play with and learn with... Being in Canada, it won't show me shipping costs, so hopefully that isn't to much.

aghh, now you are making me want to make one.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

The good thing with this one - those are 16, real cores. So, you would probably just be able to complete the WU's before the deadline. 8101, which are the hardest, may fail, but 8102-8105 should complete. I would estimate 100K with this one. One issue with these "server" systems, you have to use the PSU's they come with... and those older ones are anything if NOT power efficient. :) But, you can always pull one out and just run one PSU. But, it will draw. Probably 550-700 watts I would say...

But, at $200 bucks, this is pretty nice system to play with and learn with... Being in Canada, it won't show me shipping costs, so hopefully that isn't to much.

$95 for shipping but I have an i7 920 based PC that I'm selling for $250 so I'm only spending ~$50 out of pocket on this. 

$95 for shipping but I have an i7 920 based PC that I'm selling for $250 so I'm only spending ~$50 out of pocket on this. 

So, all in all, $50 for a system to test and work with - pretty decent.

Would a old P3 or P4 2p system even be worth it? Or would it get like 10 ppd

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

P3 and P4 could only do dual CPU and now, they would not even qualify - could never get the minimum 16 cores. You could just run them as is with ubuntu for the fun of it through. But ya, P3 I don't think is even supported, a basic P4 earn you at most a few K PPD...

yeah, might not end of qualifying for the club though. the i7 machines is currently our Rails server so if I sell it and get this I might be reserving a couple cores for rails and only having 12-14 active folding.

Get two! :D

More is always better :)

ha there is only one of these left for sale but that same seller is selling a model with faster xeons and less ram for $160

3 - ?? Will this be YOU??

If only.... I am currently folding on my gaming rig. Wish i could have a dedicated system for it. Maybe someday! :D Btw, just wondering when/if i may get a badge for folding (don't quite understand how badges work.)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

If only.... I am currently folding on my gaming rig. Wish i could have a dedicated system for it. Maybe someday! :D Btw, just wondering when/if i may get a badge for folding (don't quite understand how badges work.)

Whaler gives out badges whenever he checks the active folder list. I think he does it monthly but it's whenever he feels like it.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Whaler gives out badges whenever he checks the active folder list. I think he does it monthly but it's whenever he feels like it.

Alright thank you. :)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Alright thank you. :)

Yeah I've been quietly waiting for mine. but I've been good and haven't asked because it says not to in the info/FAQ, hahaha  :lol: Hopefully he'll do it for us soon :)

EDIT: just to clarify in not folding just for the badge, its just nice to be reconsidered as part of the folding team :)

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L