Silver Lake's Talks with AMD for 25% Stake Have Been Stalled

HKZeroFive

SilverLake.JPG

Advanced Micro Devices Inc., a struggling competitor to Intel Corp., was in talks to sell about a 25 percent stake to private-equity firm Silver Lake Management before the negotiations stalled, people with knowledge of the matter said.

The two sides, which met over the summer, have put the discussions on hold after failing to agree on a price and strategy, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. AMD is also considering other strategic options, another person said.

AMD is losing market share to Intel in processors for personal computers and servers. It’s trying to branch out into custom chips in an initiative that has so far failed to bring in enough revenue to make up for the orders it’s losing in a declining PC market. The company currently has a market value of about $1.3 billion.

A spokesman for Sunnyvale, California-based AMD declined to comment, as did a representative for Silver Lake.

Although I feel personally that both parties won't reach an agreement and the talks will likely go nowhere, this could be huge for AMD if they actually do. But this stall in talks probably says quite a lot of about the situation currently, so it's not looking too good.

For those who don't know, the company 'Silver Lake' did the buyout of Dell in 2013, which was arguably one of the biggest tech buyouts ever. Also, they bought Skype from EBay in 2009 IIRC, and later sold it to Microsoft.

Although it seems unlikely, but if Silver Lake acquires a 25% stake from AMD, it could really change some things.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-28/amd-said-to-have-held-stalled-investment-talks-with-silver-lake

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Silver Lake sounds like an Intel processor.

(Skylake, Kaby Lake, Cannonlake, Silver Lake, see it fits)

Inb4 silver lake is intel xD

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

25% would only add up to some 300m$ wouldn't it? At best?

It could help them make it a bit longer but it's not gonna save them on its own

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Silver Lake is one of the groups that helped Dell go private again, and that was a good success story for both sides. Maybe we'll see good news out of these talks.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It could help them make it a bit longer but it's not gonna save them on its own

300mill is roughly the "average" cost of developing a new CPU architecture these days....

funny that

You could say, but I'd imagine something like access to the x84_64 instruction set would be difficult to value. Intel's not going to share it, so maybe snatching part of AMD can grant access.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

You could say, but I'd imagine something like access to the x84_64 instruction set would be difficult to value. Intel's not going to share it, so maybe snatching part of AMD can grant access.

would a firm like silver lake even have any use for the x84_64, it not like they will be making any cpus.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

AMD's worth 1.3 billion. what a time to be alive.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB