Ultimate Case modding GUIDE - Submit your tutorials - Show off your mod!

megadarkwood

I'd say you best measure what diameter you'll need (probably different ones

for different bundles?), it's kind of hard for me to tell from here.

If you're unsure shoot an email to frozencpu's support, I'm sure they'll be

able to help you out more competently than I can.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Man, I totally forgot about this! I can't update without your guys submissions!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

What if you dont have a sand blaster ? , can you sand the case with like a disk sander or something ? What grit would you recommend ?

What if you dont have a sand blaster ? , can you sand the case with like a disk sander or something ? What grit would you recommend ?

It's certainly not impossible, but depending on what finish you're trying to sand

down it could be an enormous amount of work (I think stripping anodized alu parts

back to the alu with a sander would be quite a pain because the Alu-Oxide is very

hard), there are also chemical alternatives, depending on your existing finish. As

for the grit, you'd probably start out with a very rough one to remove as much coat

as quickly as possible, then finish off with whatever grit you need to make your

primer stick best (the primer I've used for some of my modding work recommends

400 grit). I've never done this though, so best not rely too heavily on my guesswork. ;)

I think @ALXAndy might have some input on this, IIRC he has quite a bit of experience

with paint work. I've also heard @B NEGATIVE talk about making a painting

tutorial, so he may have something to say as well.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

It depends how bad the finish is. Usually if it's paint then just start with a P400 and work your way to P600, then put down your primer etc. Make sure you sand with 600 between coats.

Paint needs a 'key' to basically run into (microscopically) so that it can hold onto the surface you are painting.

If it's bare metal just use an etch primer, then go about your business. For stripping paint from a case (down to bare metal if you're being really thorough) I would use one of these in a power drill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-9099-Paint-And-Rust-Stripper-/111159990510?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item19e1a6d8ee

I stripped the entire roof of a car down to bare metal using one of those lol.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

It's certainly not impossible, but depending on what finish you're trying to sand

down it could be an enormous amount of work (I think stripping anodized alu parts

back to the alu with a sander would be quite a pain because the Alu-Oxide is very

hard), there are also chemical alternatives, depending on your existing finish. As

for the grit, you'd probably start out with a very rough one to remove as much coat

as quickly as possible, then finish off with whatever grit you need to make your

primer stick best (the primer I've used for some of my modding work recommends

400 grit). I've never done this though, so best not rely too heavily on my guesswork. ;)

I think @ALXAndy might have some input on this, IIRC he has quite a bit of experience

with paint work. I've also heard @B NEGATIVE talk about making a painting

tutorial, so he may have something to say as well.

Stripping anodozing is ridiculously easy,soak the component in a strong solution of caustic soda and boiling water.

The anodizing will just fall off.

Like this:

NCgDsMk.jpg

Sparkly! In 10 mins!

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Stripping anodozing is ridiculously easy,soak the component in a strong solution of caustic soda and boiling water.

The anodizing will just fall off.

Like this:

<sparkly>

Sparkly! In 10 mins!

Yay for chemicals! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great basic video on how to make a window for your case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZoE-zj0-k

Its already there :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any others that have attempted the following idea?

I want to solder all the connectors on the motherboard to the back, and dremel holes for them in my case if necessary.

I have the soldering skills, and I hope I have a steady dremel hand on the day I am attempting it.

But I was just wondering if there are any tips, and pics, so I could check out pictures really to see if it's worth it. :P

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

I want to solder all the connectors on the motherboard to the back, and dremel holes for them in my case if necessary.

I have the soldering skills, and I hope I have a steady dremel hand on the day I am attempting it.

But I was just wondering if there are any tips, and pics, so I could check out pictures really to see if it's worth it. :P

I found this: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-94617.html

Might want to check it out, good luck!

You might also be interested in this build log.

I found this: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-94617.html

Might want to check it out, good luck!

Hah, thanks, I really just found that link via Google.

I guess it is just double checking every pin and go.

I wonder if it will look clean or just look really empty now, haha.

You might also be interested in this build log.

Nice!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r489/Bas_Kaandorp/Clean%20Build/36_zps095d566f.jpg

^This is a great idea to prevent screwing up. :)

I will go and try it in my upcoming build now for sure.

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

• 1 month later...

hey people need a helping hand

would like to put a analog temp gauge in my rig for a up coming build

its from a skyline water temp but i would like for it to show my cpu temp ?

how can i do it!!!!

seen in on a build before but dont know how its done ?

please help !!!!

• 1 month later...

seems legit

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I was telling my girlfriend last night I wanted to get into basic modding for doing custom builds.  Thank's to this guide I can do more than just custom builds now. I'll be able to take some older cases and apply it.  Before I only could see how it was done via video. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Do you need a modular PSU to sleeve cables?

MY COMPUTER-

Motherboard: ASRock B85-M Pro 4, Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 280 Gaming 3GB, CPU: Intel i5 4590 Stock Cooler, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Case: My Beloved Phanteks Enthoo Pro :wub: PSU: Cougar PowerX 700W Storage: 1x Segate 1TB 1x WD Blue 250GB 1x WD Blue 350GB, Wireless Adapter: TP Link WN881ND, Monitor: BenQ VZ2350.                      To Learn how to troll, Click here

Do you need a modular PSU to sleeve cables?

No, but it will make it a LOT easier.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a good podforum to ask in,
Do you have idea how to mod case back door to make it fit cables (for cable menagment)?
I have no idea what to put there to make it look like a belly after i cut hole. :D

This looks like a good podforum to ask in,

Do you have idea how to mod case back door to make it fit cables (for cable menagment)?

I have no idea what to put there to make it look like a belly after i cut hole. :D

So you want to cut a hole into the back panel and make it bigger? like add a hump?

So you want to cut a hole into the back panel and make it bigger? like add a hump?

Yes, My problem is when i put all cables behind mobo there is no way to close back door (case is thermaltake v4 black edition btw), so I want to cut that back door (like when you are about to make window) but i will not put plexiglass ,instead I ned to make something like a bowl shape(obviusly way more shalow and wider) ,and I dont know what to make it out of.

Sorry for my bad english, i cant find perfect word to describe what i want

Yes, My problem is when i put all cables behind mobo there is no way to close back door (case is thermaltake v4 black edition btw), so I want to cut that back door (like when you are about to make window) but i will not put plexiglass ,instead I ned to make something like a bowl shape(obviusly way more shalow and wider) ,and I dont know what to make it out of.

Sorry for my bad english, i cant find perfect word to describe what i want

This case have something simular to what i want on back door,only its pre-made.

4752037-1.jpg

This case have something simular to what i want on back door,only its pre-made.

Now I understand.

Maybe use some sort of tupperware and paint it black? or create a box from some sheet metal?