Run two different GPUs in one PC?

Dazz

Hello, this summer I built myself a new PC, and am running an R9 290x (AMD), and I was wandering, would I be able to run that at the same time as a GT 620 (Nvidia). I would want to do this as I want to run my old monitor through VGA, which my curent build does not have as I am using an FX 8350, so no integrated option. Thanks!

My current specs:
AMD FX-8350
Radeon R9 290x (4GB ASUS DCU-II)
MSI 970 Gaming mobo
16GB DDR3 1600 CORSAIR VENGEANCE (4x4GB)
CX750M

Hello, this summer I built myself a new PC, and am running an R9 290x (AMD), and I was wandering, would I be able to run that at the same time as a GT 620 (Nvidia). I would want to do this as I want to run my old monitor through VGA, which my curent build does not have as I am using an FX 8350, so no integrated option. Thanks!

My current specs:

AMD FX-8350

MSI 970 Gaming mono

CX750M

Pretty sure you could, but might be better to pick up a DVI to VGA adapter.

You can indeed.

When developers start using DX12 maybe, but at the moment, no.

You're thinking of two GPUs on 1 monitor

You would be much better off getting a dvi to vga adapter (in fact one should have been included for your graphics card, but if not... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181536219405?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 )

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

You can't crossfire an Nvidea card

That's not his goal. He wants a low end card to just power a display. A 290x with a Gt 620 would probably see <1% performance increase.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

That's not his goal. He wants a low end card to just power a display. A 290x with a Gt 620 would probably see <1% performance increase.

You can't run an integrated and a dedicated, so how would that work?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I think you can, on my old PC I was able to power two monitors off my GT 620 and then two others off my integrated on the Pentium I had (it wasn't good for much but was a fun experiment)

Pretty sure you could, but might be better to pick up a DVI to VGA adapter.

Yeah, I may just do that, but I was just wandering as I would have to wait to do that whereas I have got the 620 already.

You can enable iGPU Multi Monitor (Or atleast that's what I think it's called) in BIOS and be able to use both dGPU and iGPU.

Or if you have a VirtuMVP enabled board, you can use that as well.

R9 290x is definitely not integrated. And no matter how lackluster a gt 620 is, it's still not integrated. No FX cpu has integrated graphics

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Yeah, I may just do that, but I was just wandering as I would have to wait to do that whereas I have got the 620 already.

If you bought it just a few days ago, you could return it and pickup a VGA to DVI adapter.

R9 290x is definitely not integrated. And no matter how lackluster a gt 620 is, it's still not integrated. No FX cpu has integrated graphics

You misunderstood me. You can't run a instigated and dedicated graphics chip/board, (at least with moder Intel equipment) so I was wondering how that would work with cards from separate manufacturers. And when I say work, I mean at least the same level of performance of just running both off the 290.

If you bought it just a few days ago, you could return it and pickup a VGA to DVI adapter.

I have had this GPU for a lonnggggg time now xD

You could . You just have to choose which card would be powering your system.

And you couldn't use your 290x to play games while you use your gt 620.

I believe linus did a video where he used two different gpus in one rig.

It's called "sli and crossfire in the same PC".

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If they're powering two different displays, it'll work just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You could . You just have to choose which card would be powering your system.

And you couldn't use your 290x to play games while you use your gt 620.

I believe linus did a video where he used two different gpus in one rig.

It's called "sli and crossfire in the same PC".

But I seem to remember in that build they could only use the Crossfire OR SLI at one time, that they would need to reboot in order to use the other one. Also the 620 would not be used for anything intense, I would only be using the display powered by the 290x to run games, and the other monitor would only be used to display simple things like documents and skype ect.

But I seem to remember in that build they could only use the Crossfire OR SLI at one time, that they would need to reboot in order to use the other one. Also the 620 would not be used for anything intense, I would only be using the display powered by the 290x to run games, and the other monitor would only be used to display simple things like documents and skype ect.

You can't do that.You  can only use the gt 620 to run games if that's the card you monitor is hooked up to.

You can't run your 290x and gt 620 at the same time like you want to, sorry.

The solution would be to use a dvi to vga adapter . You'd have to use an active adapter as the 290x only supports digital video through dvi.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

My current specs:

AMD FX-8350

MSI 970 Gaming mobo

CX750M

You can. Although it may have driver issues if you mix AMD/Nvidia cards. But don't expect them to work together. It will NOT boost gaming performance (unless the game is in DirectX 12, but really you are adding a 620, so it will be probably be <5fps increase at best).

Oh my gosh people >.<

Yes, you can. Yes, you should. Don't get an adapter if you already have the GPU. Just plug it in, potentially install the drivers, and have fun! Do keep in mind, that you do have to plug your main monitor (according to Windows/whatever) into your 290X, so it will use that GPU for most or all things.

Why do I know? Well, I've tried it first hand, I have now been running my Nvidia *whatever* 7300LE for quite a while, together with my GTX 680, AND with my iGPU. It has always worked fine. I think I've also tried it with an AMD GPU, this also worked. (about the iGPU, bear in mind that that only works on some motherboards)

Now everyone who says it is not possible, should just either try it theirselves, or google some more. Thanks.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

You can. Although it may have driver issues if you mix AMD/Nvidia cards. But don't expect them to work together. It will NOT boost gaming performance (unless the game is in DirectX 12, but really you are adding a 620, so it will be probably be <5fps increase at best).

The plan is not to use it to help performance, more so that I can just be able to run a VGA monitor, when I have a 290x which does not support VGA. It is not for gaming in any way.

Oh my gosh people >.<

Yes, you can. Yes, you should. Don't get an adapter if you already have the GPU. Just plug it in, potentially install the drivers, and have fun! Do keep in mind, that you do have to plug your main monitor (according to Windows/whatever) into your 290X, so it will use that GPU for most or all things.

Why do I know? Well, I've tried it first hand, I have now been running my Nvidia *whatever* 7300LE for quite a while, together with my GTX 680, AND with my iGPU. It has always worked fine. I think I've also tried it with an AMD GPU, this also worked. (about the iGPU, bear in mind that that only works on some motherboard)

Now everyone who says it is not possible, should just either try it theirselves, or google some more. Thanks.

I googled it, asked the exact same question on this forum when I got a free monitor. So don't know what to tell you, everyone a month ago said you couldn't. Riddle me this and I'll enable my integrated again and give it a go.

If you use two GPU's to run two separate monitors, can you have two different wallpapers?

I googled it, asked the exact same question on this forum when I got a free monitor. So don't know what to tell you, everyone a month ago said you couldn't. Riddle me this and I'll enable my integrated again and give it a go.

If you use two GPU's to run two separate monitors, can you have two different wallpapers?

I think you need to download a program for that, but then it's easily doable. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7