Upgrading a laptop Screen - It is possible?

fabiosapplou

Hello,

I decide that i had enough of rubbish TN LCD panels, and this got me thinking, perhaps it is possible to upgrade my laptops screen, after a little search i find that meny people does not tray it because it's "difficult". I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem as difficult as they say.

So, before i try, what do you guys think? Is it a stupid idea?

I have a Acer Aspire V3-571g

Intel I7-3610QM (Intel Graphics 4000)

Nvidea Geforce GT 640M 2GB VRAM

16GB DDR3 RAM

Crucial MX200 250GB SSD

And i want to upgrade to an IPS FHD (1920x1080)

Thank you.

for 99.9% of people. no its not possible.

Its not just difficult, its borderline impossible due to differing dimensions across screens, thickness, adaptability, and connectivity.

You might be able to ghetto something together, but 99.9% chance it will not work the way you want it to.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I have actually done this on an Asus g46vw, but that was probably a fringe case as they actually made a 1600x900 screen that used the same connector (mine came with a 1366x768 screen) it really wasn't that hard, so if you can find your exact model and they have a higher res display (which in most cases they don't) then yeah you can and it's not especially difficult.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Your panel is most likely connected with a very fragile cable which you could damage. I've seen people do it with some laptops (apparently it's easy on the Y50 for example, but near impossible on others) so you should really see if there's a vid of your laptop...

Its not very hard depending on if the laptop uses a standard display cable, and the bezel easily pops off. This was the case on my old MSI laptops, and while I did not get around to replacing the TN panel, there were an abundance of 17.3" panels that I could have used.

Try dismantling it, or looking up a teardown of your laptop to see if it is easy, and if it uses a standard display cable.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

But do you think i can damage the computer by tying that? Or you're not sure just because of the mechanics?

There are a handful of sellers on amazon and ebay that argue to have displays that fit my computer, do you think its a reliable option?

I was thinking like, well, if they say it works...

Once again thank you.

(Sorry if i mess up my words, but i'm Portuguese, so...)

But do you think i can damage the computer by tying that? Or you're not sure just because of the mechanics?

There are a handful of sellers on amazon and ebay that argue to have displays that fit my computer, do you think its a reliable option?

I was thinking like, well, if they say it works...

Once again thank you.

(Sorry if i mess up my words, but i'm Portuguese, so...)

Yes you could. As pointed out, you could damage the display connection (which obviously is not good on a laptop), you could damage the chassis while taking things apart as well...  doubt that could do damage to stuff that is not the display or connection to it, though.

Its not very hard depending on if the laptop uses a standard display cable, and the bezel easily pops off. This was the case on my old MSI laptops, and while I did not get around to replacing the TN panel, there were an abundance of 17.3" panels that I could have used.

Try dismantling it, or looking up a teardown of your laptop to see if it is easy, and if it uses a standard display cable.

I have the service guide of my computer, and it does not seem to me that i'll have much trouble changing it.

basically the problem is finding the right display isn't it?

Yes you could. As pointed out, you could damage the display connection (which obviously is not good on a laptop), you could damage the chassis while taking things apart as well...  doubt that could do damage to stuff that is not the display or connection to it, though.

Yes, but regarding the mechanical parts i am not very worried, is more like (and i read that some were) if i damage the graphic processor our something in case my computer can't handle more resolution. Do you think that's possible?

I have the service guide of my computer, and it does not seem to me that i'll have much trouble changing it.

basically the problem is finding the right display isn't it?

Yep. checking if someone else has already posted about replacing their monitor is always a good place to start, and do note that the display cables are very fragile (took me a while to put them back on the display without bending the pins)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd