I always use my laptop plugged in

AlanAlan

I use my laptop like a desktop and it is always plugged in l what can I do to prevent the battery from getting killed?

drain it once a week. every week let it go down to 10% and recharge

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Take it out of your laptop.

Drain it. than take it out....

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

I always used my laptop while it was plugged in (when I actually had a laptop Dec 2010-May 2012)

Honestly modern batteries can stand for being charged all the time. Some laptops have auto circle for recharging where lot stop waits until charge drops to 90% before starting to recharge again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

After a year of being plugged in, my laptop battery pretty died. Barely get 5 minutes out of it...
So I'd say to take it out of the laptop and charge it once every season or so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I do that once a month. Should be enough IMHO.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Yeah, I make a good habit of never having my batter in if I am just going to stay in one place. I do keep it charged when I take it out, but that's only because I plug it back in because I need portability.

My profile (my personal list of top gaming desktops under $1k)

Currently playing: NBA 2k16, Battlefield 4

Modern laptops use a Lipo or lithium ion battery and this battery technology has no memory. It doesn't require to be fully discharged in order to maintain its state, actually the only real requirement is that its never overcharged or empty and that the amount of charge push into it depends on its current voltage. Most laptops will tell you that you have 0 power at around 10% actual battery capacity so that it has a good month when not being used before it would actually run dry and ruin the battery. So practically with a laptop you need to ensure you charge it regularly. The ideal is actually to leave it around 50% charge and charge it to this every month and keep it in ideal temperature settings yada yada. In practice if your using it on a daily basis there is no issue having it always be charged.

People seem to think they should be discharged but that really isn't the case, its what nimh batteries required and its actually slightly detrimental to a lipo which looses small amounts of capacity everytime its cycled, about 400 such discharge cycles halves the capacity.

I do that once a month. Should be enough IMHO.

How do I drain the battery it is not removable